5.0 out of 5 stars Great Keyboard!
Buying a new keyboard was a hard task, especially with the many different options available. I figured that I would want a keyboard for life, or at least for a sufficient amount of time without having to upgrade due to a faulty key or snagged cable. This, being the main reason, was the sole reason for choosing a mechanical keyboard.

So the Razer Blackwidow...
Published on 1 Jan. 2013 by Liam

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard but be warned...
Published 17 months ago by Matthew Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic keyboard but be warned..., 7 Feb. 2014
Matthew Webb (London, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Elite Mechanical Keyboard (Accessory)
Everything good you read about this keyboard is true, the only caveat I make is having to re-train your mussel memory. The extra macro keys on the left in my opinion are in the wrong place and my hand naturally moves to the left and presses the wrong key. I am having trouble adjusting to the new position and keep pressing caps lock and also very slow to place my hand. Personally I would recommend looking very seriously at other mech keyboards that don't have additional keys to the left. I am now looking to purchase CM Storms Ultimate mech when it arrives in UK layout since I really don't care for the macro keys.

EDIT : I just bought a Ducky Shine 3 Green LED, MX Blue and it is amazing beyond belief. If you can afford the Razor then spend a little bit more and get a Ducky... AND you can choose your LED colour (5 I think) and you can choose from 3 switch types AND it has a load of lighting options and you get red WASD keys as well and a spare spacebar with alternative ducky logo if you don't like the snake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Keyboard!, 1 Jan. 2013

So the Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013 appeared within my quest for a keyboard; admittedly, the price at the time was nearer to £120 when I did a little research behind it and made my comparisons with other mechanical backlit keyboards (such as the Corsair CH-9000003-UK Vengeance K90 and the Qpad MK-80 Pro Gaming Back-lit Mechanical Keyboard). After a vast amount of time (as £120 is by no means cheap) I plucked the courage and bought the Blackwidow.

The keyboard arrived a couple of days after Christmas, all wrapped and parcelled nicely within a cushioned box. Inside lay the Razer Blackwidow, nicely packaged in the traditional Razer fashion (the brightest green interior you can imagine). Enclosed with the Blackwidow itself were a certificate proving authenticity, 2 Razer Stickers, a quick start manual and some more in-depth manuals providing the high-tech specifications. The keyboard itself has one braided cable, which is strongly fixed into the main body. Anyone who is clumsy, or as in my case has a million cables around their computer can sleep easy knowing that this thing will not be broken with snagging. The braided cable is long, breaking off into four points towards the end. These are 2 Gold plated USB's (one is for the keyboard port and one is for the pass-through which allows use of the USB which is on the right hand side), 1 Gold plated 2.5mm Audio Jack and 1 Gold plated 2.5mm Microphone Jack, which also seem to be of good quality so far. After plugging my keyboard in, using all the provided cables, I plugged my microphone and headset into the right and side of the keyboard and downloaded the Razer Synapses 2.0 software from their website. The keyboard itself was a joy to set up, no messing around and no confusing software, just simple plug download and go. I should say however that I have yet to use the five customisable macro keys down the far left hand side of the keyboard, so this should be something I should attempt, however it doesn't look hard to customise them from what I have seen.

Anyway, let's talk about the keyboard itself, what does it look like? Well, Razer has gone for the matte finish on the 2013 model... thank the lord! The 2012 model by all means was a fingerprint magnet, so I can only smile at this choice. The keyboard is heavy, 1.5kg in-fact, so this for me is also a positive aspect as you know it isn't going to slide around when you are gaming. To be quite honest, the build quality alone justifies its weight as it is constructed of a combination of metal and plastic.

So what does the Ultimate version offer over the Standard Razer Blackwidow? Well, to answer your question... lights! Big green lights everywhere! The back-lighting is the extra addition that gives the ultimate its name. Now £30 for back-lighting is expensive, this we all know, but regardless of the fact that I am going to try justify this a bit with some things I pondered about when making comparisons between the two. This keyboard, personally, was intended to last me a long time, so back-lighting was a little touch that I could afford and thought necessary for times where lighting is next to nothing. After all these years using keyboards, I am ashamed to say that I still find it difficult to navigate around the keyboard with little light, so again, this made my decision a little easier. To add to this, it looks great, the green back-lighting looks amazing when set to the maximum setting (which I think is of ten levels). A final thing I will add which influenced my choice towards the ultimate was the laser etching. As each key is individually backlit (besides the function key), there is no chance of the lettering rubbing off, so again this swayed my decision also.

The Blackwidow and the Blackwidow Ultimate both use Cherry MX Blue switches, which are renowned for the 'chunk' or 'clicking' sound that you can hear when pressing below the actuation point. This again, I love. The sound is great, you really know when you have pressed a key... this may sound silly and slightly obvious, but I read many of times about the feeling of typing on a mechanical keyboard which use these switches and all I can say is they were right. I can say however, if you have a family member who is a light sleeper, consider this as they really are loud, there is no exaggeration here... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED LADIES AND GENTS! The final thing I will add is the gaming mode, which enables you to customise which keys are unavailable whilst in it. As many gamers who read this may know, that windows key feels like it becomes ten times its original size when gaming, so it is a relief to know I can programme it to switch off.

So it seems like there are a lot of pro's, and after thinking hard I think it is safe to say that I can only think of one slight little niggle. There is a little play with the larger keys such as the enter (UK version) and the space bar, meaning it does wobble slightly when you try to. This doesn't bother myself, however, I know it may really annoy others out there so I thought it would be worth a mention.

All in all, I really do like the keyboard, Razer have definitely provided a nice and solid mechanical keyboard that I know will last me a long time. For some, it may not be necessary to spend the £30 to get the back-lighting, but I do like it, I guess it is preference. Razer have provided a lot of good products to the market, I myself have a Razer Deathadder so I guess this also lead me into buying the Blackwidow over other keyboards. Definitely something I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for typing, 9 May 2013
I wasn't sure that a mechanical keyboard was really all that superior to a normal one, but having received this as a birthday present I am totally convinced. Typing on this keyboard is quicker, more precise and far more enjoyable with great tactile and audible feedback. If you type much at all, a keyboard like this is an absolute joy to use. I don't play games much so cannot comment on that aspect but for typing this is so much more satisfying.

The illumination is fine - only the one colour (green) but you can adjust the brightness.

Things to note:
- The keyboard is HEAVY and does not slide easily, so you won't be flipping between having the keyboard out and papers on your desk.
- No dedicated media keys (you use Function button and F Keys), though to be fair, this does save space and you can always program the macro keys for these tasks.
- Only one USB slot in the keyboard - two (or more) would have been nice - but still useful for thumb drives.

So why only four stars when the typing action is so amazing? The software set up was terrible (I'm using fully patched Windows 7). Installs, uninstalls, updates, reboots and constantly getting messages from the configurator that I did not have the keyboard attached. After an evening of messing around I finally got the software and keyboard talking to each other. For such a premium product the software install process should be seamless.

In summary an amazing physical product but the software installation process needs some serious work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Razer Blackwidow 2013, 14 Dec. 2013
This keyboard is the Best in my opinion. I personally like the cherry mx blue mechanical switches for gaming and typing. It has nice tactile feedback a which is a precise *Click* when a key is pressed fully I like it because I know when I have pressed a key fully and don't accidentally miss it and consequence losing my game. The keys are nicely laid out, and I really like how Razer has changed the coating from glossy to matte so there are no finger prints or smudges. I also like the green backlighting which is very BRIGHT on max. I do how ever drive my family INSANE with the loud clicking of the keys but If I shut my door then they can't hear it very well, so if you don't want to have a loud clicking noise but want this keyboard I would suggest that you get the stealth version of this which isn't sold on amazon. Although I have heard that The stealth version doesn't have a tactile feedback. This keyboard is very solidly constructed and as always Razer packaging is GREAT i swear customers must be paying £10 for it. This is my first gaming keyboard and I would say that I am never buying anything not Razer again they are truly AMAZING! If I could rate it higher I would but I can't.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Product, 25 Jun. 2013
The Razer Blackwidow 2013 is not my first mechanical keyboard, however it is the best one I have used so far.

The pros include:
-Really good backlight (the green panel behind the keys helps to enchancee the backlight). You can adjust how bright you wsnt it to be, so should fit everyones expectations
-Good to write on. You will definitely see your typing speed improve if you have never used a mechanical keyboard.
-Great build quality, therefore I expect it to last for a long time.
- Cherry MX Blue switches, which are the best ones to have in a mechanical keyboard in my opinion (if you want to game on it)
And many more...
As for cons there is a few :
-First if all if you live with your parents and need to be quiet, THIS IS NOT A KEYBOARD FOR YOU, because the switches are really loud. Afterall the cherry MX Blue switches do have this characteristic.
- Another con that can be named with this keyboard is the placement of the macro keys. You will find yourself confused in the first few days because when trying to reach Ctrl, or Shift you will press the macro keys.

Overall I think that the Razer BlackWidow 2013 is a keyboard worth looking at when you are trying to find a good gaming mechanical keyboard.
Highly reccomend to all of the people being stuck which keyboard to choose. May seem expensive, but believe me its worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keyboard Perfection!, 15 Mar. 2013
As a computer technician and a gamer... I go use ohh so many keyboards in my days. I got my Blackwidow not too long ago and the first thing I realised... It has some real good weight to it. It feels strong and well made. They key switches were a lot louder then what I originally thought they would be, of which I really don't care about I find the sound highly satisfying! The instant I plugged the Keyboard and turned the backlighting up to full, I was just in love with the glow! It's so bright and vibrant. Overall;
+ Fast to Type on
+ Incredibly high quality build
+ Lovely 20 ish levels of intensity on the backlight
+ 5 Dedicated macro switches.
Basically everything is lovely and I can't fault it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super keyboard, with one big issue., 3 Nov. 2013
The ultimate in mechanical switch keyboard, with one big issue (for right handed people).
Pro:
+ The best keyboard i ever had.
+ the five macro keys
+ LED back-lighting for each key (choose different levels)
+ the ability to shut off each individual key.
Con:
- the clicks make a nice (loud) sound.

The big issue with this keyboard is that is has on the right(hand) side the connector for the usb and the audio out and the mic in, but that's area where the razer mouse lives!
Or did i miss somewhere the razer black widdow for tight hand people :-)
So to overcome this issue i bought a external Creative Sound Blaster USB Premium HD Soundcard :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Gaming Keyboard, 19 Sept. 2014
Mr. J. Daly (Surrey) - See all my reviews
So this keyboard was the final decision after a good few months of searching for a decent mechanical keyboard. Look no further is all I can say really.

Packaging - standard Razer box, glossy and generally looked amazing. The keyboard itself is nestled in a cardboard shell to protect it from drops, and the wires took a bit of wiggling to remove from the box.

The keyboard: It's heavy. Solid. It has a satisfying click when you type (think of a typewriter). As other people have said, you won't be wanting to use this if you're trying to be quiet as it's very discernable, but if you're like me when gaming the sound of the keys isn't so much noise compared to your cursing when you get shamefully defeated. The keys are backlit and you can control their lighting level using the programme that gets installed when you download the drivers (the lights were very bright when I first plugged it in, so I've dialled it down to the lowest lighting and it's still easy to see). This same programme also controls the macro buttons, although I have yet to use these. There is also a USB port on the right side of the keyboard so you don't lose a USB space for plugging in, and you can also plus a mic and headset in using the two ports in the keyboard. I left these unplugged as I have a separate set of speakers for my PC and a USB communications headset, but it's there if you want it.

Finally, for general typing it's a really nice keyboard to use. The buttons are slightly tilted so your fingers fall on them naturally and it only took me a few days use to get back into my touch typing habits again. The macro buttons are on the left side of the keyboard and they did throw me a little bit (used to tapping the ctrl and shift buttons but ended up pressing macros instead - luckily they're not programmed yet. The keyboard also has an awesome feature for gaming mode which disables the Windows key which is fantastic (how frustrating is it when you press windows instead of ctrl -.- ).

Summary: a good, sturdy keyboard with a very premium feel to it. Quite loud for typing, but that's a minor consideration compared to how nice it is to game on.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great keyboard, 27 Jun. 2014
This keyboard will fit in with your Razer set-up perfectly and the Cherry mx blue key switches are not for me. I found that after a year the switches have gotten a bit to clacky for me and the pressure need to activate the keys has gone down quite a bit. This has lead me to not liking the clackyness of a keyboard anymore I am thinking about going for a keyboard with some kerry mx red switches (the cherry mx red switches are the best for gaming) The cherry mx reds will also be better for typing as they allow for a faster key press. Over all the custom ability of the keyboard is great being able to change the key to be what you want really makes you feel free with the software but the software it's self is quite buggy and still has a-lot of work to go through before it will be decent .
Pros: If you really want a clacky keyboard be my guest but be my guest. The custom ability of the keyboard is great for everything. The keyboard is great for people who are going to be doing games that don't require a-lot of typing because the typing is not great.

Cons: The clackyness that I loved on the keyboard when i first gotten is now gone i was very disappointed when the clackyness had become to claccky and the key press wasn't nice anymore. The key press was nice when i first got it but after about 5-6 months of constant use I could feel the key press starting to change (I do type more than most on my keyboard). The cherry mx blues are a mistake for this keyboard as so many razer fans will buy the keyboard. The typing on this keyboard again was good to start with but when the clackyness changed it went downhill and it was no longer a pleasure to type on. Don't get me wrong it was a great keyboard to begin with but they need to fix the mechanical key wear out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Keyboard Excellent Feel, 14 May 2014
This is only slightly cheaper then the 2014 Ultimate version but not hearing much on the new Razer Switches (which at the time of writing the review sound maybe even better then the Blues) I decided to go with the blues. My friend had said he preferred blues but reds sped up his reaction times. I don't personally feel I need much better keyboard reaction times via hardware (more skill then hardware now) so felt that the slightly better feeling blues was the better choice. I now despise Membrane keyboards. I work with one and the difference is like rubbing your face with coarse sand with nails hammered into it, whilst the blues are like stroking your face with newly bought lace, whilst my friends reds are like newly bought cloth. Both improvements but the blues are far better.

The keyboard isn't perfect I mean the Macros feel like they are part of the main section of the keyboard and I sometimes press M4 for shift and M5 for ctrl. This is minor and you will adjust. Old time Membrane users beware that this is a huge difference which will take a while to adjust for. But once you have adjusted this will feel 999999x better. Also as previously stated this is a LOUD keyboard. I can heard it though my headphones on loud. Everyone shouts at me on TeamSpeak for the stupidly loud click. If you use a tabletop mic (I use the Samson GoMic) people will hear you, alot. This is probably 2x as loud as my friends reds on TeamSpeak and he has a blue snowball. If that matters you should avoid as it is pretty damn loud. But again you will adjust.