on 9 January 2013
To be honest I got this for the 1935 version.....the other one will remain unwatched. It was as good as I had remembered it to be......amazing artwork, its beautifully shot and Laughton and March act the socks off each other. Wonderful entertainment.
on 7 January 2013
Only the 1935-version of this film is already worth buying this set of two dvd's. Frederic March is great, as usual, and the story is heartwarming.

The 1952-version is something different. Also a good version, but some storylines and settings are quite different. And Michael Rennie is no Frederic March.

I do not know which version is the most faithful adaption of the book, but it doesn't matter much if you haven't read it and are just looking for an evening's entertainment.

Usually I do not care to watch many different versions of the same story, but after having watched these two movies, I'm looking forward to see the 2012-version with the wonderful Hugh Jackman, although that version is a bit long (over two and a half hours). But I think Jackman's performance could come close to or even match March's.
on 14 February 2013
Old cinema at its best! Fantastic film full of sentiment. The tragedy and happiness of Jean Valjean's life are portrayed wonderfully here in Hugo's bittersweet tale of injustice set in the background of the French Revolution. Wonderful
on 3 June 2013
I read other customers's review before making my purchase, thoroughly enjoyed the movie and happy that I own the DVD because I will be looking at it again..
on 10 April 2013
My husband and I were absolutely thrilled with the two versions of the story, and how well each version worked in its own way to convey the utter misery of the downtrodden and the complex psychological characters like Javert. Though the sets were dated in the first version (1935), Frederick March is superb as Jean Veljean and well balanced with Charles Laughton as Javert, nominated at the time for the Oscar for Best Picture. The little known second version (1952) with Michael Rennie and Robert Newton as Javert is also compelling viewing and considered to be the best version by some; however, to us the acting does not quite live upto the other. Well worth buying to make up your own mind on which you prefer.
on 17 February 2013
Two excellent films for the price of one. The Fredrick March version is a classic. I'd seen it before & was glad to now have it on dvd. The Michael Rennie version I'd never heard of before. I didn't think he could carry it off, as he is in my opinion, quite aristocratic. But I have to say he does a marvelous job, being equally convincing as the poor Jean Valjean, & the later successful one. Both films are well worth a look. Both are thoroughly enjoyable & entertaining.
on 27 March 2013
Made me very emotional. Thought the 1930's version was fantastic. Much better than the stuff being made today. Perfect wet Sunday afternoon viewing.
on 26 December 2013
I chose this 2 DVD set for the 1935 version because Charles Laughton (Hobson's Choice, Tuttles of Tahiti) was in it. I thought the 1952 version was almost an unknown 2nd division afterthought according to many reviews.

I watched the 1935 version on Christmas eve and enjoyed it. Being unfamiliar with the story, I was a little confused at times at what seemed to be jumps in the natural continuity of Valjean's life throughout the story. I did not appreciate the much speeded-up horse and carriage escape sequence either.

In contrast I thought that the 1952 version, which I watched on Boxing Day, was fantastic. The acting, the story-telling and the cinematography were outstanding. I think that I will watch this version more often than the classic 1935 version.
on 22 March 2013
I am a Les Mis addict. But even allowing for that these two films sre brilliant, considering the age of them both, especially the Frederic March version. Highly recommended. Plus the usual excellent Amazon service.
on 24 March 2013
the recent production, musical, was disappointing poor singing and chorus work. These 2 classic well acted and presented drama productions are a real joy to watch with splendid performances from all