5.0 out of 5 stars Star trek
relly good read , sad to here about the old DS9 station but it draws upon what the new station is like and what its hopes are for
Published 6 months ago by Kevin

2.0 out of 5 stars A beginning...
Published 10 months ago by The Other

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars A beginning..., 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Star Trek: The Fall: Revelation and Dust (Star Trek: The Next Generation) (Kindle Edition)
And a long one. Whilst it's nice to see certain characters reunited, the two year gap between this and the previous group of stories is all told in brief exposition, and mixed in with what is very clearly a pilot for the new deep space 9. All of this means that nothing fundamentally happens action wise for 60 percent of the book, and that includes a literal retelling of part of the story of 'Emissary'. The B plot involving what may or may not be Bajors past doesn't manage to do much to carry the first half of the book, even though thematically it is very much in keeping with Ds9 in both its television and literary forms. Sadly though, the last third of the book doesn't so much tell a story as set you up for the next book, leaving you with something that whilst it feels like a new pilot episode, doesn't leave you feeling like a story has been told. Character moments themselves also occasionally feel either forced to make you value seeing the characters together on the page again, or to set up obvious future events. The only big twists actually come two pages before the end, but otherwise in some respects, though enjoyable as a ds9 fan, it feels like emissary version 2.0, making it something like ds9' s third ' new' pilot. To get the most out of it, familiarity with the tv show and certainly the previous novel relaunch is a good idea, but there is so much exposition regarding the new station that its not too bad a place to star for new readers. As an old reader though, I feel mildly cheated out of the two years we have skipped ahead, and frustrated that certain threads have not been resolved, and mildly...sad...that there wasn't a big story in here. It feels like an episode, which is a good thing, but it feels like part one of a three part arc. I will be returning for the next book, and no doubt the next ones after that, simply to get the story and enjoy the episodes. But I think a lesson should have been learnt from cold equations, in that each book should also have its own story. Speaking of which, that ended on a set up for things to come, and we will again have jumped two years next time we meet the Tng crew. Whilst I understand the desire for clarity for new readers, I am not sure the two year jump was a wise editorial decision. Final note on this book...long term readers will maybe figure out directions for the future just from the blurbs. I am hopeful for what appears to be a nice 'series' to this year's books, but this year, would like some resolution. You may also want to make that implied love triangle either more obvious or less obvious. Editors and fellow readers know who I speak of I am sure. And I am in camp spots, and hang the consequences.

1.0 out of 5 stars So long a wait,so little reward., 28 Aug 2013
If I had wished to 're read the emissary I would have! This book was exposition on top of interminable inaction.the dialogue between characters was forced .I just found the kira sub plot dull and ended up skipping it entirely.after all the good work of the last books I hope this is an aberration.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing but entertaining., 30 Aug 2013
I have eagerly awaited this book since it was announced and when I finally got around to reading it (Very early. Thank you, Amazon!) I was somewhat disappointed, but not as much as some people seem to be. In many ways it's appropriate that a few early chapters take so much from the DS9 pilot, "Emissary", because it comes across a lot like a weaker pilot episode for a new series. I later went back and re-assessed "Emissary" more favourably, so I am curious if I will do the same once The Fall gets into full swing, because it seems like a lot of set up for the rest of the series. The new DS9 crew from the last few books are back, but we are still getting to know them, many just being names without much of a personality at this point. The story can stand alone, but it wants you to come back for the next part.

The focus of the book shifts between two main plot threads, switching back and forth between chapters as David R. George III has frequently done with his books in the past and has often helped to keep my interest in each story. In this case however one of them feels much weaker, and whilst I eventually understood its purpose, I still found myself wanting to rush through those chapters and get back to the main action. I wouldn't say you could completely remove them and still have the same story, but a lot of it could have been trimmed down without anyone missing it too much.

It's not all bad though, the memorial scenes early on were important after the previous story and it was nice to have so many familiar faces brought back. Also, I still enjoy the author's style of writing, which manages to keep me reading during the less frantic moments and his descriptions of the new station really helped to draw me into it. There's a moment later on that the book had clearly been building towards, and was fairly obvious to predict going in, but still hits you hard when it happens.

Overall I would say it was good, but it could have been so much more. I would recommend it, so long as you understand it is clearly a beginning to something larger.

One more minor issue is something I've noticed several times in the author's books and pops up again here. He occasionally makes reference to future moments in the book, saying things like "She would realise 2 days from now how wrong she had been" or "All that would change when he saw (tragic event)". It's not terrible, it can just be a little jarring and sometimes spoils what could be more shocking if he hadn't said anything.

2.0 out of 5 stars Soooo boooooring...., 17 May 2014
In my humble opinion as a very long time Trekkie, DS9 is the less intesresting of the 5 series (TOS, TNG, DS9, VG and Enterprise). Well, you have here the most boring novel ever written around DS9 characters. Plus, 80% of them in the book are female, and just annoying. I should have followed the advice of my wife and stop reading after the first chapters...

1.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd never bought it, 26 Feb 2014
I confess to being a Trekkie - have collected the books over the last 25 years. There are very few that make me feel cheated but this is one. Looked at the others in the series - and put them down very quickly. No spark of any description made me want to buy them. This one looked a bit better bringing back old favourites but... the review by Commins says it all.
It drifts forwards and backwards, chops and changes between characters and basically - says nothing.
If you want a good, gripping story in the good old Captain Kirk style - forget it. This was boring, boring, boring and I abandoned it at page 128 - and it took me dogged reading to get that far I can tell you.
Made me feel as though this series was just out to make some money and sod the story line.

4.0 out of 5 stars A definite part 1 of..., 3 Jan 2014
It's definitely worth a read, but if I am honest with you, they take so long painting the picture, there isn't a lot of time to marvel at the beauty. I just felt they spent 9 chapters building it up the act 2 finale, then they rush act 3.

Still a good book, even though I found the Kira storyline a bit of a bore.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting beginning, 31 Dec 2013
I downloaded this book onto my kindle and have a love for Star Trek novels. The book is effecitvely split into two seperate stories that run beside each other throughout. In my opinion it took a while to get to the interesting part of one of the stories but it was worth persevering with. It is reasonably well written and has definitely hooked me into this Five part story arch. Already downloaded the other 4 and hastily reading them. The price is more than fair as well. Would recommend to any Star Trek fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars ok, 31 Dec 2013
only thing i will say like others i skipped the kira subplot it was just a rehash of old episodes n things that made little part of the important story. it only got really good 3 quaters way through stick with it to then and the last quater makes up for the bad first 3 quaters if only to keep you interested to see what happens next

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor start to the series, 27 Dec 2013
If you enjoy ponderous sentence structures and stories that end up nowhere this is the book for you. I took a long break from Star Trek novels after 'Plagues of Night' and 'Raise the Dawn' made me never want to see or read anything to do with Star Trek ever again. However, knowing I had a long holiday over Christmas I decided to read the excellent 'Brinkmanship' by Una McCormack. That book was exciting and fast paced, actually telling a story that went somewhere. It made me want to read another book which is how I ended up here.

The major issue with Revelation and Dust, and a lot of other Trek novels, is the retelling of every characters back story in stultifying depth in virtually every chapter, often repeated from the perspective of other characters. This also happens with some of the incidents in the main thrust of this 'story'. The effect of this is that you feel like you're wading through treacle and never getting anywhere. Elements from the TV shows, movies and books are all repeated here. I've heard this method of storytelling defended by other Star Trek fans saying, 'What if someone new to Star Trek reads this story' but it just doesn't add up. Firstly, most people have seen some element of Star Trek and are familiar with the back stories of the characters. Secondly, most people do an elementary bit of research about books and find out which is the first of a series and start there before buying.

I've also seen a few people saying, 'Well, it's just setting up the rest of this series of books' but that's not much of a defence either. The opening book of the Destiny and Titan series' were much more engaging although they also featured a lot of backstory 'flashbacks' that would have already been known by fans.

The long-winded story may not have been so bad in itself but it is coupled with the use of a lot of esoteric words and extremely convoluted sentences which make it a difficult read. The scenes that the sentences are describing do not, in any way, warrant a complex structure. The novel also gets mired in a lot of unnecessary detail, I'm not sure if this level of detail about trivial matters appeals to a certain segment of the fanbase or not. That's certainly the cliche.

Revelation and Dust leans way too heavily on the DS9 episode 'The Emmisary' too. If you've seen that episode you have also inadvertantly read parts of this book which describe the episode again almost scene for scene. This whole element of the sub-plot, featuring Kira Nerys, is entirely unsatisfying and tediously dull and provides no interest or any new information. I hope future novels should draw a line under the Prohpets being an active force, I don't find them interesting although maybe others do. That seems to be the way the storylines are heading naturally. The worst part of these chapters is the dialogue, it feels unnatural and lacks any real emotional depth and the arc of the story is signposted in quite an obvious way. If the Kira chapters had been left out altogether it would not have been to the detriment of the book in any way.

The key element of the story, the part that is supposed to pack a wallop and drive on the series, feels like it is tacked on to the end. I won't say exactly what happens but it should come as a shock. The ultimate denouement is unsatisfying and could be guessed (not the exact circumstances) well in advance. The characters in the book are unconvincing in this aspect too because you would imagine that they would have learned from their previous unlikely experiences instead of jumping to immediate conclusions.

As a bizarre aside the book refers to the 'refresher' or ''fresher', in other words the 'space bathroom', at least ten times. I can only assume that this was due to some sort of bet. It was good to know that Captain Ro does have a shower before she goes on shift though.

In summation, you should avoid this novel at all costs. The main plot could be summarised in a paragraph and you would have missed nothing. Do an Internet search and save yourself the time and the pain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Star trek, 26 Dec 2013