5.0 out of 5 stars I'll give it a thumbs up!
Published on 30 Oct 2008 by Oliver Knieps

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and looks amazing!
10 years after the death of his brother, Trevor (Brendan Fraser) and his young nephew Sean find an old copy of Jules Verne's Journey To The Centre Of The Earth with various notes written amongst the pages. This takes Trevor and Sean to Iceland where they meet Hannah, their guide, and they begin their own journey to the centre of the Earth.

Yes, this is a kids...
Published on 24 April 2009 by Dr Evil

3.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and looks amazing!, 24 April 2009
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Yes, this is a kids film. Yes, this is very loosely based on the classic Jules Verne novel. Yes, the story is absolutely ridiculous, but who cares - it is just good fun! Anyone expecting a perfect adaption of the novel (or the 50's film) will be disappointed but if you watch it for what it is, it is exciting, action-packed and looks amazing in 3-D. I've seen other 3-D films on DVD (this is my first on Blu Ray) such as Shrek 3-D and Friday the 13th Part 3 and they didn't really work that well, maybe because they were done quite a while ago or because they weren't on Blu Ray - I don't know, so I was a little sceptical about getting this, but when I was watching it I was just so impressed with how good and three dimensional it looked that I couldn't stop saying to my friend how stunning it looked. It wasn't perfect though - the colour has a very washed-out look to it (as it's mainly greens and reds) and some of the effects where they're supposed to pop out of the screen (like the bird and the yo-yo) sometimes have a ghost effect on them, but generally I was so surprised at how good it looked that I didn't once think that I'll have to watch the 2-D version too (which was my initial thought when buying it).

Overall this was a really enjoyable and silly film that I recommend to anyone who wants an light-hearted and thrill-a-minute family action film and also to anyone who wants to see how well 3-D films work in HD Blu Ray. A solid three and a half stars from me!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll give it a thumbs up!, 30 Oct 2008
Oliver Knieps "soul4rock" (Münster) - See all my reviews
Well, there's already the known classic movie based on Jules Verne's timeless book. Fact is, in the trendy "Let's shoot all the film classics new!"-hype, there could basically be no such better adventure than "Journey to the center of the earth." In todays computer-driven blockbusters, the whole power of Vernes epic idea could blast us from our seats in the 21st century if the production would be appropriate.

Eric Bervig, directing this movie, did all in all a fine job. The cast with Brandan Fraser is quite good and he is doing a nice performance. I will not go into detail here regarding the storyline. All of you might be more interested in how the long anticipated blu ray release turns out.

The movie was intentionally done to be produced and shot in 3D, which means that two cameras have to face the objects from a different view, then in post-production the material is being rendered with green and red shapes (one from each camera) and in addition to the included 3D-glasses in the package, you simulate your brain that acutally you are in the movie!

Question is, how great turns the technology out? "Bugs! Adventures in the Rainforest" was a 3D HD-DVD Release last year that had the same technology. Trouble was, the Hi Def picture lost a bit sharpness and contrast in 3D-Mode, but was looking stunning in 2D.
Here, in "Journey...." we have the complete Opposite.

Picture:
Let's get straight to the point: The Movie in 3D is just AWESOME!!!! Thankfully, there is no big loss of Hi Def picture quality in 3D and you will be amazed, on how incredibly detailed rocks, skins, hairs or other objects will be. The moment when the trio enters the big cave is absolutely stunning in its beauty. Colors are bright, detail is crisp and contrast solid. Some scenes may have a bit loss of 3D effect, but thats not a lot.

The producers put actually two times the movie on the 50 GB disc. According to my codec-o-meter of the PS3, the data flow in 3D is MUCH higher than the 2D picture version. It seems that the director wanted the 3D Version of the movie to become the featured part on the blu ray and gave it a moren than solid compression.

The 2D picture looks quite nice, but once you saw the film in 3D, you never want to switch back again. In 2D, some scenes look a bit soft and blurry, sometimes lacking the incredible sharp detial that is Hi Def. All in all, the 2D HD picture is still very good and worth a Blu Ray release in every case. I guess that the director gave a shot to the 3D mode in production, that is why the compression flow of the 2D version was intentionally a bit lower.

Included on the disc are three short featurettes, thankfully all in HD!
You will get four 3D glasses and a bonus digital copy disc of the film to be shown on iPod etc.

Parting toughts:

"Journey To The Center Of The Earth" might be the most interesting blu ray release at the moment when it comes to the incredible 3D effect. Imagine this movie to be shown in 3D on a 70" LCD or projector screen!
The supplemental stuff is satisfying. This blu ray showcases the actual power that is Hi Def in a whole new way and might be an inspiration to other filmmakers or producers to show off cinema in a different way...

Picture:

2D: 7/10
3D 9.5/10

Audio:

English DTS-HD: 8/10

Bonus Stuff: 7/10

Note: The US-Blu Ray is region code free!

4.0 out of 5 stars Proper 3D on the blu ray version, 21 May 2013
P. Bessant (Portsmouth UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Journey To The Center Of The Earth [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Amazon have for some reason listed the same set of reviews for this recent 2012 blu ray edition as the original 2009 DVD version. I just want to point out that the inferior red/green glasses are with the old DVD edition. This Blu ray features the proper high definition 3D that requires a 3D TV. I bought the DVD release a few years ago and the tinted glasses obviously ruin the overall picture quality...,so much so that I preferred watching it in standard 2D. This updated release on blu ray shows the 3D off to spectacular effect with rich full colour and objects flying out of the screen. Some of the effects are done just to show off but overall it's a fun film that can now finally be enjoyed in proper 3D not in a green/ red mess. Avoid the DVD version, Amazon need to separate the two sets of reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars A great family fantasy film which looks really cool in 3D!, 27 May 2009
Dragonlord (Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The Journey To The Center Of The Earth comes with two pairs of 3D glasses and watching the film in 3D really is amazing on my 42 inch Panasonic tv. I kept on finding myself moving from side to side as different things came flying towards me. Watching the film normally is just as enjoyable because it's such a good fun film, which is taken from a classic fantasy novel. Brendan Fraser always makes me laugh in his films and I can't wait to see The Mummy 3 which he stars in too. If you like your fantasy films fast paced with some humour then Journey To The Center Of The Earth is for you and, watch out for the fish they will make you jump out of your seat when you are watching it in 3D!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Viewing, 6 Aug 2009
I am reviewing the 3D experience, not the movie content.
I spent good money on getting a 1080P projector, a large screen and all the other items you need for the home cinema experience 7.1 surround. Putting this film on in 3D was like watching a movie on an old, old 1950's TV. Poor focus, poor colour and poor cheapo 3D specs. It was so bad I was tempted to throw it away but will keep it for the 2D version. This attempt at 3D was no better than it was 20 years ago and it was very poor then.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, great 3D improves average movie, 26 Dec 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and found the 3D to be excellent. Im not a huge fan of these adventure type films, and hadnt previously thought much of many of Brendan Frazers efforts. The film itself isnt amazing, probably 6/10 for me, but the addition of the 3D pushes it up to 8/10 in my opinion. I dont usualy rate films on amazon but thought I would share my thoughts as the negative reviews here almost stopped me buying it. Its not the regular 3D we have seen in the past, and standard 3D glasses dont work on it, they need to be one of the 2 pairs supplied. To give an indication of my thoughts on this, as an action adventure film I found it more enjoyable than the recent Indiana Jones movie, and thats coming from somebody who loved the original Indy films. Perhaps the 3d is a love hate thing, or it works for some more than others. For example, I have never been able to see a magic eye picture, equally when I got my wife to take a look at the 3d on this she was fairly underwhelmed. Overall it was a really enjoyable experiance, I would certainly take a chance on the next 3d bluray offering - I recommend this fairly highly, dont expect an epic adventure but I think you will certainly enjoy it for the 90 or so minutes it runs for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent family fun!!!, 11 Nov 2008
I felt I must write a review for this title because it doesn't deserve so many bad reviews. I bought this as christmas present for our young children and decided to watch it with my husband last night. It had us both ducking out of the way of the various 3D objects/animals lurching at us from the screen! The 3D works very, very well. It isn't perfect. There is a slight 'ghost' effect and the colour is obviously affected by the glasses but I think this is as good as it could ever be for home viewing. The 3D aside though, the film isn't as good as it could be, it felt as though it was rushed towards the end. Silly plot, cheesy acting in parts, but so what? It IS a kids film! (Though I would have liked a few more creatures in there.) But the 3D does make it worth while. And If my husband and I where impressed, our kids are going to be amazed! (knowing that they have never seen a 3D film before).
My only serious complaint is that this Region 2 disc only comes with 2 sets of glasses, while the Region 1 disc comes with 4. Had I known this before purchase, I would have looked elsewhere for the Region 1 version because, of course, only 2 people can watch it at once. If anyone knows where I could buy more 3D magenta/green glasses, I love to hear from you! :-)
All in all, a fantastic bit of fun for the family! As long as there is only 2 people in your family...

4.0 out of 5 stars "I Really Wish I Had Read the Book.", 31 Oct 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Trevor Anderson (Brendan Fraser) is a professor trying to carry on his late brother's work. His brother studied earthquakes and volcanoes. But the university is losing interest and it looks like the lab will be shut down.

That same day, Trevor's nephew is dumped on his door step for a few days. Trevor hasn't seen Sean (Josh Hutcherson) in years. It looks to be an awkward time until Trevor finds an old copy of Jules Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth that his brother had marked up. As he begins to interpret his brother's comments, he begins to think there may be more going on than he knows about.

As so the two set off to Iceland. Hiring Hannah (Anita Briem), they set out to recover a probe. But a series of events find them falling into a magical world. Can they find their way out?

I went in expecting a highly fun, fantasy adventure. And I got just what I had bargained for. The movie takes a fairly healthy dose of suspension of belief, but considering the premise, I didn't have a problem with that at all.

This is a special effects heavy movie with the plot at times being nothing but an excuse for them. But they were amazing. And the plot works, too. Yes, it's predictable, but it is fun, so that didn't matter to me.

Granted, it helped that I cared for the characters. And the acting by the three leads was good enough to draw me into the story.

For all my praise, I do have two complaints. The first is the pacing. The movie took a little too long setting things up before the adventure really started. Secondly, the ads for the movie gave away too much of the story. I sure wish marketing departments would figure that out.

The film is rated PG due to the action elements. It will be too intense for kids who get scared easily. But any kids who can handle some suspense will love it.

So if you are looking for a family movie night, give this one a chance. If your kids won't be scared by it, you'll all enjoy an amazing trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 31 Jan 2009
Mr. Paul J. White (UK) - See all my reviews
my fiance and me just watched this film on blue ray and have to say very impressive, picture is very clear indeed. Story is easy to follow and certain bits can make you jump. A kinda film for the family, kids will love it cant go wrong for under £15 for blue ray when dvds can be more. well worth every penny in my eyes!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real 3D?, 3 May 2013
S. Hardie - See all my reviews
Just to clear it up, if you buy the rereleased blu ray from October 2012 the version you get is the Full HD (real) 3D version, the 2008 blu ray is the old (anaglyphic style) red blue 3D.

The 3D version of this film is one of the best we've seen for pop out 3D along with the sequel.

Journey To The Center Of The Earth [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray]