Bought this to save myself some paper filters for the aeropress. Read the description that stated it gives purer coffee (since paper filters soak up some of the oils etc) and that clinched it for me.

Published 14 months ago by MNK

2.0 out of 5 stars Diminishes the Aeropress
Published 9 months ago by Woody_uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Diminishes the Aeropress, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: S Filter for AeroPress - Ultra Fine Stainless Steel Coffee Filter (Kitchen & Home)
If Aeropress had designed their product with this filter from the start it would not have been the success it is. I love my Aeropress because it is so easy and quick to use, easy to clean and makes the smoothest and best coffee. I bought a metal filter because I take the Aeropress to work with me and I thought it would be easier to transport than taking the filter papers every day. I also thought in the long run it would save money. I have gone back to using paper filters and wont be using the S Filter again, here's why.
The holes in the S filter may be small but they are not small enough. The water runs through too quickly and the coffee doesn't brew. You have to modify the way you use the Aeropress in order to get a good cup of coffee and this is the problem, what used to be quick and simple becomes a faff. Put the plunger part way into the tube then turn it over and put the coffee and water into the tube then wait 2 minutes before screwing the filter cap and S Filter onto the tube then turn the whole thing over quickly onto your mug so the coffee doesn't spill out and then plunge the coffee. What a palaver! and you might as well be using your old cafetiere
Next comes clean up which is so easy with paper filters, unscrew the cap and push the filter and coffee grounds out into the bin or recycling. With the S Filter you take off the cap but then you have to get hold of the filter and pull it off the wet coffee grounds then push the remaining coffee into the bin but somehow it never comes off the end of the plunger as cleanly. I end up having to wash the filter and the end of the plunger and rinse the coffee grounds out of the sink and you might as well be using your old cafetiere .
Did I mention the holes in the filter are small but not small enough? One of my favourite things about Aeropress coffee, as it was designed to be brewed, is the smoothness of the brew, no bits at all and I can drink every last drop. With the S filter you end up with fine grains of coffee in your mug and you might as well be using your old cafetiere.
Paper filters don't affect the taste of the coffee and anyone who says they can tell must have extraordinary senses or they aren't brewing their coffee strong enough. Paper filters use so little paper it isn't worth thinking about and they can be recycled anyway. Also take a look at my photo which you can see via a link under the main product photo. My photo shows just how much paper and card was used to post out this tiny little filter. It's more paper (taking into account the thickness of the card etc) then I would use in paper filters in months. These things should be posted in the little white card envelope that Kafeologie package them in and should not come with a mountain of advertising crap and a great big Amazon card envelope.
Stick with paper filters - Coffee, water, plunge, done. or if you don't want to use paper filters you might as well be using your old cafetiere

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as effective as the standard Aeropress filters but a good product nonetheless, 31 Oct 2013

However upon trying to screw in the aeropress base once placing the filter, you really have to press down hard as the edges of the Kaffeologie appear to be too thick for the aeropress. In fact I have to use a cloth or cotton towel to apply pressure to do this. This just about manages to rotate the first plastic 'latch' a quarter of the way into the first slot... won't go any futher but is enough to hold the base in place!

2nd issue is that once you pour water over the coffee grinds, it all seems to seep too quickly through the filter before I have had a chance to stir it and press down on the aeropress....hence lose out on coffee intensity if all you want is an espresso!

Otherwise for an American coffee it works fine as you need to add more water anyway and can aeropress more effectively before the water runs through the mesh...

Update:

Am giving it an extra star as it seems the more you use it, the easier it becomes to screw the base on. Also the product website has some good brewing tips..i.e. the inverted method which works best for this. The standard filters are still better/easier to use for a quick espresso however this product is a good alternative if you run out.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't fit - and yes I've seen the video, 7 Jan 2014
r0ng0r0ng0 "r0ng0r0ng0" (France) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The problem is that the disk is thicker than a paper filter. The suggested video for fitting the disk on Kaffeologie's website proposes adding successively more filter papers to the lid until it can be stretched into accepting a disk as thick as the metal one. The problem with that is that the tough ABS plastic from which the Aeropress is made does not stretch like like and the fit remains tight.

It is not impossible to close the lid - but I have concluded that trying to force it closed while using the inverted Aeropress method - and thus dealing with a precarious syringe full of hot coffee and grounds - I would rather go back to using the papers. I nevertheless give the product 3 stars since it does, for those prepared to persevere, produce a good taste. It is just that I don't believe the cost and the awkwardness are worth the relatively high cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 27 July 2013
D. Sandford (Coventry, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best reusable aeropress filter disk I have found so far. Very fine holes, but enough so that there is no clogging or stalling. Very well made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but functional paper filter replacement for the Aeropress, 25 April 2014
I bought the coffee filter as i was told that it was better than the paper filters at allowing oils to pass through, which would have been absorbed by the paper filters. I havent done a side by side analysis, but being more hassle free of not needing to pre-wet the paper filters i bought the metal filter.

It is easy to clean after use, but it is a very tight to screw into the aeropress. Even after following the manufacturer's instructions. It takes around a fortnight of daily use before the the screw 'relaxes'.

The filter i bought has burn 'marks'/discolouration from where it had been spot welded. I tried to scrub it off but to no avail. I contacted customer services and was told promptly that it was normal on some of the filters. This suggests that only some of the filters have this issue. I dont think it is a problem, so i left it. But it you are unhappy with it im sure the company will exchange it for you.

The company was very keen to follow up with me and post my thoughts on Amazon, which suggest they believe in their brand and product. Good job!

All in all, i think this is a good product, which does take a bit of time and effort to wear in. But my main gripe is the cost, it is very expensive for what it is. Due to the coffee nerd culture i dont expect the price to fall. But for what it is, it fills the niche nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy and efficient, 26 July 2013
Savvy Gran "marnie" (West Country Great Britain) - See all my reviews
Really useful! No need to mess about with papers- it just pops into the Aeropress and rinses clean afterwards. Stainless steel makes no difference to the taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential aeropress accessory, 12 July 2013
The kaffeologie filter is a must for aeropress users, as clean if not better brew than paper filters, essentially the same process and usage with out the waste, my main motivation is to ensure my aeropress is a robust travel companion.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but not perfect, 22 Oct 2013
Takes some getting used to, to make sure that the water you pour into the Aeropress doesn't just gush through the sides of this mesh instead of brewing. And once you've skilled yourself up to avoid that, it always leaves a fine residue in the coffee cup, which is a shame. The overall taste of the coffee is very good, but I'm not sure this is worth the investment over the paper filters, to be honest. I'm sitting there right on the fence, which is a shame for something that cost me 60% of the AeroPress itself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it sounds!, 22 July 2014
T. Wagg (Wales UK) - See all my reviews
I am a little disappointed with this filter as it is both expensive and not as functional as the normal filter papers.
When I received it, I was surprised to see just home much packaging surrounded it. It came in a container within a container and yet, in reality it was small enough to have been put in a normal postage envelope (say sandwiched between 2 pieces of card or whatever). I did wonder whether this was done just to increase the price per unit by way of packaging.
The filter is made well enough. I think it is stainless steel which would never cost £18 to make. I had expected it to be made of platinum at that price!
The filter is effective for the coarse grinds of coffee, but the finer blends do escape the sieve and ensure the coffee served up is not as good a quality as the paper filters.
I am rather disappointed with it & I would only recommend it's use with the coarsely ground coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Customer service gets 5*, 19 April 2014
I got one 18 months ago, it burst and I went back to the paper filters, I got an e-mail within the last week, told them the story. Within 2 days approx. I've got the new modified version. Great customer service and I am now converted again! Easy to clean and better tasting coffee.