5.0 out of 5 stars Forget your preconceptions...
I don't review often on Amazon, but I had to make some comment on this book - because I think there's every chance a superb novel will get overlooked because of who its author is...
I confess, my hopes weren't high either (it was an impulse purchase as part of one of my regular book-splurges). A book by a guy from the great American pantomime of professional...
Published on 30 Aug. 2004 by Stuart Bishop

2.0 out of 5 stars Starts well but ultimately very disappointing.
Being a fan of Mick Foley and having read all four of Mick Foley's excellent autobiographies, I had no doubts at all about purchasing this book (kindle addition), but having just finished reading it I really wish I hadn't bothered. Strange as it may seem based on my first sentence, I actually really enjoyed the first three quarters or so of the book, but the final...
Published 1 month ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, but superb nontheless, 12 Feb. 2014
Gary Coupe (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I'm not really much of a reader of fiction, and usually prefer autobiographical works, which is how I came upon the title of this book.

Having read all four autobiographical volumes by Mick Foley, I was curious enough about the references to 'Tietam Brown' to warrant my reading of a few reviews, and having spotted it for a reasonable price on the Kindle store, decided to give it a try.

Anyone who has read his 'wrestling books' will recognise the style immediately, especially the humour, and it is obvious that Foley has drawn on several references from his own life in terms the places mentioned in the story. Andy Browns character seems to reflect some of Foley's own growing pains through adolescence too. There is certainly enough that will be familiar for those wrestling fans who are interested in Foley's debut novel.

Whilst some have called the characters shallow, I think this is more to do with how quickly the story 'gets into its stride' - it is remarkably easy to understand why each character does what they do. The plot requires the use of your memory in parts, with the narrative switching from past to present, but doing this seems apt, and gives the feeling that you are listening to the memoirs of Andy, rather than simply being told about him and his life so far.

There are parts of the book which are shocking, and even quite dark in places, but there are also moments of humour and hope. The sexual 'scenes', whilst funny and somewhat disturbing in equal measure, are quite explicit though, and some tough themes are dealt with.

I read the book in the course of one night, over two reading sessions. Having read the first few chapters, I found myself wondering what was going to happen, sharing the hopes of Andy, and a growing impatience at having had to put down my Kindle to charge the battery.

I would recommend that anybody at least give this book a try - there is certainly no reason not to read the sample chapter. Be prepared for some parts that are difficult to read (in terms of the issues and situations dealt with, not because of poor writing) and the odd, unpleasant twist along the way. I expect the vast majority will not be disappointed when they have finished the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A wrestler who can write...........well I'll be damned, 7 Aug. 2004
Piero (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I have actually only read about 100 pages of this book, but I am enjoying it so much I had to offer my thoughts so far.
On a wave of enbthusiasm for the book I went trawling through the morass that is the Web today, to see if there were any more books by this Foley character. And what do I discover, but he's a (semi?)retired wrestler.
I have always bagged wrestling as a childish, over-choreographed farce fit only for the amusement of mad people, but I will have to reassess my opinion - at least of the participants. Jesse Ventura may be a Governor, but then look at Arnie.....
I digress - this book is great. I have been given a few hints via other online reviews of how dark this tale becomes, but the humour has had me laughing my way though train journeys and gleefully reading excerpts to my work colleagues. His characters are vivid and lifelike, and his portait of the long suffering, but wry and intelligent Antietam/Andy is moving, insightful and all too real; you can almost see him sitting next to you exposing his innermost thoughts as you read.
I can only hope that Mr. Foley gives wrestling away altogether to write more novels. His style is confident and assured, and for a first novel undeniably impressive. I have to sheepishly admit that I am reminded of the 14 year old hero of Vernon God Little, though we shouldn't be handing any Bookers to Mick yet.
Bravo, and keep on writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Masterpiece, 19 July 2003
Mr. I. Hazeldine (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
Having read Mick Foley's biography I was keen to find out how his writing skills would hold up in his first novel. All I can say is that this man is very very gifted. I picked up the book this morning and could not put it down. Having read it all in a single day I can honestly say that I have never read such a touching, powerful and at times downright funny story in all my life. I urge everyone to read Andy Brown's tale - you will not be disappointed. I can't wait for Mick's next literary masterpiece. Absolute class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book by an unlikely source., 14 Aug. 2003
Phoenix (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
If you've ever seen Mick in the ring, you would never expect him to put out such brilliance. This book hooked me only pages in, and would not let me go. The story about Andy Brown is so touching, to realistic, you may very well forget it's only a book. From cover to cover, it is a tale of love, sadness, fear, anger, and forgiveness. If you enjoy a good tear-jerker, as most do, then this is a must-read. I'd say "I couldn't put it down" but that does not do it justice. I'm very much hoping, no, PRAYING for a sequel.

2.0 out of 5 stars Lumpy and unconvincing, 9 July 2013
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
I found the premise of this book interesting an although it was in no way boring (there were certainly enough statement events in the plot to keep you interested) I just couldn't enjoy this clumpy book.
There was a lot of violence which seemed to serve no purpose and had what I felt to be totally unrealistic outcomes, which made a lot of the plot very unbelievable.
The characters often seemed to have no explanation for their behaviour and reacted to things in non believable crazy ways which to me made no sense.
Actually I would say most of the characters were under formed, 2 dimensional and weird.
It felt like the author just had a list of things he wanted to include in his book,and decided to stick them all together in a long rambling row regardless of how they fit together.
The sexual encounters were embarrassing and the way women were portrayed was pretty sad.
I have passed it on to a friend though just to see if I am the only one to think this, as its got quite good reviews on Amazon. Which is puzzling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Teitam Brown made me Cry, 27 July 2003
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
Well this is not easy for read blooded male to say but this book moved me. I did actually cry whilst reading it, and I am reading it again to make sure I didn't miss anything. Mick Foley is a Wonderful Author Who can use Humour in even the Darkest of Story lines. I was not sure what this book was going to be like, His Autobiographical books where fantastic, but could he make the transition into Novel writing. The overwhelming answer is YES. This book tells the Story of ANTIETAM BROWN IV A.K.A. ANDY,who's his childhood will make anyone seem privilaged, Mick uses Terms and expressions that readers of his first two books will apreaciate.
Tietem Brown is not unlike Mick himself even down to the Missing Ear and some of this novel is pure Foley.
This book will make you Laugh, Sick in the stomach, Laugh, Proud,laugh, Cry and Laugh.
'Foley Is Good' and this Book Proves it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Foley's first novel is Good, 27 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Paperback)
Well done to Mick Foley on making his first novel, seem like his 10th. This is a story that will lift you up and drop you, just as fast. For the main character, Antietam Brown V, things either go reasonably right or horribley wrong. You will find it hard to put this book down as you learn of his father and his sick and bizarre habits. You will be as enthusiastic as Antietam as he unravels the past and learns the truth about his parents. You will root for him against the bullying football coach and his steriod pumped team. Ultimately, you will care what happens in this story and maybe, shed a tear at the end.
Like I said, it's hard to believe this is a first novel, Foley makes it seem like it was his full time career forever, never mind his hugely successful wrestling career.

5.0 out of 5 stars A NEW FACE TO MICK FOLEY ( AND A GOOD ONE AT THAT!), 22 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
This book reveals to all that wrestlers do have brains and that Mick foley has the potential to be one of the greatest novelists to date. this book is a must read for any book fan , not just wrestling fans. It is a dark book about a boys life and to be honest it very emotional. but Mick foleys humer and wit is apperrent through out with a few wrestling mentions. I do not want to give away to much of this book as it will ruin it for many but i guarentee you this is one hard hitting book that you will not be able to put down once you start (beleive me i tried!)Go ahead and read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is Great!, 21 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
Absoultely amazing first novel by Mick Foley. As a fan of both wrestling and Mick, I got this book for Christmas, and had it read by 1 am Boxing Day morning. It is an emotional rollercoaster, taking the reader through many twists and turns, and bringing many false endings in before it is through. And for those that are interested in wrestling, there are even a few knowing references, such as JR, the cowboy hat wearing owner of a restaurant. Excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Foley really is a god!, 7 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Tietam Brown (Hardcover)
As stated by many others, I too was very eager to witness Foley's transition from autobiographer to novelist. And what a transition it was!
Throughtout 'Tietam Brown', Foley takes the reader on a journey of their emotions as the protagonist, Andy, developes his first true relationships. Unfortuantely, as with life, the conclusion is not particularly happy although a glimmer of hope shines through.
Awesome!