Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.48

on 5 November 2012
This is a collection of articles from the Times almost entirely written by David Walsh chronicling the Tour de France from a little after the Festina scandal of 1998, through Lance Armstrong's domination.

Nothing new to see, yes?

Well, yes and no. Reading the articles back in the context of Armstrong's shaming following the USADA report and the stripping of his titles shows what a courageous work of journalism this is. As such, what you may have read before feels fresh.

Way back in 1999, Walsh was pointing out that Armstrong was going faster than the entire Festina team who had just been done for doping. Despite the bullying and the decision to ignore the story by much of the rest of the media, Walsh continues to investigate.

I'm sure a far more thorough book will be on the way at some point - but, for now, this is complete as you're likely to get. For the price, it's a terrific collection of journalism that reads even better now that most people will accept that Walsh was right. Credit too to the Times for allowing its journalists to pursue the story.

As a final note, the Times have done a good job in creating the ebook too, with each section well laid out and easy to find. This is something that isn't always true when newspapers try to create these things.
on 21 November 2012
A brilliant compilation of articles written over the years steadfastly exposing Armstrong as the cheat he was whilst all those other journos around David Walsh denigrated and belittled him. I just wish Armstrong himself would hold his hands up acknowledge the truth. An excellent read to be recommended.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 November 2012
This publication doesn't mark the culmination of David Walsh's fight since 1999 to expose the drug cheats in road cycling but it is a sign that hopefully we are entering the last lap. It will take change at the top of the UCI before Walsh is fully vindicated and no doubt a properly edited and rounded book will follow but in the meantime this collection of journalism, predominantly but not exclusively by Walsh, keeps the pot bubbling nicely and reminds us all of the depth of feeling and sheer never say die spirit these guys have brought to the proceedings. Of course this is by necessity a brief summary of what has been said and written before and this is reflected in the price so technically there is nothing new here but it is very useful to read back over what has been a consistent and provocative campaign. It is worthy of note that Walsh does not take all the credit for himself and especially in the early days gives due kudos to a number of French journalists who dared to speak out against the wishes of the press pack. Brilliant stuff!
on 29 January 2013
I greatly admire David Walsh's prolonged and principled campaign to raise the questions about Armstrong that needed raising, and have since been answered. However, as a collection of newspaper articles over a period of years, this does not make great reading, being by necessity both repetitive and only as deep as newsprint allows. I don't begrudge Walsh a few quid for the book, but I wouldn't recommend it until you've exhausted all of the other related works, starting with The Secret Race.
on 29 December 2012
I have no personal interest in cycling but was interested to understand what has been happening in cycling and specifically the deceit behind Lance Armstrong.I read this book in a day, I was hooked and although there is some repetition because the content (I think) is reproduced articles, this did not deter my enthusiasm. Thoroughly recommend
on 24 July 2013
A well collated series of articles. Nothing new, but well worth the 're-read. Because the articles appeared over several years, decades, there are elements of repetition.
This is a summary of a dedicated journalist's work in to the story of Lance Armstrong and is part of the hinge that the sport is turning itself around for the better.
on 4 December 2012
For years David Walsh doubted Lance Armstrong and for years I doubted David Walsh. His evidence against Armstrong's denials was not enough for me. However my feelings have changed in light of more recent evidence and I apologise to you Mr Walsh, excellent journalism.
on 7 February 2013
I used to cycle a lot and follow the TDF avidly on tv in the late 80's. then I spent a lot of money and used up my holidays to go and watch it when it started in Ireland, I think in 1998. We watched it for tthree days then toured ireland for a few days with no tv. By the time I got home a week later, half the teams that we had put in so much money, time and effort to see, had been kicked out for drugs. about 5 years ago I read Armstrongs book 'its not about the bike' and thought he came across as very arrogant.
It destroyed any interest I had in the tour, so I missed all the years when Lance was winning, although I saw bits of interviews on the news where he was denying drug use during TDF press conferences.
Also I am not a regular reader of the Times so had missed David Walsh's pieces.
This little book is brilliant. i love the way its just a straight replication of each of David's relevant articles. I adore the way that most of them repeat a bit of the backstory again so that I'm not having to flip back trying to find out who the people are or where they came into the story. I have no idea how the points that David raises, like the performances of a supposedly clean Armstrong being better than the drugs-enhanced riders of previous years. How he basically 'swanned' up hills that had previous champions from years back, panting for their life and taking 10 minutes more than Lance to do it.
The signs were all there and I suspect everyone with a financial interest in the sport kept quiet because of the bullying narcissist at the middle of it all.
Well done David Walsh on having the tenacity to keep on with this all those years, shame he got shouted down by the Lance Lovers Brigade.
on 9 December 2012
I'll make no bones about it I was an apologist for Lance Armstrong, and strongly denied these allegations against him, baseing my support for LA on the fact he'd never tested positive.
Until that is I downloaded and read a few pages of the USADA report, you don't need to read it all, I still maintained Lance was innocent of all charges and David Walsh was a vindictive crackpot along the lines of Robin Gardiner, a compelling story needs compelling evidence, Walsh produces it Gardiner alas does not!
It's a sordid and dirty story from which lance Armstrong only has one avenue left open to him now, come clean Lance you can no longer deny the facts, plus he comes across as a downright nasty piece of work if you cross him in any way.
Good on David Walsh et al who stuck it out knowing the truth would come out someday! Lance's apologists now rank alongside the Holocaust deniers in their blinkered views to my mind.

For further reading I'm trying to read a poorly translated copy of LA Confidentiel, the book that really rattled LA and his cohorts, not been printed here in the UK under threat of Lance sueing, whether or not that threat still holds good as the Sunday Times are looking to claim the damages paid to Lance back!
on 11 April 2013
If you have read Walsh's latest book Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong much of this will be familiar to you. In fact it is interesting to see how many of his newspaper articles were recycled for Seven Deadly Sins (which is a great book).

But it is still fantastic to read the original articles in context when the risk of a defamation suit was high. I don't regret buying this.

Walsh and his editors at the Sunday Times deserve real credit for being brave enough to challenge Armstrong when he was at his strongest. Lots of other journalists are now happy to pile in and attack Armstrong but Walsh was the key journalist writing in English when it was not all official. He also acknowledges how he couldn't have done this without brave people like Emma O'Reilly, Betsy Andreu and Stephen Swart.

Walsh is a great writer and is particularly moving writing about his son John.

If you are interested in doping in sport, doping in cycling or Lance Armstrong you should read this.