5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good
Well, it's just arrived today. This will be a rolling review, updated as I use it.

So far, a good sturdy feeling drive, lots of reviews on the web have been very complementary about it (i spent ages researching it). It is marketed as a budget drive. But what's budget about it?

Well from the looks of the reviews it's not able to handle as high a...
Published 19 months ago by A. Maxwell

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING! Reduced performance of newer drives
Please excuse the technical nature of this review:

There are primarily two types of NAND flash which is used in SSDs, synchronous and asynchronous. Drives using the superior synchronous NAND typically have twice the read/write performance of those with the older asynchronous NAND (when compared clock-for-clock). The V300 (as initially manufactured and reviewed...
Published 9 months ago by Tech Freak

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Kingston 240GB SSD, 25 Nov 2012
Vinay (Eastleigh, Hants) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Not many reviews around for this item, so I thought I'd write one. Purchased during the black friday sale, this was delivered within four days (using the free delivery option!)

For background info, Kingston make three main series of SSD drives - V200, V+200 and HyperX. The first two are labelled as Consumer drives, and HyperX is for Enthusiasts. Confusingly, the V+200 also makes an appearance in the business drive category. The V+200 has upgraded speeds compared to V200, so you should always look for the V+ designation. My reason for choosing this was the special offer price and also the fact that Kingston use Intel/Micron chips in their drives.

The drive was marked SVP200S37A/240G and is 7mm high. The drive shell is built from metal and feels very sturdy, weight is just over 100g. Also in the pack was a rectangular plastic pad which can be attached to the drive to allow its height to be increased to 9.5mm high. Note that if you pay a few more pounds for the "kit" version of this product, you'll get an external USB drive enclosure, cables and software to allow cloning of an existing system. I didn't need that since I was planning on a fresh install (many SSD reviews suggest that doing a fresh install will ensure that Windows is set up correctly for SSDs, whereas cloning an old setup might not).

On my Thinkpad T400, Windows 7 installed on the SSD in under 30 mins. Boot times are now under 20 seconds compared to just over 2 minutes previously - this is on a system with only the OS and MS Office loaded. The weight of the SSD is slightly lower than the drive it replaced and power consumption is lower as well, so there are other benefits from the upgrade. Overall I'd say the V200+ is a respectable performer and offers great value for the average user if you get it on sale. At full price there are probably better competing drives around (like the Kingston HyperX, Samsung 830, Corsair GT). This drive comes with a 3 year warranty from Kingston who is of course a well known and established company. For more info visit [...]

Update : Nov 2013
For some reason, Amazon is showing my review of the V200+ drive under the V300 drive!
The V200 and V200+ have been replaced, here's a comparison of V200+ and V300, they appear to be similar in performance :
[...]

2.0 out of 5 stars Ignorance is bliss, 22 Mar 2014
J. P. Oneill (Ireland) - See all my reviews
They say ignorance is bliss and id agree. I happened to stumble across the review on reduced performance so out of interest I downloaded the benchmark tool , checked the firmware , which is 521 and whilst I was pleased with installing my first SSD and saw an improvement over my HDD I now feel disappointed. The benchmark shows poor performance compared to posted results I've seen on the web. My setup is a couple year old Asus Mobo with an I5 and sata 2 so not sloppy but admittedly more of a good middling than high end desktop
So I have to agree with one of the techies on Overclockers.com in that the vast majority of us are not inclined to undertake specific examinations of the products we buy. We tend to trust the supplier. I had my own retail business for many years and the general view is that for every 1 displeased customer they'll go tell 13 others and that will cascade ..
I accept that the SSD performance is far better than the HDD but now its not about performance but the attitude of the company. I don't like being treated like a fool so I wont recommend this company to anyone and if asked ill point to reviews and others can make their own mind up. Its Sad really.. Kingston had a good reputation

5.0 out of 5 stars Installation and data transfer is very easy although parts of the manual (on DVD) are just ..., 29 Oct 2014
A. Clayton (UK) - See all my reviews
This is part of my upgrade programme for an elderly Lenovo Thinkpad. Installation and data transfer is very easy although parts of the manual (on DVD) are just a little vague and need to be read carefully. However, the upgrade is quick and easy with a small application of common sense. After installing the SSD, boot-up time reduced from about 60 sec to 20sec and most programs load in a few seconds, except for larger programs which have lots of components or modules: these still load significantly faster with the SSD installed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Speeds not as advertised, 26 July 2014
A. Lee (UK) - See all my reviews
Getting speeds: Read 290 MB/s and Write 200 MB/s, i count myself lucky as others are getting far worse speeds. I'd advise you read the voted popular reviews on this drive regarding the bait and switch of a good product to a lesser capable model before buying.
Will steer clear from Kingston in future. Consumers don't need manufactures pulling these kind of tactics. Will swap primary drive out for Samsung or Sandisk and use this as a secondary drive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning - Slow chineese components, 22 Sep 2013
This review is from: Kingston Technology 120GB Solid State Drive 2.5-inch V300 SATA 3 (Personal Computers)
The V300 sold by amazon is the version made in China and not Taiwan. Kingston released speed test results for the version made in Taiwan with premium components which benchmark around 500MB/s. After receiving good reviews they started producing it in China with cheaper components which benchmark around 135MB/s. Dont get me wrong its faster than a 7200rpm hard drive but I still very unhappy with Kingston. Therefore if you want a FAST SSD then look else where.

Aslo if in doubt then check amazons screen capture of the read write speeds which they were not advertising when I bought this product!! Also a close up of the image indicates that this was made in twain where as my slow model was made in china. I will be attempting to get a refund!

3.0 out of 5 stars should have spent extra £30 and got better drive, 5 Aug 2014
Seems fast, but its my first ssd. I actually somehow missed all the bad recent reviews. It seems they switched to a lower component to save money on parts, which people are saying makes a big difference in actual performance. Spend the extra £20/£30 for the samsung evo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than buying a new PC and cheaper, 23 May 2013
10 out of 10. Worked straight out of the box. Make sure if you want it to use it as a 'bootable' drive you order the "Kit" and not just the drive on its own. Pay the extra £5 and have the kit, as the "kit" has the cloning software included, which is worth its weight in gold. Took me just an hour to install the drive, copy my hard drive onto it and away it went. 20 seconds to load Windows 7 from cold, used to take 2 minutes.

2.0 out of 5 stars I have three drives and this is the slowest read ..., 25 Sep 2014
I have three drives and this is the slowest read write I have see other reviews and it appears i am not alone here.. I shan't be buying these again i would rather pay a little more and know i am getting what it says on the tin... Kingston should be ashamed..

1.0 out of 5 stars Brought the new 120gb ssd at the 26/08/2014. Tested ..., 30 Aug 2014
Brought the new 120gb ssd at the 26/08/2014.
Tested the speed.
Massively slower than advertised.
Returned.
No return cost - Thank you Amazon.

PS: I did buy another one many months ago, but I have not checked that SSD yet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not perform as dvertised, 23 Oct 2014
Had to return as performance was very poor, supposed to be 450MB/s read and 450MB/s write but I could only achieve 177MB/s read and 130MB/s write whereas an old M500 Crucial was 350MB/s read and 450MB/s write using exactly the same connection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 348 | Next ›