Having had BT Infinity (fibre optic) broadband installed recently, I also required a means of allowing a BT Sports or Sky Sports programme choice to be viewable (at the same time) in different parts of the house, as BT do not currently support a multiroom option.

Published 13 months ago by Andrew McCann

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential
Ordered, installed and hey presto hd in the next room - voila!

Published 26 days ago by Jon Green

5.0 out of 5 stars A Highly Impressive Wireless HD Video Sender With an Exceptional Transmitting Range, 31 July 2013
Andrew McCann (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Provision Wireless HD Sender. Full Kit Including Receiver and Transmitter. (Electronics)

Finding a suitable means of being able to achieve a multiroom solution was also critical to my decision to move my services to BT in the first place, so I had spent some considerable time checking out options in technical publications and feedback from Amazon reviews relating to examples by different manufacturers.

Consequently I chose the Provision Wireless HD Sender and it has proved to be an excellent choice, serving my particular purposes very well indeed.

The transmitter and receiver in this system are literally plug and play and it is an absolute doddle moving the receiver to an alternative HDTV when the need arises.

The price is quite expensive, but compares pricewise realistically against the offerings of other manufacturers of similar types of products, many of which are limited to single room or line of sight wireless connections (e.g to video projectors).

However what clinched the deal for me was the manufacturer's reference to the fact that it has been successfully tested in a number of UK standard domestic four bedroom houses.

Feedback from other purchasers reflected these findings, with just very occasional references to dead spots.

Having read the documentation that came with the HD Video Sender prior to my BT installation, I noticed that it stated that other 5GHz devices should not be placed within 3 metres of the units in order to minimize the risk of interference.

I was therefore able to ensure that the BT wireless facilities (which also partly operate on this waveband) were installed at a suitable distance. This is something that others with 5GHz wireless devices may need to bear in mind.

The manual also states that the HD Wireless sender is not optimized for fast-moving games applications due to a slight delay when transmitting to the remote device, which may be of interest to those hoping to use it for this purpose.

When I opened the box there was a note stating that the software in my purchase had been upgraded to allow up to three receivers in total to be used simultaneously, which makes it a highly flexible whole house solution for sharing a device output with the family.

Interestingly on the manufacturer's website there is reference to plans for future software upgrades to allow transmitting to mobile devices.

Overall this is one of the most useful technological purchases that I have made this year and it serves my purposes very well indeed.

Consequently on the basis of my own experiences with this product, I would most definitely rate it as a five star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wireless HD that works!, 29 July 2013
Provision... Strong Signal in a small box!

Send SkyHD from lounge to bedroom and operate the Sky box (in lounge) from the bedroom.

I love the idea, but tried 2 other similar products and they failed. I have thick walls and numerous 'wireless' products creating interference (according to the other manufacturers). This resulted in either no images being received or loads of buffering/juddering - Basically unwatchable telly!

Saw reviews for Provision, stating it had strong signal, HDMI Pass-through (no need for an expensive HDMI splitter box) and some cleverness that optimised performance so decided to give it a go.

1st thing I noticed, small boxes! Was a bit concerned that they wouldn't have the power needed, but the results were AMAZING!

2nd thing I noticed, a selection of power adaptors. One for EU, UK and US (nice touch that!).

3rd thing - It's very easy to set-up! You will need 2 HDMI cables though, one from the Transmitter to the TV in the lounge and another from the receiver to the TV in the bedroom. Other than that, slide the little infra-red transmitter in front of the SkyHD box and the infra-red receiver on or near the TV in the bedroom and you're done!

Final thing - It works!!! Turn it on and it goes through a little start-up routine (displayed on-screen for about 10 seconds) then just provides constant high def TV with no interference or issues - Fantastic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly, 9 Jan 2013
Was sceptical having tried a similar product. Our house is fairly old with thick stone walls which seemed to hinder the other product. This works fantastically though, and it's as easy as it could be to set up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well with a strong signal, 18 Feb 2013
This is the third product of this type I have tried, the two others didn't have the power to effectively get through my Victorian walls.

This one does, the signal seems significantly stronger so if you've almost given up radio linking to another HD TV using other manufacturer's products I highly recommend this Provision device.

It comes well packaged with UK plugs on both mains supplies (like a Blackberry charger it also has European and USA capability), the units can be fitted with the little stands, as in the picture, be laid flat or wall mounted with the included kit. It loops through so there is no need for an extra HMDI splitter. The package doesn't include HDMI cables so you'll need an extra two, one from the HDMI source (Sky, Virgin, Blu-ray etc) to the transmitter and one from the receiver to your HDTV. Something like this would suffice:

HDMI 1.4 High Speed Cable for 3D TV with Ethernet & ARC 1m

I had it up and running in about ten minutes, it really is plug and play.

The unit processes the picture to minimise the data to be more effective over longer distances and/or through walls. This is why there is a slight delay (half a second approx) sending the signal to the second set. I haven't noticed any drop in picture quality.

You will need to make sure Sky+ boxes are set to normal audio output, it cannot handle 5.1.

New purchases or software updates (easy to do with a small software download from the Provision website) will allow for up to 3 receivers.

I have only used the system with Sky and have not tested with a Blu-ray player.

I originally purchased a different brand from Buyme, when that didn't work in my property they suggested the Provision. Buyme made the swap easy and were very knowledgeable and helpful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Has potential, 2 Aug 2014
Ordered, installed and hey presto hd in the next room - voila!

Start telling all my geeky friends how great it is and how it even works on the xbox one hdmi passthrough. Sadly however after two to three weeks of OMG how does it do it it failed. Now I have to spend 45 mins faffing around with several resets to get it going again. I thought it was perhaps radio interference so I disable/powered off all wifi & radio devices in the house but this made no difference.

I have requested a refund/return and await a response and am quite gutted as this was going to be the answer to my prayers. The quest for the holy grail of wireless HDMI continues...

(btw the ir passthrough works but is v slow)

Gutted :-(

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic product, what more to say?, 1 Jan 2014
I very rarely write reviews but considered this product worthy.

OK so it might be a little more expensive than other products claiming to do the same thing, but do they?
Having read the reviews for all products in this category I reckoned the Provision Wireless HD Sender to be the best.
I am extremely pleased with my choice and have been impressed with this product from the day it arrived.

Upon opening the nicely packaged product to begin setting up, I was pleased to find generous wire lengths included for power leads and the infra-red transmitter/receiver.
Note that you'll need a couple of HDMI cables; one to run from the receiver unit to the remote TV and one to run from the transmitter unit to the main TV. This doesn't detract from the quality of product in the slightest.

The sender and receiver units can be placed horizontally, vertically (on the provided stand mount) or mounted on the wall. The whole system was easy to set up and the main sender/receiver units paired effortlessly.

The LED's on the front of the units flash brightly whilst transmitting/receiving signals so I put both units behind the TV's to hide them completely. This had absolutely no effect on signal or picture quality.
Oh, I also have the transmitter unit placed right next to my wireless broadband router with no effect on broadband or TV signals either.

When you first switch on the receiver unit, a few technical details of the transmission are displayed at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds. Signal strength, signal quality, frequency, bandwidths etc. Not required but quite interesting nonetheless.

My units have two walls and two TV's(!) between them. The spare room in between is used as a bit of a store room with plenty of metal objects in it.

With this in mind signal strength is 60-70% with a high signal quality.
Picture quality is exceptional and I have never experienced any artefacts whatsoever.

The software in both the sender and receiver units can be upgraded simply by plugging them into your computer via the built-in USB sockets and connecting to the vendor's website.
I have not felt the need to do this as everything has worked perfectly well straight out of the box.

Nothing more to add really. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice of product if you purchase the Provision Wireless HD Sender as I have been......
...and in signing off, no I don't work for Provision!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, just brilliant!, 2 Aug 2014
I am not sure it's apparent, but these devices are quite different from others on the market. Other wireless HD transmitters (WHDI devices) try to send HDMI over a 60GHz signal that will not go through brick walls and struggles with stud partitions. So they are very hit and miss and usually don't work well in UK homes.

These Provision devices send the picture over a 5GHz signal, which penetrates walls much better so you chances of them working is much higher. The downside is they need to use compression to get the HD video to fit in a 5GHz carrier, so the picture quality is slightly impaired compared to a lossless HDMI cable. But it's still very good and it's still full HD.

There's other benefits too: You can have mutliple receivers, which is great. And also you can upgrade the transmitter to send video to your wifi and then you can watch (for example) your Sky HD footy recording on an iPad in your bedroom with your headphones on! Brilliant. Doing this, you could even capture the video on a Mac or PC, and thereby save Sky HD videos to your PC. How cool is that!

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating does not work, 12 Aug 2014
This promised to be the ideal solution to watching TV in the bedroom streaming the HD signal from my Sky box in the lounge. Very easy to set up and when it worked it was an excellent picture and sound, but ..... Despite using every suggestion in the hand book I could not get it to work for more than 30 minutes, it then started to drop the signal completely for a few seconds, pick it up again and repeat over and over again, making watching any TV programme impossible. When it did work there was a small but noticeable stuttering effect, which I possibly could live with, but the dropping of the signal made me return the item. This is not a cheap item and I expected better. The manufacturer states that this device will work up to 60 meters apart by line of sight , but that walls will reduce that. My devices were only 20 meters apart in a modern house with only wood and plaster board between them, but it still would not work. This product is almost there, but needs more work, frustrating really.

1.0 out of 5 stars The product doesn't deserve even a single star, but you can't put less than that, 23 Aug 2014
Sadly, 1 star is the minimum you can get. Deserves 0. Tried different setups, different devices. Distance from 1 to 3 metres, no walls, no other wifi devices (we live in a forest) - nothing helps. When you start it, works well. 15 minutes after, the signal begins to deteriorate, and then the transmission gets interrupted quite often (every 2-3 minutes). Signal bar shows 35-45%, even when the devices are one metre from each other. Increased distance doesn't appear to be affecting the signal, but like I said, it doesn't resolve the problem. On the plus side, HDCP works.

I had read all the reviews here, and I don't want to be blaming anybody, but I think the majority of the reviews here are by the manufacturer, the use of same phraseology clearly points at it. Don't but this product unless desperate. I used single cat5 to hdmi instead, problem was resolved, I now connected all my house through that - no issues at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent picture, really easy to install, 12 Jan 2014
Used this for an extra TV upstairs, excellent picture no loss of definition. IR sender works perfectly too. Set up was a doddle :)