5.0 out of 5 stars Deceived Wisdom
Having first read the Extended Sampler, I now have in my possession the hardback copy of 'Deceived Wisdom' by David Bradley, Science Writer, and it certainly lives up to its description. To both scientists and non-scientists alike, it demystifies those old wives' tales and urban myths, as described, in a scientific and logical manner. Being of retirement age, I...
Published 20 months ago by robertthechemist

3.0 out of 5 stars Good and straightforward debunking of myths
I enjoyed this book, but it's not very long!
Easy to read though, and I would recommend it to put to rest some popular legends!
Published 17 months ago by JCGolding

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Deceived Wisdom: Why What You Thought Was Right Is Wrong (Kindle Edition)
This makes a good 'coffee table book' i.e. it is a book you can dip in and out off as the sections are small enough to read in small chunks. The information is interesting, informative but not too technical. A ggod book overall

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy but interesting read, 22 Feb 2013
This book was a lightweight but interesting read. Some of the 'wrongs' will surprise you.
I didn't realise how ignorant I was! I am wondering how many other things that I thought were
right are actually wrong.

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 21 Feb 2013
Graham Kendall (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is interesting, as my title indicates, but at times a little plodding. The shorter the section the more entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really liked this book, 16 Feb 2013
Really enjoyed this book which I might read again. Amazing amount of BS around these days when there is so much knowledge available with a click

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe the hype, 31 Jan 2013
Unfortunately Mr. Bradley misses the science behinds some of the effects he wishes to dismiss. He therefore sets up flawed explanations - a string of proverbial straw men - only to knock them down. In the process, he only shows that his scientific understanding is limited. Remember, the 'old wives' don't offer any explanations of their 'tales' they just state experience: the flawed explanations in this book are provided by Mr. Bradley, hence the title of this book is appropriate to its content so I give it its first star for irony. The book also manages to deceive some credulous readers who might prefer to let someone else think for them and I therefore award it a second star for demonstrating how easily we can be outwitted by scientific pretence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Mar 2013
S. G. Gibson (UK) - See all my reviews
Don't bother........... Glad I didn't pay full price.... merely states the obvious in most cases, and some facts are wrong!

1.0 out of 5 stars by page 46 I've learnt nothing so i give up, 1 Feb 2013
Gordon Frank (Cyprus) - See all my reviews
I always end up regretting buying this kind of book but --- oh well I've fallen for it again!

From the book description and reviews I expected to find interesting refutations of old wives tales etc. (and I do remember the old one about taking off your coat inside the house or you "won't feel the benefit" when you go out again, which I always thought silly anyway). Instead I find mostly refutations of things that nobody with the slightest inkling of scientific knowledge would believe. I read 46 pages and have given it up as useless. Silly me for buying it in the first place. At least it was a kindle daily deal so I only wasted 99p on it!

5.0 out of 5 stars No longer Deceived, 21 Nov 2012
Michael (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
First impression, not a 'Paperback' but a well presented book.
Not yet fully absorbed, a bit of selective pick and mix using the Index as a guide. However it seems well suited to this and can be used to collect a few words of wisdom which may be used to encourage conversation at parties, there is always a 'know it all' to be baited.
Excellent as a stocking filler for Christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as clever as the writer believes, 4 Mar 2013
Some of the wisdom is pretty much common knowledge.

Also seemed to repeat the fact at the end of each article. Space filling?

I preferred QI books instead.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›