5.0 out of 5 stars gooddogs
Published on 15 Oct 2012 by Yorkshire Lass

3.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have nothing else to do.
This is a programme of training, designed to turn around the behaviour of a mildly mischievous to the the most difficult dog. The principles are very good but for the average person with a limited amount of time, it is not really practical. It requires enlisting friends to help with a lengthy series of training meetings in outside spaces as well as spending a considerable...
Published 13 months ago by sarah sollom

5.0 out of 5 stars gooddogs, 15 Oct 2012
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
This book is a must-have on every dog owner's shelf, with its clear, step-by-step approach written in easy language and with attractive photographic illustrations. The book follows Pippa's tried and tested reward based training methods and it is obvious she has researched dog behaviour thoroughly. At the moment I have 2 dogs of different breeds, ages and with reasonably good recall. After following the appropriate advice in the book, I have succeeded in improving their recall even further and the dogs enjoy their time off the lead even more as a result.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Brilliant!, 20 Oct 2012
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
I can't say enough good stuff about this book! If you buy no other dog training book - get this one! As a trainer for more years than I care to remember, I moved away from the awful "yank and yell" style training that was prevalent over 25 years ago. At that time there were only two books about dog training that I could lay my hands and they were pretty useless, with emphasis on choke chains and punishment. (These were pre-Internet days!) There are now many good books about positive training theory and practice but in my view this is by far the best! In her book Pippa has echoed many of the positive training techniques that I've been using for some time, but not only that, there's an absolute mine of information that is totally new to me which has inspired me to do more training with my own dogs, and indeed my new puppy which arrives soon. I have been trying for years to impress upon owners in my puppy classes that their young puppies won't simply follow them forever when let off lead, and that after a period of time (which Pippa calls the "Safety Response") they will stray further and further away. Then, in the absence of training will become unruly and difficult to "capture". Until now, I had never found any written information to back up my theory - but it's all here in this book. Forget about "pack rules", forget about "quick fixes"; read this book and have fun whilst training with your dog!

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this to teach the most important command to your dog, 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
I am a dog trainer and one of the most common problems I encounter is the recall with distraction. If you don`t want to take your dog to an obedience class but want to teach the most important command in his/her life read this book and follow the advice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Recall, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
my dog has good recall and is 4 years old but I still found the advice given in this book useful. I use some of the information to help a friend with their young dog and have also used the advice to re-enforce recall with my dog.

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Recall, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: TOTAL RECALL: PERFECT RESPONSE TRAINING FOR PUPPIES AND ADULT DOGS (Kindle Edition)
I found this book to be very well written, easy to follow and most helpfull. If you've got difficulties with your dog's recall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this book to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying this book, 19 July 2013
Still busy reading it and already have had good use of information. A definite read for headstrong puppies especially for training stubborn large breeds. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars It does what is says on the cover, 31 Dec 2012
Nick (Salisbury, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
Pippa is an excellent writer for training dogs, if you follow the book your recall will be solved, honest practical and sensible.

The only problem will be the reader putting what it says in the book into practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog training book I have bought, 20 May 2013
Ed Clapham (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
From cover to cover this is fantastically written. I often find dog training books gloss over important elements. Not here. Easy to follow, simple steps. I'm half way through the book with my working cocker and his recall has gone from reluctant to rocket like.

5.0 out of 5 stars Managing the Hounds, 23 Sep 2013
B. Browne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
Pippa knows her dogs minds. Everything she states about their behaviourial patterns, I have witnessed in my three hounds and applying her methods will yield positive results, patience is required with older dogs though.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 20 Mar 2013
This review is from: Total Recall (Paperback)
Despairing of ever getting my 1 year old male gsd to come back to me, having paid lots of money on various books and private tuition, I decided to have one last shot with this book. I have to own up to not following Pippa's methods to the letter but have adapted some aspects to suit me (e.g. all training has been off leash as I cannot handle my dog on a long line) so am probably not on course to achieve total recall. However, within the space of 2 weeks my dog's recall has improved fantastically and I can call him away from dogs he is playing with and prevent him from galloping off after any dog he spots in the distance. The main things I have drawn from this book which I had not done previously are the use of a whistle, the use of really enticing treats and different levels of treats and training the same thing in different situations (I had not understood that dogs cannot generalise). This book is easy to read and full of humour and I am really pleased with the results I have had so far.