5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Linux support
I bought this card specifically to be used with Linux since it's the only operating system I use.
I works flawlessly out of the box with Ubuntu 10.10, no configuration needed whatsoever.
After boot clicking the network manager icon will present you the list of available networks.
It can reach N speeds too depending on the signal strength.
The antenna...
Published on 12 Dec 2010 by ndrchvzz

2.0 out of 5 stars had to jump through a lot of hoops to make it work
Published 4 months ago by Nicholas J Wood

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Linux support, 12 Dec 2010
It can reach N speeds too depending on the signal strength.
The antenna provided can be unscrewed in order to connect a more powerful antenna, which I did, using a TL-ANT2405C.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Aug 2010
At first I wasn't sure about the integrity of this wireless card because it was so cheap. I was searching for a wireless card with Windows 7, 64 bit support
and found this, so far I am very impressed. This Atheros AR9285 chipset is very fast receiving the data over my 54mbps wireless network and compatible with Linux too and it only took 3 days to arrive on the super saver;-))
I am very pleased with this item and would recommend you get it.

2.0 out of 5 stars had to jump through a lot of hoops to make it work, 23 July 2014
Disappointing. I'm reasonably computer-savvy, but I had real trouble with this. Easy enough to physically install the card itself, but the problems started when I used the bundled software utility to install the drivers. The utility seemed to finish its job, and the card was powered (green light on the back), but it wouldn't find any wireless network (despite being three feet from my wireless router), and the TP link management software had all of the useful options "greyed out" (i.e. impossible to select).

I fooled with it for several hours, uninstalling and reinstalling drivers from various sources (if you search for the model name and "problems" you will find several reports of people having similar issues - particularly it seems with Windows 7, 64bit). No success, and I was ready to write it off as a bad choice - either a poor network card, or a good network card with a mysterious software conflict that is beyond my powers to resolve.

The last thing I tried was unplugging the card from my motherboard, and plugging it into a different slot. Suddenly it worked perfectly. The really strange thing is that it doesn't work in any of the PCIe x1 slots (of which I have several vacant), but it does work if I plug it into the PCIe x16 slot (of which I have only one spare - planning to fit a second graphics card at some point in the future). I can find no reason why this should be the case - the PCIe x1 slots should work fine. I am a bit annoyed that this is the only way I have found to resolve it, as it closes off a future upgrade path for my computer. No idea if this fix would work for anyone else - but if you plan to try it, be aware that this fix will only work for you if you have a spare PCIe x16 slot on the motherboard - and many motherboards do not have this feature.

Now it works absolutely perfectly, but I am mystified as to why it only functions in that particular PCI slot. I will probably have another go at messing with it in the near future, when I can find a few hours. I hope this is useful to anyone who is trying to get it to work.

N

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely close to wired speeds over WiFi with this card., 2 Aug 2014
This is a really good card. I just recently got upgraded to Virign Media's 100mbps internet package. The micro wireless USB adapter from Edimax I was using wasn't reaching anywhere near the 100mbps over wireless. I was getting 30-35mbps on a good connection, but it would drop as low as 3-5mbps sometimes, and was just generally unstable. The USB tethering on my phone was fairing a bit better getting me a stable 30-35mbps, buy still nowhere near 100mbps. Even when using my phone or a tablet right next to the hub I was only getting 40-45mbps max. I initially suspected the super hub may be at fault, that maybe it's wireless output signal wasn't up to par, but after reading a lot of positive reviews for this card, and particularly a few reviews I seen from people who have Virgin Media internet connections of 100mbps+ saying they were getting full speeds over WiFi with this card, I decided to buy it to see if it would make a difference, and it did. I'm getting near enough wired speeds with this at about 3 meters away, stable 105-107mbps download on speedtest, and 5-7mbps upload. I'm very happy with the results and would recommend it to anyone who is on a high speed internet package but who find that their hardware is crippling their speeds over WiFi.

3.0 out of 5 stars Drivers a let down, 9 April 2011
C. Hammond "EscapeArtist" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I ordered this card to replace my previous 54mbps card and the improvement has been notable, especially when streaming media around the house. The only problem I received was the drivers out of the box did not work at all well. Initially the card would drop signal, not see any networks etc. I contacted the support team and they directed me to some third party unsigned drivers that resolved this issue. While I was happy to have this problem resolved, if they are aware of the driver problems, why not release a set of official drivers that work?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable connection and speed, 19 April 2013
H. Eaton "Helena Eaton" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: TP-Link TL-WDN3800 N600 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter (Personal Computers)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This has proved to be an excellent product in a household where we have many devices connected to wireless at any one time. Firstly, and importantly, it's easy to install, even for a non-techie.

Apparently, the adapter means that some activities can be done through the 2.4GHz network while others are on the 5GHz band. The 5GHz is idea for online gaming and video streaming as it provides a more stable signal, not competing with other devices and activities. I don't really know what all that means from a technical point of view, but from a practical point of view, we've noticed a massive different in reliability, signal strength and connection speed.

Highly recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, but wouldn't recommend ..., 23 July 2014
This card isn't the best. Yes, it does the job when browsing the internet but the card is often inconsistent. Every 10 minutes or so the card decides whether I can go on the internet or play online games and just goes up and down. When downloading it can be fast in periods but is generally quite slow, my notebook that I have had for about 3 years has quicker internet and upload/download speeds than this. Also the driver disk isn't "Windows 8 ready" because when you come to install them, you can't on windows 8 so it just crashes your PC, but the card is so if you need the latest drivers, you have to go to the website. Wouldn't recommend just get an Ethernet cable fitted and used wired, much MUCH faster!

Update: My opinion on this card just got even worse, hence the 2 star! I found out today that I am paying for 100Mps of internet, I thought I was on 60. After doing speed tests from different sources I found out on average this card was giving me about 12 of the 100Mps I pay for (Download) and 6.5 (Upload). The card was very inconsistent during the tests and often jumped between 10-15Mps and the upload speed staying stable which is the only good thing. Very disappointed! DON'T BUY.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it seems, 14 Mar 2012
I brought 2 of these, one for my partners windows vista pc and one for my windows 7 pc. The installation on the vista pc was easy. I just fitted the adapter in to the pc, turned it on, ran the included cd to install the drivers and that was it, it was ready to use. However the signal strength is not very good even though the router is only in the hallway right next to the room the pc is in.On the windows 7 pc, i fitted the adapter in the same way, turned on the pc, it automatically found the drivers so i did not need to use the cd. However thats as good as it got. No matter what i tried the adapter would not connect to the router/internet. Baring in mind the simplicity of the installation on the vista pc I am inclined to say that although it states this is compatible with windows 7 that it is not fully compatible. Mine is windows 7 64 bit and it certainly would not work with it. It even froze up my entire pc at one point and I had to load up windows in safe mode and disable the adapter and uninstall the drivers in order to get my pc working again. I tried the drivers on the cd as well as the ones available for download on the website and this made no difference either.
My advice would be if you are running windows 7 64 bit, to avoid this and go for something else.

2.0 out of 5 stars Harware fine - software causes Windows 7 issue., 2 Mar 2014
Like the above says, the hardware works fine. However the TP link software that came with it causes me a nightmare. It kept causing any active window in windows 7 to become de-selected every 10-30 seconds. Of course, I did not know it was this software, so was being driven mad looking for answers for weeks. Eventually found a forum mentioning this problem, disabled the TP link SW at bootup in msconfg, and problem fixed. You don't need the SW, as windows will run the device anyway.

1.0 out of 5 stars This wifi adapter is terrible, 20 May 2013
It doesn't pick signal at all or in the rare cases when it does, not only has a terrible speed (due to packet's loss I would imagine) but also frequently disconnects within seconds... I would understand this if we were talking about a huge distance and lots of walls but it's only 6 meters away from the router with only one wall in-between... my laptop and phone get excellent signal, all five bars, but as I said this adapter doesn't pick it at all and when it does, is only 1 bar for a few seconds and then disconnects.
In order to make an experiment I used an old Linksys router I had and set it as repeater right next to the computer that has this adapter installed and while of course this improved the experience because the repeater is only a few inches away, the adapter still has a bad signal and has only 3 bars on the signal strength! A few inches away from the router...
I would never but a TP-Link product again.