5.0 out of 5 stars Go on, Just TRY to not compare it to Live At Leeds!
I've become quite slack with all things Who in the last few years, so when i first saw the pre-order for this i thought it was going to be disappointing, but knowing what we know about Live At Leeds and its relationship to Hull, it really isn't.

Published on 19 Nov 2012 by Nick

2.0 out of 5 stars Repeat of Live at Leeds
This is no different from Live at Leeds which is much better as is the Isle Of Wight Concert CD. Why bother releasing it at all? Suppose it increases the bank balance.
Published 12 months ago by John B

5.0 out of 5 stars Go on, Just TRY to not compare it to Live At Leeds!, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)

The first thing that strikes me about this set, is that it is IMPOSSIBLE to listen to it and not compare every second to the same moments of LAL. That classic album has had many permutations over the last 40 years, but in my opinion, the original 6 track version still kicks like a mule. I discovered it from a Kerrang 100 albums you must own list from about 1989/1990, and could. not. believe. it. when i first heard it. So LAH has a lot of listening history to live up to.

There is a lot less banter on LAH, whether this is by design or not i don't know, but it does detract a bit from the perceived intimacy of LAL. However, the other differences are striking. Moon's drumming is, unbelievably, even more incendiary on LAH. It could be the fact that the mix is slightly different, but he just seems to be on fire. The songs are punchier, and although timings are similar, they seem shorter and more direct. The singing isn't as good, but The Who live was never about perfection. It is fascinating to hear the differences in Townshend's playing, and the surprising lack of repetition between the two sets. The production also seems to ramp up The Ox's playing, and on Young Man Blues his bass growls like I've never heard before.

One minute complaint, the inside sleeve of the 2cd set has a photo of Leeds, from the rejected set that Chris McCourt did. Weird. Maybe there aren't any of Hull.

This is an essential set. Buy it. Turn it up. And for you experienced listeners, maybe feel a tiny bit of the excitement you felt the first time you heard Live At Leeds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leeds 2.0, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
It is interesting, when the same album is recorded twice; it's always the unreleased version that is perceived as the strongest & an over-sight by The Band/Record Company for making the wrong choice.
As is the case with "..Live from Hull" the sister of "Leeds", which has gained almost mythical status over the prevailing decades.
This is a great live album, but it's pretty similar to "Leeds", apart from songs like "A Quick one." "Young Man Blues" & "My Generation", which are slightly different.
You've probably you've got "Leeds" & "Isle of White" already, so unless you're a massive Orrible Who fan, this isn't an essential purchase.
Still, a outstanding & innovative record, with a decent sound quality.
Although I'd be a bit miffed if I'd forked out all that money for the "Leeds" box then found out I could buy this for a Tenner!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Recording - But The Fans Get Stitched Up Again, 6 Dec 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
Firstly, this recording is an absolute bargain for a tenner. Yes you can sit and play spot the difference with Live At Leeds, but just enjoy it for the excellent document that it is of a band that was laying the foundations for the arena tours to come. The first 3 tracks have had the bass guitar tracks replaced with those from Live At Leeds, which, through the wonders of Pro Tools, have been time stretched and adjusted to fit. There was little scope for any improvisation in those short opening warm-up songs so this is hardly a major issue. Also remember that the much revered Live At Leeds album was also tarted up after the event when Townshend and Entwistle had to re-record their backing vocals. So despite the patched up bass, it's a great document of the band at a key point in its career.

The stitch up comes in the form of the earlier release of this desirable recording only as a part of the limited edition super deluxe collector's Live At Leeds box set, which compelled the completist fan to pay through the nose for fancy packaging and yet another copy of Live At Leeds to finally get the Hull show. Now we have the Hull show available for a tenner. Rather than rip the fans off with any more similar cynical marketing ploys, I would rather that the next time the band is minded to release some more old rarities that they do so without making people buy duplicate copies of records that they have already got. Just put the stuff out on its own and honestly priced.

Previously they pulled a similar stroke after having an exclusive live album made available to subscribers to the band's website as an incentive to join up and then within a year they had put most of that material out on general release. Some might say that it's all down to the record company, but the band and its management have a determining say in what is released and how it is presented to the public.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Who live album, 19 Nov 2012
Sid Nuncius (London) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
Recorded the night after Live At Leeds, this is another great live performance - in fact not that different from its legendary predecessor. The mighty version of Magic Bus isn't repeated but the rest is - the great versions of Summertime Blues, Shakin' All Over and Young Man Blues especially. They're just as good, as is the rest. It's a proper live album rather than the modern, auto-tuned and otherwise airbrushed and adulterated stuff we're often served up. Daltrey produces some spine-tingling moments but also strains for some notes and suffers from some dodgy tuning sometimes (as do the backing vocals.) Towshend's guitar wanders out of tune sometimes, and there are some moments of near-shambles mixed in with some sheer brilliance. It's real music being played by real people and, warts and all, is a terrific reminder of what a superb guitarist Townshend is under the antics and destruction, and that Keith Moon may have been madder than an exceptionally mad person on National Mad Day, but behind a drumkit he was a unique genius.

Every Who fan will want this. Of course we will; as a self-respecting Who fan, I bought Live At Leeds when it came out and still have the vinyl album - bits and pieces and all - and then the expanded CD versions and I had to have this, too. I'm not sure that this adds anything to Live at Leeds, really, but - come on - we're going to buy a live album recorded the night after that historic concert no matter what. If you're a Who fan, you'll love it - but then, you already knew that.

(What follows is a personal reflection which you may not want to bother with. The thing is, although Live At Leeds a great live album - possibly the greatest in rock - I've not played it in the intervening 40-odd years nearly as much as Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia and the rest. There are some great moments but I often find with live albums that you really had to be there, and I wasn't - I was at home a few miles away studying for my O Levels. I saw The Who in concert only once (at Charlton Athletic's Valley ground in 1974, since you ask) and it was a stunning experience. Daltrey shone like a rebellious god with his golden curls, Townshend windmilled and leapt like a demon, Moon was...well, Keith Moon, and Entwhistle stood like a rock amid it all while I was among tens of thousands of people, all swept away by the music we loved being played just for us, right there and right then, by the men we so admired. Almost four decades on, I still remember it with a thrill. And that's the thing: a recording of it would probably be very good, but it wouldn't be the occasion, and that's what I find with live albums generally. I'm often glad to have heard them but don't go back to them that often. I suspect it will be like that with Live At Hull, too, but then - so what? I've got to have it so I know it's there in my collection.

Sorry - rambling over.)

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WHO AT THEIR PEAK ¡, 21 Nov 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
Finally, THE WHO restored and release LIVE AT HULL. Although i consider LIVE AT LEEDS to be superior, this is a very good performance; some songs sound better than LEEDS. Tecnically, the mix, particularly Roger Daltrey vocals, do sound a little low in the mix. MY GENERATION is quite different to LEEDS and MAGIC BUS is not included since the band did not played that night.

For WHO fans old and new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Live at Hull 1970, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
I almost regretted not buying the 4 cd version of Live At Leeds box set having already got the original LP , the expanded cd version and the deluxe cd version(not mentioning the boots of the performance), and was feeling pretty put upon by rich rock stars constantly re-jigging and re-hashing old records for enormous amounts of hard earned cash. So I didn't expect to get a legit copy of Live at Hull.
However, the release of the Hull show has vindicated my stance,I'm glad I waited and I have to say it is tremendous. Better than Leeds? I'm not sure about that but the recording does have a certain attack even with the overdubbed bass. Its the Who when they really were the best in the business, what's not to love, and releasaed at a sensible price so there's no excuse for even me not to have it now

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I waited., 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
Glad I waited for this to be released on its own (see boxed set price!!)again collectors only, but Im just happy the experts are releasing all the rare back catalogue stuff. Just hope there's some Charlton recordings to emerge?.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why so late?, 5 Jan 2013
JohnSpartan (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
I bought the original record "Live at Leeds" in June 1970, when only six songs were on it (Young Man Blues, Substitute, Summertime Blues, Shakin' all over, My Generation and Magic Bus). Middle of the 1990s a CD was published with 14 songs on it. Within the last more than 42 years I have heard "Live at Leeds" for at least 100 times and I have known each word, each noise etc. It has been my definitely most loved The Who record.

I can also remember, that short time after publishing several "experts" said, that this "LIVE" record was a fake. They said, that it was made in a studio and the producers only added some noises to let it appear as a kind of bootleg record. This was the time of turntables and typewriters; no internet, no google and really not many possiblities to find out the truth.

In the meantime I have bought all "Anniversary" versions and still love this record.

But when I got notice of "Live at Hull". I bought it at once and since then heard it in my car for at least 20 times. There are a few differences between the two records, but I can absolutely not decide, which I love more. Both records are really great and an absolute "MUST" for a Who's fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
If you are of a certain age you might recall that by the early 70s there were only two rock bands that were seen by fans and critics alike to be unassailable on the live stage (on a good night): Led Zeppelin and of course, The Who. Unlike Led Zep (who finally nailed it with 'How the West was Won') The Who managed at the time to document possibly their zenith in live performances circa '69, '70 with arguably the greatest live rock album 'Live at Leeds':a brutal slab of testosterone that cranked Townsend's opus 'Tommy' plus a smattering of hits and choice covers to number 11 and beyond, capturing four musicians at the very top of their game, instinctively anticipating each other's next move to create a glorious cacophony which still sounds irresistible and thrilling 40 odd years later.
'Live at Hull' does absolutely nothing to dilute or dispel The Who's claim to be the greatest live band of all time. Instead it scaffolds the legend simply by raising the hairs on the neck and enabling the listener to grin and leap around the kitchen like an idiot, clutching an imaginary Gibson SG (which has seconds to live) before ceremoniously smashing it into the cooker. It sounds fresh and exciting and different enough to 'Leeds' for a Who fan and offers the gorgeous prospect of hearing them twice at their peak. This is not just a rerun of 'Live at Leeds'. 'Hull' was to be the band's first choice for a live record had not Entwistle's bass been missing on a few tracks on playback. It not only stands up to scrutiny by those of us who have too much time on our hands and own too many bootleg recordings, it delivers because it confirms that 'Live at Leeds' was only one great night in God knows how many in the band's history, and witnessing or hearing one is not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE WHO - LIVE AT HULL, 15 Dec 2012
Mr. Stephen Samuel "Stevie S" (Yorkshire - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live At Hull (Audio CD)
The classic WHO concert, recorded live in HULL CITY HALL in the same week that the other LIVE ALBUM was recorded. In my opinion, this was a much better concert, and I am pleased that following THE WHO''s recent KC STADIUM concert in HULL, where Pete corroborated this belief, they have eventually been able to issue it. BUY AND ENJOY!

Live At Hull