5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous writing, intriguing murder mystery - loved it
Published 20 months ago by Chris

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as interesting as it sounded
I found this a little dull and was expecting more. It was a slow read and didn't live up to the expectations I had.
Published 11 months ago by Mrs M V Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous writing, intriguing murder mystery - loved it, 1 May 2013
Chris (Cheltenham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdcage Walk: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
I don't normally read historical fiction so I chose this book more for the murder mystery element than the historical references but the writing is so fabulous, so evocative of the period, both in the style of the prose and the descriptions of the sights, sounds and realities of the era that I was immediately drawn in and I loved it. I can't remember the last time I read so greedily, finishing the book in a week as I was compelled to by George Woolfe's plight and the injustices of class that are explored both through the protagonist's unfolding story and the efforts of George's more well-to-do acquaintances to come to his aid. The plot intricacies are revealed to the reader from the beginning to the last, piquing our curiosity throughout. I would thoroughly recommend this book to all, even if, like me, you usually select more modern settings. I hope that the author has more work to come as I would definitely read more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Birdcage Walk: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This was a wonderful novel which transported you to early Edwardian times. The characters were so well written that you became very involved with them and their lives. Beautifully descriptive and evocative of the times and lives of the characters that you were completely swept into the story. Please read but beware it is difficult to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit different..., 8 Mar 2014
Mrs. Sa Oram (Stratford-upon-Avon) - See all my reviews
An interesting read with a will-he-won't-he theme through it all. I'd recommend this as a good holiday read if you like some substance to your stories

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping true story, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Birdcage Walk: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
The author tells the very sad, but fascinating true story of an unfortunate series of events that place the central character, George Wolfe at the scene of a crime he did not commit.
In telling his story, she vividly brings Edwardian London back to life.
If you enjoy historical crime novels, you will love this book. It is well written and researched. I would recommend that you give it a try.

4.0 out of 5 stars A touching depiction of late Victorian London., 6 Feb 2014
D. Taylor (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
An interesting portrayal of the working classes and the prejudices and hardships faced during the turn of the twentieth century.
Descriptive and poignant.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as interesting as it sounded, 18 Jan 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, 31 Dec 2013
Sheila (Bradford, England) - See all my reviews
I know I didn't pay an awful lot for this but ...... This was such a boring, drawn out story that I couldn't bring myself to finish it and there have been very few books that I have not finished. Too dreary for words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping story, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Birdcage Walk: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
This is a great novel. We very soon got into the flow of the story and were gripped throughout. There are many twists and turns and right up to the last few pages we were left wondering how it would end.
Some novels have very disappointing endings and the story that I have spent so long with fails to end properly.
This is definitely not the case with this book.
A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review Birdcage walk, 5 Dec 2013
An easy read; descriptive and and lures you into the story. Difficult to put once you're about half way through. I find my self thinking of excuses to go to bed early, so I'm not reading until the wee hours. Best 63 p I spent in a long. Will pass onto friends etc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 Oct 2013
B. Brown (Northumberland, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Birdcage Walk: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
The book starts well and draws you into the atmospheric world of mystery that the author has created. But the writing is uneven; the age of the protagonist is never firmly established, which causes confusion, and there are long passages which should have been more tightly edited. However there are some evocative glimpses of the two different ways of life and good characterisation. I would say try it and see what you think.

Birdcage Walk: A Novel