on 27 November 2012
I have a habit of saving up loose change and then blowing it on something frivolous and silly and this purchase was no exception. However I am pleasantly surprised with the Nike Fuelband which arrived within two days of ordering. It is easy to charge and understand taking a couple of hours before I put it on and it is still going strong a week later. I am not a keep fit fanatic and am under no illusions as to the accuracy of the fuelband but it is addictive and will help you excercise more and definately lose weight. The "calories" and "steps taken" read outs are a bit of a gimmick and, especially the calory count, can't be very accurate? It is the "fuel used" which does the business. I have set mine for 2000 units to begin with and with the exception of Lazy Sunday I have usually hit the total by mid afternoon. On a couple of occasions when I have been refereeing a football match or playing table tennis I have doubled the total. On the few occasions when I am short of my goal I have taken the dog for an extra walk so you see The Nike Fuelband benefits everyone!!
Okay, I have had the Fuel Band for around 10 days. For those who don't know much about this nifty gadget, it is essentially an accelerometer, calculating your daily steps taken, calories spent, Nike fuel used (I'll come to this in a moment) as well as doubling up as a watch!

Leading a fairly active life-style, I will boldly confess that this was more of a 'want' than a 'need' product. Admittedly, no one actually needs this device, but it is an excellent self-motivator to stay active. I constantly find myself punching the air in order to reach my daily goal Nike fuel! So what is Nike fuel? Well, it is Nike's currency for energy expenditure. Think calories, in a communal universal pedometer currency. It is based on hand movements, and exercises such as cycling won't make a huge count. Typically, a 7 km run earns me around 700-800 Nike fuel points. Climbing around 200 steps at Covent Garden Underground Station in London got me no more than 45 points (which I can assure you is more strenuous than a 7 km run!).

Data is the fed back to Nike+ servers, allowing you to view this data in a graph, as well as track your progress. Funky animations and 'trophies' are shown for goals and milestones completed. However, it is worth mentioning that not all trophies/achievements are awarded, and Nike claim to be working on these bugs/issues.

The Fuel Band is a fantastic device which is as aesthetically pleasing as it's functionality. A simple design which is well crafted allows the user to adjust the size of the band with provided sizing clips, providing a snug (or loose) fit. Data is conveyed by pressing a single button, which toggles between each feature (time, Nike fuel, steps taken and calories). The only slight niggle I have with this device is the battery life, which lasts around 3 days.

The Fuel Band is definitely something which I feel (on a personal note) other companies will try to capitalise on, and with rumours of an iWatch device from Apple surfacing, believe this may be in the near future.