5.0 out of 5 stars Memories reawoken
Published on 27 Sep 2009 by Tim Benson

Only bought it after hearing Andy Williams sing love story song. Movie a bit dated will never watch it again.
Published 9 months ago by Anna Greville

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories reawoken, 27 Sep 2009
Tim Benson "bilboben" (LONDON UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I guess many of the people interested in this old but still warm and worthwhile film, will have watched the original in the cinemas in or around 1971. I did, awakening at the age of sixteen to the emotion of love. I adored the fun that the main characters had at Harvard and I longed for University only two years away, but seemingly a lifetime still. I travelled to Boston this summer and Harvard and walked the courtyards where they played in the snow. A little sentimental now I guess by modern standards but still a fine film and one that does not seem to have been included in TV schedules for many year.The tragic end was perfect in helping a love lorn sixteen year old come to terms with a strange world. I am still trying!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Compares 2 U, 13 Sep 2008
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
A brilliant film with a moral message that is as true today as it was when the movie was made.
The grass is not always greener...and you will live to regret hurting the one person who really loved you!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars so sad!, 12 Jun 2004
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I have to say that if anyone is even the remotest bit sensitive then this will make them cry! My mum and I were both howling by the end of the film!
As it has been described as cheesy, I must say that I did not find this a cheesy film. It is very sweet and romantic yet it is not one of those predictable films where the girl gets the guy and they live happily ever after. I believe that this is quite different from the usual stereotypical romantic films.
If you love soppy, adorable, romantic films, then this film is definitely a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Story, 15 Jan 2010
Blondie (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Story [VHS] (VHS Tape)
One of my favourite movies of all time. I have watched this hundreds of times - no I'm not kidding I still need a box of tissues! I also find it, for me, very nostalgic, as I lived in Canada in the late 1960's so it reminds me of that time - especially the snow/Christmas scenes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent tragi-romance movie, 29 Feb 2008
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
Only having sketchy memories of this from briefly viewing it on TV once at least twenty odd years ago, I thought I knew I didn't like this 'manipulative tear jerker', so, during a phase of rewatching and reassessing some films I had dismissed without really paying attention to, I put this on to watch from beginning to end. And this was one that changed my casually made opinion of it. I didn't really know it was a story of the power of love between two people from such different backgrounds, I sort of knew there was a class thing there, but I didn't know how much of one there was, and how central this was to the story. It made for a very involving narrative because, naturally the viewer would be rooting for true love to conquer this petty divide, a divide as wide as a cavern in the eye's of the O'Neil character's prim and proper family. The sacrifice he makes to be with the one he loves is nothing short of heroic, and O'Neil's acting is superb. The screenplay is witty and memorable as it crystalises that young love lingo, the soppy nicknames each has for the other, and the collegy, wordy conversations that young elite college undergraduates have with each other. It actually tries quite hard not to be a maudling tear jerker, and makes McGraw's character quite a tough minded, no nonsense cookie, but with a real heart, who actually likes O'Neil's stern father more than he does, and is desperate for him to end his feud of silence with his father. Overall, an involving and enjoyable portrayal of a deep and passionate love.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can you say about a film like Love Story..?, 4 April 2013
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
I love this film for Ali and Ryan who both shine in their respective lead roles; for their and the director's handling of the blossoming romance (e.g. the snow scenes at the football ground as Ali licks the snow from Ryan's face - so natural); for the memories it evokes of the early 70s; yes for the music and for the fine supporting performances of Ray Milland and John Marley as the fathers of Oliver and Jenny (Marley's scene with O'Neal in the hospital corridor is beautifully underplayed and so powerful for it). The love story on show here is perhaps as much about the parent /child dynamic too. Wonderful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brill film, oldie but goodie, 19 Oct 2009
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
What a brilliant film, fair enough the acting is slightly bland due to the fact it was made in the 70s BUT omg what a weepy, brill film, a lil anoying as they plaY the love story theme a lot but brill film overall!! CLASSIC!!

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT ROMANCE, 9 Feb 2009
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
This is a BRILLIANT film so dont waste time reading this review just go out and buy a oopy.
I promise you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Story [DVD] [1970], 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: Love Story [DVD] [1970] (DVD)
what can I say, classic movie loved it and have watched it many times, definitely recommend this movie its great

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit dated only bought it after hearing Andy Williams sing love story song, 2 Oct 2013

Love Story [DVD] [1970]
Love Story [DVD] [1970] by Arthur Hiller (DVD - 2013)
3.50