4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting electric album by one half of The Civil Wars, 5 Nov 2011
Mr. Paul Martin West (Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Goodbye (MP3 Download)
John Paul White is one half of the fantastic duo, the Civil Wars, with Joy Williams. This album couldn't be further from the stripped down 'alternative folk/Americana' of Barton Hollow and reminds me of Muse.
At times, haunting, melancholic, powerful and moody, this record exhudes class. Excellent playing, strong melodies and interesting lyrics make this a real joy to listen to.
Some real slow burners on here, but stand out track is 'Come Over', which is immense.
Give it a go, you won't be diappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 23 Sep 2013
Colin Molloy (Liverpool, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Goodbye (Audio CD)
A really great album, I bought this because I am a fan of The Civil Wars and I wasn't disappointed. Some songs took a few listens to grow on me but after that I was hooked.

I am still dreading the announcement that The Civil Wars are done as a duo but if John Paul puts out more music of this quality it will at least lessen the blow

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Long Goodbye (Audio CD)
Now known for The Civil Wars and some songwriting credits in Nashville, JPW's earlier album shines with quality songwriting and singing. More rock than country, easily accessible; a really good album

4.0 out of 5 stars Deep, 12 April 2012
This review is from: The Long Goodbye (MP3 Download)
I really like this album. Like the other reviewer, I found this very interesting. The song "Neon" does remind me of Muse. My favorite was "This Life." I cannot get it out of my head. I think what is so good about this album is that it is eclectic and original. You will not be disappointed.

The Long Goodbye
The Long Goodbye by John Paul White (Audio CD - 2013)