on 31 October 2013
Bought this to save myself some paper filters for the aeropress. Read the description that stated it gives purer coffee (since paper filters soak up some of the oils etc) and that clinched it for me.

However upon trying to screw in the aeropress base once placing the filter, you really have to press down hard as the edges of the Kaffeologie appear to be too thick for the aeropress. In fact I have to use a cloth or cotton towel to apply pressure to do this. This just about manages to rotate the first plastic 'latch' a quarter of the way into the first slot... won't go any futher but is enough to hold the base in place!

2nd issue is that once you pour water over the coffee grinds, it all seems to seep too quickly through the filter before I have had a chance to stir it and press down on the aeropress....hence lose out on coffee intensity if all you want is an espresso!

Otherwise for an American coffee it works fine as you need to add more water anyway and can aeropress more effectively before the water runs through the mesh...

Update:

Am giving it an extra star as it seems the more you use it, the easier it becomes to screw the base on. Also the product website has some good brewing tips..i.e. the inverted method which works best for this. The standard filters are still better/easier to use for a quick espresso however this product is a good alternative if you run out.
on 14 March 2014
If Aeropress had designed their product with this filter from the start it would not have been the success it is. I love my Aeropress because it is so easy and quick to use, easy to clean and makes the smoothest and best coffee. I bought a metal filter because I take the Aeropress to work with me and I thought it would be easier to transport than taking the filter papers every day. I also thought in the long run it would save money. I have gone back to using paper filters and wont be using the S Filter again, here's why.
The holes in the S filter may be small but they are not small enough. The water runs through too quickly and the coffee doesn't brew. You have to modify the way you use the Aeropress in order to get a good cup of coffee and this is the problem, what used to be quick and simple becomes a faff. Put the plunger part way into the tube then turn it over and put the coffee and water into the tube then wait 2 minutes before screwing the filter cap and S Filter onto the tube then turn the whole thing over quickly onto your mug so the coffee doesn't spill out and then plunge the coffee. What a palaver! and you might as well be using your old cafetiere
Next comes clean up which is so easy with paper filters, unscrew the cap and push the filter and coffee grounds out into the bin or recycling. With the S Filter you take off the cap but then you have to get hold of the filter and pull it off the wet coffee grounds then push the remaining coffee into the bin but somehow it never comes off the end of the plunger as cleanly. I end up having to wash the filter and the end of the plunger and rinse the coffee grounds out of the sink and you might as well be using your old cafetiere .
Did I mention the holes in the filter are small but not small enough? One of my favourite things about Aeropress coffee, as it was designed to be brewed, is the smoothness of the brew, no bits at all and I can drink every last drop. With the S filter you end up with fine grains of coffee in your mug and you might as well be using your old cafetiere.
Paper filters don't affect the taste of the coffee and anyone who says they can tell must have extraordinary senses or they aren't brewing their coffee strong enough. Paper filters use so little paper it isn't worth thinking about and they can be recycled anyway. Also take a look at my photo which you can see via a link under the main product photo. My photo shows just how much paper and card was used to post out this tiny little filter. It's more paper (taking into account the thickness of the card etc) then I would use in paper filters in months. These things should be posted in the little white card envelope that Kafeologie package them in and should not come with a mountain of advertising crap and a great big Amazon card envelope.
Stick with paper filters - Coffee, water, plunge, done. or if you don't want to use paper filters you might as well be using your old cafetiere
review image
1212 comments|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 July 2013
This is the best reusable aeropress filter disk I have found so far. Very fine holes, but enough so that there is no clogging or stalling. Very well made.
on 8 September 2013
This filter lets a lot of particles through into the coffee. I get a thick syrup of ground beans in the bottom of the cup and at the best ground size (for the coffee beans) its undrinkable due to the volume of particles allow through. I had to increase the ground size and that negatively impacted the flavour. At a significantly bigger grinding size less syrup gets through but its still much worse than the particles let through by the paper filter at any ground size.

The flavour of the coffee is different to using the paper filter. The flavour is weaker but often smoother so at least in some ways I think the filter does produce a better coffee. But the particles in the bottom of the cup do ruin the positive effect for me, getting a mouthful of fine bean pieces is a horrible way to finish a cup of coffee. My Sumatra beans actually taste better overall with the paper filter, I suspect because the coffee is made under a higher pressure since the paper filter is harder to push through than this is.

I just can't recommend this filter, it for the most part negatively impacts the actual drink the Aeropress provides. It needs to be significantly finer to reduce the drawbacks.
on 12 July 2013
The kaffeologie filter is a must for aeropress users, as clean if not better brew than paper filters, essentially the same process and usage with out the waste, my main motivation is to ensure my aeropress is a robust travel companion.
on 12 November 2013
Initially I was looking to buy a pack of paper filters when I saw these metal ones from Coava and Kaffeologie. After researching both, I could see that the kaffeologie one had a finer mesh filter and therefore would reduce fine/power grinds passing through although a decent grinder would prevent getting inconsistency in grinds.

I've used the filter twice every day now for the last week or so and although the Aeropress produces nowhere near as thick and gloupy espresso's as my Gaggia, it does produce some nicer tasting longer americanos with freshly ground coffee on the day from the same level of espresso grind I use in my machine. The difference was even noticed by a work colleague who'd tried both paper and Kaffeogie filtered coffee from the same ground beans.

I would recommend this to anyone who's in need of replacement filters - the quality of the coffee produced alone goes a long way to offset the price even if you can get 1050+ paper filters for the same money! Cleaning is a diddle too!

I've not used the other metal reusable filters and they may work just as well except they have punched holes which may not work with a fine espresso grind - I know espresso machine filter baskets have similar holes but tamping the grinds to form a compressed puck acts as a self filter requiring a 9-9.5bar of water pressure to extract the coffee.
on 25 April 2014
I bought the coffee filter as i was told that it was better than the paper filters at allowing oils to pass through, which would have been absorbed by the paper filters. I havent done a side by side analysis, but being more hassle free of not needing to pre-wet the paper filters i bought the metal filter.

It is easy to clean after use, but it is a very tight to screw into the aeropress. Even after following the manufacturer's instructions. It takes around a fortnight of daily use before the the screw 'relaxes'.

The filter i bought has burn 'marks'/discolouration from where it had been spot welded. I tried to scrub it off but to no avail. I contacted customer services and was told promptly that it was normal on some of the filters. This suggests that only some of the filters have this issue. I dont think it is a problem, so i left it. But it you are unhappy with it im sure the company will exchange it for you.

The company was very keen to follow up with me and post my thoughts on Amazon, which suggest they believe in their brand and product. Good job!

All in all, i think this is a good product, which does take a bit of time and effort to wear in. But my main gripe is the cost, it is very expensive for what it is. Due to the coffee nerd culture i dont expect the price to fall. But for what it is, it fills the niche nicely.
on 20 November 2013
Sadly this filter doesn't work. The water seeps through before I've even finished pouring. The result is watery, filter coffee, not an espresso.

The filter is too thick to screw the end cap on as tightly as with paper filters. Several others have made the same complaint and Kaffeologie direct people to their online guide ([...] I watched their video and read their hints, and am none the wiser. All they tell me is that the metal filter is as thick as four paper filters

Shame, I bought one as a gift for someone too, so now I've wasted the best part of £30 which could have bought a lot of paper filters

UPDATE: I have had a productive email exchange with Kaffeologie about brewing techniques. The filter does work quite well for smaller quantities if the inverted brewing technique is used. This way, the coffee can bloom and brew. The plunger isn't really necessary though.
on 16 October 2013
This thing is too thick to allow the base to fit onto my Aeropress once the filter is in place (because of the metal rim you can see in the photographs). If you force it on it is almost impossible to get the base off afterwards. Forget about the inverted method of using the Aeropress as you cannot get the base to click into place. First cup using this method, therefore, went everywhere. Tried the normal method and, frankly, the result was rather thin and tasteless. Will not be bothering with again and will return. Having said all that I am not generally in awe of the Aeropress anyway so will probably return to the old filter method or buy another cafetiere the breaking of which led me down the filter route in the first place.
55 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 7 January 2014
The problem is that the disk is thicker than a paper filter. The suggested video for fitting the disk on Kaffeologie's website proposes adding successively more filter papers to the lid until it can be stretched into accepting a disk as thick as the metal one. The problem with that is that the tough ABS plastic from which the Aeropress is made does not stretch like like and the fit remains tight.

It is not impossible to close the lid - but I have concluded that trying to force it closed while using the inverted Aeropress method - and thus dealing with a precarious syringe full of hot coffee and grounds - I would rather go back to using the papers. I nevertheless give the product 3 stars since it does, for those prepared to persevere, produce a good taste. It is just that I don't believe the cost and the awkwardness are worth the relatively high cost.

See one answered question