5.0 out of 5 stars From a BT customer, great
I thought I would post a review of the product, as there are very few BT-specific reviews here and I spent a long time trying to work out which routers would work with a BT connection.

Published on 7 Jan 2011 by E. Clarke

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept dropping broadband connection
Bought two of these to supply and install for one customer and also to replace my own router at home (I am a computer technician). Easy to set up, rather bizarre-looking but up and running in no time at all. But..... my home one had problems straight away. The broadband was slow, intermittent and kept dropping off.
Checked all settings, should have been no problem...
Published 21 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars From a BT customer, great, 7 Jan 2011
E. Clarke "Ed Clarke" (England) - See all my reviews

I know very little about broadband and the seemingly endless abbreviations that go with it (I'm sick of hearing people going on and on about ADSL, DSL, PPPoE, MBP, LAN, WAN, WEP, WPA, VPN without explaining what the hell they are!)

We had a standard BT wirer router for our broadband connection. The first thing to point out is how easy this new router is to set up. The instruction booklet is very clear about setup, and if you have any doubts, the setup CD confirms it all and even has a little video showing how to connect the various confusing wires into the right places. I know generally what each one does but the video assumes you are a complete novice, so it's extra clear and helpful. It tells you what LEDs will light up on the device when you've got it all right.

Once you've connected the 3 or so wires to the right place, you run the CD in a computer, and follow the simple steps outlined in the instruction booklet. When it comes to configuring the device, you just select your ISP (Internet Service Provider) from the drop down menu (in my case BT), and make sure "PPPoE" is the selected option just below it.

The only problem came in the next stage, where after a bit of loading it asks you for a PPPoE username and password (still don't know what PPPoE stands for, don't really care either). This PPPoE, it says, should be provided by your Service provider. For a BT customer, you need to enter the username "bthomehubATbtbroadbandDOTcom" (replace the AT with @ and DOT with .). The password is "bt". Thank you to the very helpful man on the BT Customer helpline for that. This is THE standard BT PPPoE username and password and works for ALL makes of wireless router, providing it is compatible with BT (look for routers with an ADSL or ADSL2 configuration).

That is the only "what do I do" moment of the whole setup, the rest is just leaving the default settings that the router provides for you and clicking Next all the way to the end. No need to enter any other weird obscure passwords or codes. It provides you with a Product Key during the process, so write that down. (It's basically a password that means only you will be able to access your wireless connection).

Minus the phone call to BT it probably took about 15 minutes to set up. Wireless works great from the other end of the house (brick walls in between). If it helps you decide, we live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by fields, where signal is usually pretty poor. I have also connected a second computer via a wired connection (there are 4 sockets at the back of the unit for a standard wired connection), and my Playstation 3 via a wired one too, although that could use the wireless if I wanted to.

Hope this has helped if you're with BT and wondering if this'll work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Money, very pleased, 30 Aug 2010
I recently bought this item after a fair amount of searching for a reasonably priced, solid wireless n router. Up until now I have been using a netgear with which i've had a lot of trouble, particularly with the stability of the internet connection and the ability to watch any form of streaming video, for instance BBC iPlayer on my iPhone. Having set my newly acquired TP-LINK router up in under 5 minutes through the extremely easy configuration interface, I now have a rock solid and (on my newer devices with the appropriate network card) a lightning quick internet connection. Even on the older devices that only support the wireless g standard the connection is very fast.

I appreciate that there are lot of wireless routers out there that portray themselves as being fast, but by far the most important thing when acquiring a router is to make sure that it has a good solid stable connection. The impact of various factors such as interference, noise on the line etc can all lead to instabilities however this router is able to deal with them extremely well.

Do not be put off by the only negative review of this router, there are a couple of details that you may need from your ISP however the router gives you the option of entering the more standard ISPs (mine being BT broadband) during the setup and auto-populates those values for you. The only thing I needed to enter was the ISP username and password, encryption type and security key which is all pretty standard stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive ADSL Modem N Router, 2 April 2010
Mr. A. Rhoden (UK) - See all my reviews
TP-Link Wireless N-ADSL Modem Router Model TD-W8960N I bought this router to upgrade my Belkin 11g router that began dropping the connection on my wireless network, anyhow. I ordered this TP Link router because it was by far the cheapest N ADSL modem router out-there, but with only 1 review on it I was a bit nervous. Also at the time I did not like the look of it, purely aesthetics I suppose. Now I absolutely LOVE how it looks, a bit retro. The despatch time was extremely quick about 3Days from order to delivery.
So far so good. What's in the box? The router and all the cables you'll need, albeit slightly short, at least they were for me, an ADSL splitter and the installation CD. I didn't need these because my existing Belkin router, power cable, phone line and ethernet cable etc was all the same, so I just plugged these into the TP Link router.
The router was a complete breeze to set up I just inserted the CD as instructed, followed the on screen instructions entered all my credentials from my ISP i.e. username password etc. When the CD finished loading my internet was connected, it really was as easy as that. The speed is quite good upto 300Mbps on the other PC using an Edimax EW-7728In 802.11n PCI WiFi Card. I'm so glad I bought this very capable Router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Router, 2 May 2013
I wanted to use my TV to access the Net but I was unable to maintain a connection short of re-locating the old router to a more central position but in this position I needed to connect my Desk-top via a USB adapter rather than a lead (hard wired) although it worked it was not reliable so I bit the bullet and bought the TP-LInk which does exactly "what it says on the can" EXCEPT I cannot connect one of my external hard drives (I have two, one is for backups and the other for storage) the one containing all my Photos etc. I learn that not all drives are compatible, but I learnt this only after I bought the router! This apart, it is great and has the range as the PC is at the opposite end of the house furthest from my TV and everything works and much faster than the old router - pity about except the external drive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, much better than the stock Sky router, 28 July 2014
I am more than happy with this. It is both a modem and router, which means that you can use it to replace the default modem/router provided your broadband company. I wanted to replace my old Sky Sagem router as it had become unreliable. Be warned though, if you aim to replace a Sky router, then you will need to know your PPPoA username and password. Sky support will not give you this information, as they claim that they don't hold it. They will also want you to buy a new router from them at a cost of £79! It feels like they are holding you to ransom! All is not lost though, I was able to find our the username and password by using a site I found online. I don't think Amazon will let me post a link, but if you search for "sky router password generator" then you should find the right page quite quickly. All of the information you need to work out your credentials can be found on the bottom of your router.

4.0 out of 5 stars Installation guidelines could be clearer, 15 Mar 2013
The unit comes with a mini disc but as I have a Samsung laptop which does not have a slide out tray just a disc insert/eject slot I was afraid to use it in case it got stuck. In the end I used my old desktop computer for the initial install as the instructions require its first connection via a "wired connection" anyway. They try to assist by listing the major Broadband providers as part of the setup procedure but - Sods Law - mine (Utility Warehouse) was not listed but I chose the "generic" setting and it works really well, faster than my old wired connection. Works all round the house no problem and would recommend it as a good piece of kit at a sensible price. I am presently trying to get my weekly backup to route to the hard drive on the USB port but so far no luck mainly due to the Microsoft backup routine not letting me change from the hard drives previous location.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very simple setup, 11 May 2010
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Given the price of this device I was slightly worried that it would have a very limited feature set and be almost useless for my needs. Fortunately I needn't have worried. This is a fully speced 4 Port ADSL Wireless N Router. It is provided with 2 phone connection leads, a short ethernet cable, a power supply, an ADSL splitter and an easy start CD. There are a couple of thin leaflets but they do not provide much information.

Installation was very simple. Plugged it in, connected my PC by the ethernet cable and followed the wizard - all you really need to do is provide the connection settings from your ISP. I then went in to the web based menus and configured everything else I wanted it do.

There is a basic firewall configuration on the device which allow all type of traffic OUT of your network, but allows no traffic IN to your network - this is adequate for most home needs, but you can add your own packlet filters as required. It has the usual wireless configuration with MAC filtering and it support WPA2. It supports IPSec VPN traffic so you can communicate with your home office PCs if you need to. The fastest wireless speed I have managed is 150Mbps, but as my broadband is only 8Mbps it isn't really an issue. I have 2 cabled PCs a couple of wireless PCs ( a mix of Wireless G and N) and a Wii connected. Range is pretty good, and is an improvement over my old wireless G router

It was cheap, it has the features that I wanted and it was easy to setup.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant router, once you get the settings correct., 13 Feb 2012
Before I start, I'll just say that I'm going to make this review as detailed as possible so if you don't want to read it all I'll put a 'Too long; didn't read' at the bottom to sum it up.

So after a few days of waiting, the router arrived and as always with Amazon the package was in a great condition with plenty of protection. I'd rang up my service provider a few days earlier so had all the details I needed to get the router connected to my internet straight away.

The setup couldn't have been easier, and I had the router sorted within 5/10 minutes of plugging it in. So of course I proceeded to connect all devices (Laptops/iPods/iPhone/Xbox) to the router, however after just a few hours (while I was on my Xbox) I disconnected from Xbox Live. I looked across to my laptop and saw that it had also been disconnected from the internet. I found the the same result with my iPod so went to my router (on the other side of the house, which shows how good a range this thing has, I get 2 or 3 bars signal on my Xbox) to see whether the internet had just simply dropped out, but to my surprise all lights were green. The router appeared back on the wireless networks list of each device after a few minutes and I simply reconnected to it. Thinking nothing of it I continued to game. Then the same thing happened about 4/5 hours later, but with only 1 or 2 devices connected. This time I got a bit annoyed, and decided to consult Google for some advice. Most of the answers were telling me to get the latest firmware update, except THE ROUTER CAME WITH THE LATEST FIRMWARE.

So of course, I had no idea what was wrong with it. All of this continued for a few days, with me having no idea how to sort it out; I'd even changed the channel from 'Auto' to '11' but this did little to help. So one morning after the 6th or 7th disconnect in just 4 days, I powered up my laptop and went to work on the router settings (put [...] into the URL bar of your browser) and saw a setting under 'Wireless' > 'Advanced' that was labelled 'Bandwidth'. It's default setting is 20/40MHz, so I changed it to 20MHz, hoping it would minimise interference etc. And it worked! To my immense surprise, it stopped the router randomly dropping out. It's been nearly two months now and the only drop outs I've had have been caused by my service provider. The router is absolutely superb, and after "fixing" it I have no complaints whatsoever. Plus it's a complete bargain; you'd be hard pushed to find a better router than this for the price.

Tl;dr: The router/wireless signal was continuously dropping out when I got it, but after altering the channel (on channel 11 now) and bandwidth setting (selecting just 20MHz instead of 20/40Mhz) it now works great and has a brilliant range and good speed.

If you're looking for a high quality ADSL router at a low price, this is the one to get.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kept dropping broadband connection, 25 Feb 2013
Checked all settings, should have been no problem. Sync speed was fine, download speeds were terrible. Streaming services such as iPlayer and Netflix were impossible to watch.

Had a call from the customer who I installed the other one for, and hers was exactly the same.
Amazon took these two back with no hassle, so full marks to Amazon.
It's a shame, because TP-Link make some very good network switches, these were just a duff batch I feel.

Also, why do Amazon insist on lumping reviews of different models together? It's infuriating because a newer model might be a big improvement, but will get the bad marks from the previous model, and vice-versa.

I'm now using a Billion 7800N - a lot more expensive, but so far the most reliable router I have ever used!

4.0 out of 5 stars good router, 11 Oct 2010
easy to set up- works great- very good value for money
Have it working with win xp laptop, vista laptop, old ibook, new imac, ipad and wii...