5.0 out of 5 stars Lifehouse Newcomer
As the title of this review states, I'm new to the musical world that is Lifehouse. Being relatively small here in the UK, I came across them by chance, solely by their comparisons with New York band, the Goo Goo Dolls.

Published 19 months ago by Ashbourne-Ratwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same
It's a bit different to their normal music and is taking a bit of getting used to. I prefer their older stuff.
Published 13 months ago by Mrs Lorraine Legg

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifehouse Newcomer, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)

Being a fan of the Goo Goo Dolls, I know all too well of mainstream sellout and musical shift accusations which no doubt plague Lifehouse aswell. As a Lifehouse newcomer, however, I'm reviewing Almeria based upon only what I have heard from this album and therefore have no preconceptions to base it upon.

The album gets off to a great start with the first track, "Gotta Be Tonight", probably my favourite song on the entire album. There aren't any fancy eye watering lyrics here but rest assured, you'll be foot tapping and singing along to this track after a couple of listens.

"Between the Raindrops", the lead single from this, Lifehouse's sixth studio album, is certainly a stand out moment. Its an impetuous, impulsive piece which is without doubt amongst the most accessible on the album. Any Natasha Beddingfield fans may well be disappointed with what she offers in this inclusion, she doesn't bring anything of much substance to this song, with Wade's vocals standing head and shoulders above. However, Beddingfield's involvement does little to retract from a song you will still be playing in your car in 12 months time.

"Only You're The One" is another highlight, once again, a catchy and upbeat effort which will once again have you singing along, whilst "Aftermath" is the standout amongst the slower, more mellow pieces to be found here.

Onto the negatives, of which there are few.

My main gripe with Almeria is that it doesn't strike me as a coherent piece of musical work. When listening, I tend to pick and choose the songs as I see fit, rather than listen to the album in its entirety, which I've probably only done once or twice.

With the deluxe edition clocking in at a lengthy 49 minutes, it does feel like there a couple of fillers to be found here, perhaps unnecessarily so.

However, these points do little to detract from what is undoubtedly an interesting effort from Lifehouse.

Although the album has only charted at a disappointing #58 in the US charts, Almeria has gathered Lifehouse a new fan here. Here's hoping for a UK tour to support the album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifehouse going country style, 12 Dec 2012
Kat a2m (L.E., Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Almeria [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Overall "Almería" has a different vibe than the other records of the band. They are trying something new with a good amount of country, southern rock and even a hint of blues that are added to their rock sound.

Opening the album is the catchy "Gotta Be Tonight" which introduces you slowly to the new genre Lifehouse is about to conquer. You immediately find yourself stomping your feet or clapping your hands along to the beat as the chorus offers a pop theme with a little twist. The cherry on top is a sample that sounds just a little bit like blues.

The first single "Between The Raindrops" features Natasha Bedingfield. This collaboration of two amazing voices is yet another step into the fields of country music. The powerful and catchy track brightens your day and will put a smile on your face when you listen to it - especially when standing in the rain. I suggest Lifehouse do a holiday version of this song called "Between The Snowflakes".

One of my favorites is "Moveonday" which is also the rockiest song with heavy guitars and an in-your-face attitude. The track reminds me of 80's rock and hairbands like Bon Jovi. I wonder what Jason, Ben, Bryce and especially drummer Ricky would look like with a perm and spandex.

Let me predict that "Only You're The One" will be the song off of Almería that will become a fan favorite for years to come. It is the Lifehouse sound we love, that gives us chills every time we listen to it with smooth verses and a strong powerful chorus that lets your heart skip a bit.

A stroke of genius is what I call "Right Back Home". Jason Wade, Southern blues singer Charles Jones and (the) Peter Frampton take turns with the verses and jam as if there was no tomorrow. It is surprising how short the recording is though. I would love to hear an extended version of this 4 minute track.

With "Aftermath" Lifehouse go back to their musical roots. Jason Wade proves once more that a perfect song doesn't need a huge arrangement or even autotune. Simply his voice that makes him seem very fragile at some points is enough to give chills to every listener. There is only one word for this ballad: beautiful.

On the deluxe version of "Almería" we find three additional tracks. It is a shame that these songs are only available in the US (yet?). "Pins & Needles" starts a bit odd but soon shows off its incredibly catchy Beatles vibe. "Rolling Off The Stone" just leaves me speechless. A contagious beat leads you through this mysterious and sexy song. The attempt to add Blues and Jazz to this album that already offers so many styles works surprisingly well.

Lifehouse's sixth studio record Almería shows a whole different side of the band. Some of the tracks seem a little bit forced and some long-time fans might be surprised by the cowboy style at first. The band managed to bring their sound to a new level and surely grew in the process. The album will definetely grow on fans if they don't love it already. I doubt that Lifehouse will turn into straw-chewing, cattle driving hillbillies anytime soon. The band itself hasn't changed. They are still the same inspiring, talented, fun bunch of people making great music.

(more reviews on access2music.info)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another superb Lifehouse album, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
Another superb Lifehouse album to add to the other 5. Like all Lifehouse albums seems to get better with each listen. I do not understand where the 'one star' review is coming from, nor do I understand why this group does not get more UK air play/acclaim. That's 81 tracks over six albums and not a bad track in sight (or sound). Saw them live in Glasgow (Smoke and Mirrors Tour)......"Pure dead brilliant. so they were"........hope they tour UK again sometime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
Only discovered this band earlier this year on a flight from Singapore to London.
I played the album over and over again on the in-flight entertainment system
and by the end of the flight, decided I had to buy the album!
It's a mixture of pop, rock & a little country rock, all very well done
and not a bad track on the album. My favourites are "Slow Motion"
"Gotta be tonight" and "Between the raindrops"
It's very easy listening and I'm glad that I discovered it
(thanks to the airline promoting the album!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
Being a UK Lifehouse fan it has taken over a year for me to get this, due to it not being available as an iTunes or Amazon MP3 download until recently. In the end I decided after all the waiting to plump for the physical CD copy.

I have to say, I am in love with this album. Jason's voice sounds better than ever, and although the idea of Lifehouse country-ing up their sound worried me, it sounds fresh, and new, and bloody gorgeous! My personal highlights are Only You're the One, Barricade and Aftermath, although I find myself humming Pins and Needles to myself often, so that one is definitely under my skin too!

Only disappointed with myself for not getting the Deluxe version really!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
I have only recently discovered Lifehouse, but love their music. Almeria has a country twist which really works and shows they are not afraid to try something new. A talented band. Hope they tour again soon in the UK.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifehouse - moving on., 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
I delayed buying this album due to the early reviews but i wish i had'nt.
This is a change of style for the band but once you get past the initial sound of 'electronic' style i can only thoroghly recommend this album.
Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
Been listening to this CD in the car non stop it is brilliant! Would recommend it to any Lifehouse fans

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same, 25 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars The New Lifehouse, 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Almeria (Audio CD)
In this album Lifehouse have gone a bit country not their usual stuff thats for sure. I loved the album when I first bought it the songs are really good in my opinion. However, that maybe because I am a true Lifehouse fan. My boyfriend totally disagrees he thinks this album is terrible compared to some of their others. I would recommend you buy it and have a listen and decide for yourself.

Almeria
Almeria by Lifehouse (Audio CD - 2012)