5.0 out of 5 stars Very good laptop
Very quiet, excellent battery life, more than enough power to do normal day to day computer work without breaking sweat, no idea how it performs as a gaming machine as that's not what I bought it for.
Nice responsive keyboard, amazingly loud speakers!
Published 15 months ago by Philip D Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK.
Published 16 months ago by M. Fisher

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK., 7 Aug 2013
M. Fisher - See all my reviews
This review is from: Samsung Series 5 550P5C 15.6-inch Notebook (Intel i5 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 8) (Personal Computers)
Out of the box the laptop was practically unusable. It was so slow that even scrolling with the touchpad was shuddery and having more than about 4 tabs in google chrome would slow the laptop to a near halt and processes would stop responding (sometimes system processes which would require me to restart - once I was unable to do this while updating the BIOS and had to wait 6 hours for the battery to deplete). The bloatware didn't help of course (Samsung even took the liberty of adding an extra user account for some survey thing) but even after removing this the laptop was still very slow. However, I recently thought to change the power settings and after this the laptop is adequately fast for my purposes, though at considerable cost to the battery life.
One thing that hasn't been solved by this is the touchpad, as the driver for this is an unmitigated disaster. Now any problems with it aren't masked by the shudderiness and unresponsiveness due to the slowness of the laptop, it is clear that it is really badly written. If you scroll (using 2 fingers on the touchpad) then stop, it takes a short while for the page to stop scrolling. This is fine; it gives a smoother feeling to it. However, if you let go during the time it takes to do this (as you would do naturally), it will just carry on scrolling past where you wanted to go (this happens on the windows start page, for example, so is not dependent on any program you may be using) You would have to constantly remind yourself when scrolling to leave your finger on the touchpad for a short while before letting go. For me, this would be such a pain that I prefer to just use the scroll bars as I did on my old laptop without this feature. This is a real shame, because the touchpad seems like a good piece of hardware and 2 finger scrolling seems like a nice idea.

On to the good points: the laptop looks pretty good generally, especially the keyboard which is nice to type on. Also the speakers are excellent for a laptop. The graphics are pretty good. Before I changed the power settings I was surprised that I could get a pretty decent frame rate on a moderately graphics intensive game even though the laptop was in all other ways extremely slow.

One other thing: the screen is nothing to shout about, suffering a fair bit from angular dependence, though I guess it's not terrible for a laptop screen and at least it isn't really reflective like so many are for reasons I am yet to fathom.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good laptop, 12 Sep 2013
Nice responsive keyboard, amazingly loud speakers!
Anti glare screen is fine for what I do, in fact Ive had to turn the brightness down. Only caveat, and its nothing to do with the laptop is the OS, Windows 8 is NOT my cup of tea!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT LAPTOP - GREAT VALUE., 10 Sep 2013
perfect laptop.......ticks every box in every department, SCREEN GREAT,SOUND GREAT,KEYBOARD GREAT,VERY LIGHT,GOOD BATTERY LIFE & EXCELLENT SERVICE FROM VENDOR....WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money On SAMSUNG!, 3 Sep 2013
S. Miah "omiaho" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I urge those looking to buy a new laptop, please do NOT buy SAMSUNG laptops! I have had 3 laptops from SAMSUNG and they have been terrible!

The laptop has good hardware specifications but don't be fooled! SAMSUNG are NOT what they use to be! Their new laptops models for 2012/2013 are terrible. SAMSUNG where great with support back 3 years ago and now they have become nothing but worse like foreign call centres. The support for drivers is outdated and the Windows 8 compatibility is pure rubbish. Half the SAMSUNG own applications don't function correctly with Windows 8. Even on some series especially 3 & 5 the Wi-Fi cards have poor signal (you get better signal if being in same room as router), also buggy Windows 8 drivers for the Wi-Fi hardware. To eliminate the problems I have tried 4 different routers along with neighbour router and yet issue with Wi-Fi is still there.

Contacting support is like talking to a brick wall. Their so called technicians are nothing but unqualified lunatics given a job. They should NOT be given a job and should be locked away from making contact with humans. Issue with two of my laptops use AMD graphic and they need latest drivers to be able to work correctly with certain video editing applications. I can NOT use the AMD drivers from AMD website as there is a vendor lock that AMD put due to drivers might cause incompatibility issues which is a fair point. Two SAMSUNG staff I spoke to just told me to download drivers from AMD website (shows how much they know). Explained the issues they couldn't help!

One of the SAMSUNG laptop I have had issues with regards to battery, SAMSUNG replaced this no problem here. However I then got issues with dead pixels (more than 5), hinge problem and the serious overheating and constant crash which caused hard drive to pack in due to shutdowns. Handing the laptop in for repair was a total nightmare. Never received any sort of text, call or email regarding collection. Courier came to collect two times while I was at work (nobody to answer door). On the third attempt SAMSUNG eventually got it right.

When I got the laptop back from repair, screen was replaced. As for hard drive, same one left in and yet had issues with hard drive and not to forget the serious overheating issue was still their. As soon as I edit a video or encode a video the laptop fan will get very loud and that are will be very hot to touch and some sort of burn smell. Just shows how much they fixed even if you spoon feed. I also noticed issue with the battery where it won't even last more than 2 hours from a full charge.

Sent laptop in for repair again under 1 year warranty. Got told laptop is covered under 1 year warranty but battery isn't (6 months for battery). Now that is just complete daylight robbery! They should clearly mention this on their website! I gave up with SAMSUNG!

Got two laptops to replace the SAMSUNG laptops. A Sony Vaio and ASUS. Laptops from ASUS and Sony are superb! Please consider getting ASUS or Sony laptop. Never get a SAMSUNG laptop. Also Acer is same as SAMSUNG!

4.0 out of 5 stars no computer nurd, 15 Aug 2013
If I understood computers more I would have given this P.C. 5 stars because it is a very good piece of equipment, my problem is that it is so technical that I get lost in it, i.e. The key board has several different languishes that it is not always a "qwerty" keyboard, but lucky enough, I purchased it from a company, namely "Tronixcomputer" Via Amazon of course, that has a gentleman employed by them, with the patient of a saint, who helps me out with keyboard queries with no complaints. Having said all that, I will repeat myself, the P.C. is a superb piece of equipment and deserves five stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Let down by WiFi, 10 April 2014
Gordon Langridge (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have one, my mate has two - all of them decent laptops BUT - ALL have frustrating issues with WiFi - has been a continuous problem for over a year.
Limited connection or keeps losing connection to wifi network even with strong signals.
Stalling lack of help from Samsung and intel regarding the offending intel centrino advanced-n 6235 - tried all the suggestions I can possibly find.
Laptops bought after reading great reviews, unfortunately this comes to light after everyday use so, very disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars samsung 15.6 notebook, 5 Mar 2014
like this product for overall use. Screen, keys, etc, all fine to use.
attach mouse for long use. would recommend.

1.0 out of 5 stars lap top, 8 Feb 2014
forever going wrong freezing just generally messing about, worse money ive ever spent what ever you do don't buy this item

1.0 out of 5 stars Not happy with this laptop at all, 26 Dec 2013
Bought this laptop for my partner as a gift for her birthday and we've had nothing but problems with it. Not sure if its Windows 8, or the actually computer but its extremely slow, the internet keeps dropping out, it keeps freezing.

I already own a Samsung RV520 laptop and had it for about 2 years now and had no problems with at all, running Windows 7.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent laptop, 13 Dec 2013
I've now used my new laptop for a few weeks and have had no problems with it. I'm not thrilled with Windows 8 but can find no fault at all with the laptop. Battery life is great too.