on 5 April 2013
Not as good as The Innocent Traitor but a good insight into Lady Jane Grey. Coming from Leicestershire I have always been interested in her so wanted to know if another author saw a different side to her than Alison Weir
on 12 May 2013
This was a very enjoyable read and kept my interest throughout. We've heard the story of Lady Jane Grey many many times, but Katherine and Mary seem to have been generally ignored by general history. Katherine's story was very touching, and Mary was a genuinely very intriguing character. It felt like a different twist and and added to the sadness and tragedy of the Greys. My only quibble was the American spellings throughout which really annoyed me as this was so English!
on 17 March 2013
Wonderfully and very cleverly written book for all history lovers. Very difficult to put down even if it's so sad
on 12 June 2015
Four and a half stars because it kept me turning pages to the very end. The was a typo that made me smile. One that should be on every Phillipa Gregory fans "to read" list. Really good coverage of a neglected figure.
on 5 May 2013
I enjoy reading about the Tudor period and so was attracted to this book by it's title and not it's author as I had never heard of her. I found it a very interesting read. That was after I came to terms with the fact that the character of the Nine Day Queen of the book's title ceases to exist ( was beheaded, as we all know) halfway through the book. Unusual, I though to myself. What happens now? But what happened was much more interesting to this reviewer. I learned a great deal about Lady Jane Grey's two sisters - Katherine and Mary. I knew that Jane had sisters but absulutely nothing about them. This book filled in this gap for me, and made me realise that they were princesses of royal blood in their own right. Sadly they were not treated as such. Queen Elizabeth the First, in particular, had her reasons to fear them,as the book makes clear.

Ella March Chase has researched her subject well and written a readable version of events during that troublesome period of Tudor history. I shall look forward to reading her other book "The Virgin Queen's Daughter".
on 24 September 2015
I said in a review of another novel that there was a good book to be written about the Greys - and that one wasn't it. This one, on the other hand, was so much better. I'm somewhat fed up of the Tudors constantly being written about, so it was nice to find something about one of the more minor characters. Jane has always come across to me as an unappealing personality - although the treatment meted out to her obviously had a part to play in that. But I also think she was horribly used by men in power and perhaps didn't grasp what was happening. I think that is put across really well in this book. And her two sisters are intriguing characters and very rarely allowed to be a part of the story, so all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this look at history from a long-neglected angle.
on 5 May 2013
I was disappointed in the book,
Author usually tells a good story, but it took too long to get into story and I felt that I was re-reading previous chapters
on 15 September 2013
Explores the power politics and the personal relationships behind Mary Tudors court on a way which will draw the reader in. A thoroughly enjoyable read.
on 20 May 2016
This isn't a bad novel but it is obvious fiction. It's still a good enough read though. It's an easy enough read but not quiet for history buffs. If your willing to read it for what it is, historical FICTION, then it has enough to keep you reading to the end. I have read better though. I would like to think that the reader who is unfamiliar with this period in history might enjoy it enough to research the actual events of the time.
on 25 June 2015
Great read very interesting ln life of lady grey and how her life ended sadly couldn't put book down fab