5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 3 Dec 2012
My son received a copy of this book post publication because he was a test reader and thoroughly loved it. He especially liked the creativity and imagination (his words not mine!) and enjoyed the talking crab character.

He can't wait for the next one to come out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to put down! (By Molly - 10), 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Realand (The Portal Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
It was a amazing book,I loved the beginning and found it really hard to put down it was so exciting I read it in two sessions.
LOVED IT!!!I cant wait for the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars When's the next one out...?, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Realand (The Portal Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this. It reminded me a little of sort of a Phillip Pullman type story, but for younger readers. I also really enjoyed the prequel 'Perfectly formed' at the beginning of the book. I thought that it built up all the intrigue of what was to come and set the scene beautifully.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Prequel, 28 Nov 2012
This review is from: Realand (The Portal Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Well your son T-J was right ,What happened next?' I am intrigued. You have certainly set the scene for what is to come. I can't wait to receive my hard copy so I can find out and share it with my young friend Abigail(aged7).

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth a download, 25 April 2013
It's been a long while since I last read a children's book, and this was a real page-turner. I'd have lapped it up even more as a child, as well as wanting my very own Oscar (I still would, actually). The son of a friend of mine seems to regard reading as a punishment but this is just the sort of thing that would - should - spark his imagination. Bring on a visit to Raffie Island later this year!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fantasy story for 7 yr olds, 12 April 2013
ladywebslinger (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a review of Realland from my 9 yr old daughter (I've corrected spelling !):

Realand is a really good book to read if you like adventures stories. I liked the brother and sister who fight like me and my brother but who have to get along well in the end...

MOTHER'S NOTE.
My daughter enjoyed this book but I think she would have enjoyed it more at age 7 or 8, now she is 9 she's reading more complex fantasy stuff on her own. That said, there is much to admire here: good relationships between the characters make it realistic, which balances nicely with the fun fantasy elements. 4 stars from us!

5.0 out of 5 stars WOOOOWWWWWW, 18 Feb 2013
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT ???? Loved it. Can not wait for the next one. I bought this as a gift for my daughter at christmas who stated it was her "Best Present" We did fight over it for a while then took turns to read together. I am slightly older than the auidence it was inteneded for but wow took me back to being a child. Love the way its written my imagination ran wild.
AWESOME thank you :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up from my daughter!, 5 Feb 2013
This review is from: Realand (The Portal Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
My daughter (aged 9) recently devoured Realand (Book One: The Portal Series) by Dee Kirkby. I asked her to explain why she loved the book so much (and took it into school to tell all of her friends about it) and she said that she loved when Craig met Santa, that an elf made Oscar and she loved the cool pencil drawings. But the thing that made me smile when I was talking to her about the book was that she said she 'CAN'T WAIT' (in a very excited voice) to read what happens in the next book of the series. That, I believe, is the comment that any writer would long to hear. Well done Dee!

4.0 out of 5 stars Escape into your imagination, 6 Jan 2013
Jo D'Arcy (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Realand (The Portal Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Being slightly older than the intended audience of this book, I have probably approached it in a different manner to your average 7 year old. However, I was immediately drawn back to a childhood where imagination runs wild and the impossible is in fact possible.

Opening with Craig meeting a rather well known but mysterious figure, he is given a toy which he has to give to Max and Laura, who live down his street. The only dilemma; Max and Laura have yet to be born.

Years later, the toy has now its rightful owners and Max and Laura are going through some of their dads old broken things and making up adventures. Adventures that suddenly become reality and Max and Laura are in the thick of it.

This short story is great for children to be read to or those who are progressing into reading on their own. It reminded me of childhood books like The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, especially the Wardrobe bit! As well as the wonderful lands that could be found at the top of The Faraway Tree. And I cannot wait to find out what happens next and I don't mind admitting it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great children's book!!, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Realand (The Portal Series Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
This is a great start to the Portal series by Dee Kirkby. It is a short chapter book that would be great for any kid or reader alike. It's filled with magic and whimsy but also has positive messages for the reader. This book definitely gets your imagination flowing easily, because the writers descriptions are so detailed.
I can't wait to read more books in the series and learn more about Max and Laura. I also want to hear Craig's story. And obviously learn everything about Realand!
Just by reading this story, I can tell that there will be many more adventures to come and I can't wait to follow along.

Realand (The Portal Series Book 1)