BE AWARE YOU CANNOT EXPAND THE 1GB RAM ON THIS MODEL....but can work around this.

Published 16 months ago by Mr. P. Hoang

1.0 out of 5 stars So slow!
We sent this back, it was so slow it would have made us crazy. Only good point was that it was really quiet without usual fan noise.
Published 15 months ago by Susan Paget

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little netbook if you use SD card and reduce unnnecessary memmory ussage, 18 April 2013
Mr. P. Hoang "phunh" (london) - See all my reviews

I read allot of reviews and compared allot of the other netbooks and found that this overall was the best one, certainly for the price and the fact that it was a LED screen and could play HD content. One thing I noticed was that there was allot of criticism and bad reviews about this particular model and yet there were some really positive reviews and how they were loving it so was confused as to which to believe!I am of the latter now after a few weeks use. I can definitely understand why the people who hated this model why they did with such a passion!

Straight out of the box if you were only to do light browsing and use Microsoft word you would be fine and would certainly have a good experience, but when you start pushing it and want to multi task and use it as you would like a full blown pc or laptop that's where the problems start but I knew this as the clue was in the 1gb ram and title "NETBOOK".

The problem lies with the 1gb ram WHICH CANNOT BE EXPANDED as the ram is soldered to the board so no slot to remove and upgrade, I don't know why probably due to costs or something. I'd read beforehand that you can improve windows performance by using ready boost by inserting a SD card or even a USB stick, the extra memory is used by windows to install data that would normally be stored on the ram, it certainly helps particularly if you will be installing lots of programs, you can only use up to 4036mb which is about 3gb so you only need a SD card or USB with at least 4gb anything more is a waste. The next thing I did was to set about reducing the memory usage by deleting and turning off various services programs and settings, having done all this I've managed to get memory usage from about 700mb down to about 500mb!! and still finding things to improve speed wise. So its no wonder when straight out of the box if you were to stick a heavy anti virus software and anti-spy ware and go onto open several tabs this thing would crawl and crash!! BTW DONT USE CHROME yes it is fast and better browser but it comes at a cost and uses allot of resources it would be fine on a desktop or laptop but not a tiny netbook stick to IE 10 its just as fast and uses less resources.

Having done all this messing about with settings and putting a 8gb SDHC card for ready boost this laptop pretty much functions as a normal PC and I'm using it as such from watching films, downloading, browsing arranging music, films. But don't get carried away its not never gonna compete with the full blown laptops so don't expect to be editing HD videos or playing PC games on this, but then I never bought this for that! But as of now I'm using it normally as I would with my desktop! with the bonus its just as light and small as a mac air!!

Of course if you are technically minded you could put Linux on this and would be able to play with the big boys comfortably on it.

If you aren't confident with computers and just want something that will work seamlessly THEN THS NETBOOK is not for you JUST BUY A TABLET. But if you are willing to put in the effort and don't mind tinkering with computers then this laptop will exceed your expectations of a tiny 1gb netbook and love it!!

Not a 5 star as its far from perfect but loving it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for university, 6 Feb 2013
T. David (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus Eee PC X101CH 10.1-inch Netbook (Purple) - (Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
Before purchasing this product, I read the other reviews and noticed they all had one thing in common, the slowness from the RAM. After doing a little research of my own, knowing that the internal memory could no be upgraded, I found my perfect solution.

I did notice myself when first using it that it was slow, so dug out my 8GB SDHC memory card, whacked that in and used that to boost the RAM. The difference it has made (giving another 4GB of RAM) is wonderful.

I brought this as something small to take with me into university everyday (I have to travel to central London)rather than taking a full sized laptop. It is certainly small and lightweight, perfect for me to carry around with me.

I'm still adjusting to using the smaller keyboard, which is only to be expected. I changed the power settings, dimming the screen down more and saving on power. It actually lasts me for days before I really need to charge it (current use at uni is minimal, but that will soon change). It's main uses include internet browsing (via Chrome) and Microsoft Office. So far so good.

For someone considering this product, but worried about the slowness and the RAM, just stick a memory card in, set it to be used as ReadyBoost, and away you go. Just note that the memory card cannot be accessed for anything else as long as it is used for memory. I rarely use the SD card slot on any device, so makes no difference to me.

For me, this has been a great buy. The reason it only received the 4 stars was due to the speed, which has a separate solution. Overall it is a good NetBook, it suits my needs and have yet to have any issues with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Big laptop capacity in netbook case., 9 Jan 2013
I bought this machine for my daughter to replace and upgrade a previous netbook - having decided that a tablet wouldn't necessarily fit the bill for the amount of use and homework etc. The spec - especially the hard drive capacity - rivals that of full-sized laptops of just a couple of years ago and the performance matches that - with a little tweaking.

The tweaking is the operating system. The stripped-out Windows 7 "Starter" manages the double whammy of both lacking the capacity to do much useful (struggled and failed to install a network printer) and overwhelming the 1GB memory, giving a machine which works frustratingly slowly in its supplied form. Additionally, the full installed version of Microsoft Office is only available on the payment of a further license fee :( .

The solution is simple - slap a Linux distribution on (for the technically-minded I set up a dual-boot which still allows access to Windows). Asus already supply some machines with Ubuntu (Linux) pre-installed (sadly, hard to find in the UK) so, having checked the comparative spec, I was confident that it would work - especially as the hard drive already comes partitioned as if expecting it...

It now runs much quicker than originally supplied and has the full functionality of a full-sized machine - including proper touch-pad scrolling and a full (free) office suite.

Additionally, it it gives the impression of being designed and built as a small but quality product with the textured case resisting the scratches of everyday use and the keyboard giving a reassuring quality feel. In its supplied form it struggles to compete with a tablet but as "tweaked" is able to play with the big boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus X101H, 31 Mar 2012
I have had one of these netbook's for about a month now and i am very pleased with it. Its small and light with a very modern design. The texture over the majority of the case gives an up market feel. The build quality is first class, i have rarely been more impressed with a product especially when you take its cost into account. I have extensively used an android tablet which is fine for light browsing but i must be old fashioned and i missed having a physical keyboard.

The screen is good, having a matt finish which i prefer over a glossy screen as i intend to use this in the garden this summer. It is nice and bright when on mains and even on its lowest setting when running on battery it is perfectly useable. It has a webcam at the top of the screen that is fairly good quality and fine for msn messenger.

The keyboard is very good, i have not owned a netbook before and was worried about the keyboard after always using full size laptops. The keys have a nice precise feel and weighting and there is no flex at all.

Battery life appears to be a bit of a shortcoming on this netbook. I think i am getting in the region of 3 hours from a full charge although this is improving with each use as the battery goes through a few cycles. This however is fine for my needs as it mainly stays plugged in. The battery is only 3 cells and this helps keep the very thin form factor and this is the pay off for the slimness.

I was worried about performance of netbooks in general after reading loads of reviews of various models. I am quite happy with it though. I have office professional 2010 installed on it and word and excel open quickly and work fine in general use. Web browsing is fine as long as you don't have too many media rich windows open. I have put an old 4gb SD card into the media slot and set it up for ready boost and this improved the performance somewhat. I have just ordered a 2GB memory stick to further improve things. (N.B. please be aware i have reviewed my X101H, it appears as per the comments below that the X101CH may not be upgradeable) The computer itself runs very quietly and the fan is just a gentle and unobtrusive hum.

Windows 7 starter is fine and has all the basic functions you would need. It comes with a fair bit of junk software which i have removed. It boots up very quickly and will come out of sleep mode and be ready to go in 5-10 seconds.

To sum up i am very pleased with this little laptop, it suits my needs fine. If i was travelling regularly battery life may be an issue but for a home based machine this is ideal. It looks more expensive than it cost mainly due to the very thin and light design and the high quality feel. I thoroughly recommend you give this little netbook a second look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Netbook, 10 July 2013
Writing this review on my Asus Eee PC X101CH 10.1 inch Netbook - White.

After deciding on a netbook over a tablet having used my brothers netbook i wanted one.

I went with this product because there was no other netbook in the market that was at this price.

This product out of the box without upgradeble ram is slow. Do not let that discourage you on buying this product. Read further to understand why.

Design is solid and very pretty, lightweight and useable.

Out of the box like previously mentioned first inital use the netbook is slow.

My first step - Get Windows 7 updates (will take a while)

My second step - Remove bloatware that comes with the Netbook.

Remove bloatware that comes with the netbook. If you don't know what to uninstall from the programs list in control pannel. This link will show you what you need to uninstall.

[...]

After doing this the difference? Very noticeable.

My Third step - Readyboost.

After reading about readyboost and understanding it i purchased a Sandisk (ULTRA) Class 10 SDHC Card with 8GB Size @ 30MB/S. I then recieved this badboy and inserted it into the netbook and formatted it to NTFS @ Max capacity. (Right click on the drive and click format in my computer) Then right clicked properties on this badboy and selected Readyboost and put it on full capacity (all of the card).

I then inserted my 8GB Crucial usb memory stick and formatted it @ NTFS and then again set it to readyboost.

Both devices are running at full capacity on readyboost and the computer is multitasking and running software with speed and no problem.

Enjoy this product there is nothing wrong with it and for the price its a bargin. Thats of course if you know what your doing.

Thanks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Opt for the 2gig ubuntu version if possible, 25 Jan 2013
It's a neat little netbook featuring the intel atom n2600 cedar trail. Mine is the 2GB version. It came preinstalled with ubuntu 12.04.

Pluses: very light, good keyboard(for a netbook), passively cooled and silent, matte screen, matte surfaces. OK for browsing or some productivity.

Minuses: heating means this is not a lap-friendly device. GMA3600 video chip support is missing. Tweaking required for accelerated video playback. No 3D support on Linux (OpenGL is emulated from software, performance is bad), so 3D gaming is a no go.

Out of the box accelerated video playback didnt work, even 720p was choppy. It required some tweaking to enable 1080p. Now it plays 1080p videos with 15% cpu load. 3 cells battery is good for about 3 hours of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars ...Excellent Value for Money..., 6 July 2012
David Shakespeare "advid" (London UK) - See all my reviews
....I brought the Asus for my old dad who is still using a 'clunky' old desktop XP based PC that he's used for about eight years.. He's not really that computer literate - just checks a bit of email, internet banking and online bills and he does a bit of 'Googling' whenever he needs to know a lot about a little !

I set it up for him - got him online with all his tabbed favourites along the Chrome browser bar and he seems to be totally gobsmacked that such a little compact and lightweight device can be so effective..even when used on his lap !

OK - it's not the greatest 'wizzer' - in fact as a netbook it's no better than many others out there despite its updated processor.. but value for money the lightweight design and good build quality makes it a lovely little box that will do EXACTLY what it says on the tin...

Keyboard feels good - trackpad is nice - screen (matte) excellent - HDMI out works very well - quick startup time, fantastic --- the ONLY LETDOWN is the rather short battery life, probably 3 hours or thereabouts max....

Even taking that into account - I still give it a full five stars...

UPDATE : After only a few weeks of use I noticed that the Asus was getting hotter and hotter underneath and sometimes the pointer seizing up on the trackpad. Made it totally unuseable due to overheating CPU. Can only presume that the internal cooling fan had packed up... RETURNED IT FOR A FULL REFUND...

1.0 out of 5 stars So slow!, 29 May 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Asus Eee PC X101CH 10.1-inch Netbook (Purple) - (Intel Atom N2600... Asus, 6 July 2013
Not bad for the cost but rather slow , had a netbook previously and that one was far better . Its light weight and i love the colour

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST KEPT ASUS SECRET, 29 April 2013
I was a little dubious about this netbook, with only one gb of RAM and no upgrade availabe I had almost dicounted it as suitable for my needs.
Then I read a review by a student who said that by dedicating an SDHC 8GB card to a function called "ReadyBoost" you could increase the RAM availability up to 4-5 GB of RAM.
Well, it wasn't as easy as she made it sound but I got there..... and now have a netbook equal to others who've paid twice , three times what I did ! I forsee that once this 'anomily' becomes common knowledge, these babies are gonna fly of the shelves. My advice ? DON''T MISS OUT.
This is the best value for money this side of Jupiter !
Ps. See the student write up after the prod descrip on the website.