5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed Space Opera, romance, awesome heroine,
Published 20 months ago by Cece

3.0 out of 5 stars Action Packed Story
I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for my honest review.

What I liked:

Published 16 months ago by Bruce E Arrington

5.0 out of 5 stars Action packed Space Opera, romance, awesome heroine,, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Oh, where to begin? A while back, I read one other book set in this awesome world Kevis has created, and enjoyed it, just like I enjoyed reading 'Inquest'. Wonderful descriptions and action scenes. So visual. I love the characters. Zyra, the heroine in this story, a bounty hunter is quite a character. Under all that toughness, she is complex and sensitive, carries lots of guilt of things she did before she became who she is. It was good to see a soft side of her - especially when she was around Mikaela.
Then there is Skringler. And wow. Talk about a cocky bad guy, and bad to the truest sense. I sort of liked him.. :D couldn't help it. Infact, I'm begining to think he was my favourite, right after Zyra. Anyway.
The end was .... unexpected. Brilliant. Kudos, Kevis. With that kind of ending, I look forward to the next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for sci-fi lovers and sci-fi newbies alike!, 7 Nov 2012
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Rogue hunter follows the story of Zyra, A bounty hunter and how she has ended up being on trial for breaking out one of New Venuses most wanted criminals.
I haven't read many sci-fi novels but I am so glad that I have read this one. From get go i was hooked!

You discover why Zyra is in the predicament that she is in through the medium of present day narration and through flashbacks. Even though this is a litter confusing at first, you get used to it and in the end I don't think there would have been as much depth to the tale if it was written in a different way.

I love the Zyra! As a main character she is brilliant. She is so complex and there is so many different sides to her character. She seems quite harsh and robust but bit by bit it you can discover how soft she becomes, especially when it comes to her love for Mikaela. You feel sorry for her too because she seems to be so broken and confused. It is awesome to see her highs and lows throughout the novel.

Another thing I adored was the world building. This universe is a whole new concept for me but due to wonderfully descriptive writing style. You are able to picture it so vividly. I find the concept of this interpretation of the future so intriguing! The politics between the worlds in the galaxy also had me. They were not too complicated and it was very easy to follow.
Normally with books I can guess elements of what was going to happen. But this, with each turn of the page took me by surprise. I would be sat there reading and be like: OMG DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!!

At 175 pages on the PDF, I was scared that this novel would not be long enough; that the characters would be introduced in a rushed manner and the world building would be scarce... This novel could not be further from this! I could not have been more wrong! This read is so action pact... so much better than novels triple its size! This is definitely a perfect example of quality over quantity.

Recommend to lovers of Sci-Fi adventures and also to people who have never read sci-fi but want to try it!

I will be totally be keeping an eye out for more of Kevis's work. Many thanks to him for the review copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun and fast paced, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Rogue Hunter: Inquest is a surprisingly entertaining novel centered around a woman intergalactic bounty hunter. The pace is fast, and the writing is smooth and succinct. Many readers will correctly note that much in this story is familiar sounding, and some aspects do have a Buck Rogers feel. Nevertheless, this light science fiction kept my interest. And the author did a wonderful job of not turning the main character into an exaggerated superwoman. I enjoyed Rogue Hunter more than several celebrated science fictions novels recently read. This ebook was given to me in return for an honest, non-reciprocal review.

5.0 out of 5 stars whow... this has everyting to keep your heart pumping, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
whow... this has everyting to keep your heart pumping. The twists and turns come fast and the novel was just what I was looking for in a change of style from what I usally read.Bring on the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Zyra is a bounty hunter and she needs to deliver Boris to get money that'll get her out of trouble. But not only does she herself land in jail, she might even cause a war between the intergalactic worlds!

I loved how well Zyra's character was described. She was a kick-ass MC. The mechanics of how the worlds worked, the politics of the futuristic governments (which ultimately, were not that different from ours) was complicated yet detailed so beautifully.

If you want an action-packed, engrossing and well written space opera, this should definitely be your book.

The background on why Zyra became who she is and more info on Boris has made me very curious. I'm definitely going to be picking up more on this series.

I received a copy of this book for my honest, non-reciprocal review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Crescendo Climax Cleverly Teases Sequel Themes, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A great combination of spicy scenes and hard-punching action! Rogue Hunter: Inquest truly lives up to the traditions of hard-hitting action in the last part of the book, but the opening section moves a bit slowly for the genre. I did like the development of the relationship between the Zyra and Mikaela, but found the dialogue somewhat stilted. The prose throughout are tight and well written.
The story turns and twists in sometimes unexpected ways. I did not expect Boris to abandon Zyra at the end of the prison escape. The Queen of Venus demonstrated depth of a political leadership role. Her part could have fit well in a Star Wars-type series.
As I often think with action books, Rogue Hunter: Inquest aches for visuals. The silver screen would be a great match for Hendrickson's skills. As well, writing screenplays would tighten up the slowly building climax by imposing its arbitrary set of build-up rules.
The book successfully creates new political worlds and often startles in its plot structure. Amazon Studios should search out this talented action-series writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Time Read, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Rogue Hunter: Inquest (Paperback)
I have to admit straight up that I am a real sucker for Space Operas, so it won't surprise you that I enjoyed this book. Based on a Ross Hunter concept with new material of it's own, it is a tale involving a beautiful bounty hunter on a mission to rescue a mass murderer, who also happens to be her former partner, from a death sentence on a planet named New Venus. A world ruled by women where it is death for a man to even go there. But New Venus is at the center of something much bigger, as two galactic empires collide on a course to certain war and are looking for an excuse start the fireworks.
I won't play spoiler here but there is plenty of action, some memorable characters, and good, old fashioned interplanetary warfare to keep the reader entertained. True to the form of Space Opera, it unfolds its story and opens the door to even further mayhem in future volumes. A light, undemanding read, it succeeds in delivering a satisfying action tale with plenty of action, galactic politics, secret weapons and warlike characters to fill the dark recesses.

3.0 out of 5 stars Action Packed Story, 13 Mar 2013

What I liked:

The fast-paced action and suspense was well written. It was a page turner, especially once the big stuff started up. It was also obvious the book had been edited--it wasn't filled with typos and grammar problems (thank you!). That it itself, often makes independent books more enjoyable to read. The convoluted natures of both Zyra and Skringler worked well to keep me guessing what was going to happen. The author worked hard to make you hate one and cheer for the other (I won't tell which). The author also presented a lot of sensory detail, for the most part, and that helped place images in my mind (but does anyone ever eat?).

What I didn't like:

The first part of the story, where the sequence of events was mixed up was not necessary, especially in light of the whole book. It made the adventure seem like it was going to wrap up as soon as the reader caught up with the present time. I suggest that next time, simply write out the events as they happen, and tighten your tension with each chapter. I understand that going back helps build tension, but it also builds a certain amount of frustration.
For me, the sex scene between Zyra and Mika took away from the story. I thought it was too intense and detailed for what the story was really about. I also realize that in a story with this scope, it is hard to convey the entire thing while staying with one viewpoint. However, I think that if the author had kept to perhaps two or (no more than) three viewpoints, it would have kept the jarring effect to a minimum. Also, develop those characters more, instead of introducing them with little or no background and keeping them that way. For the most part, I thought the voices in the story were mostly similar except for Kara (slightly more irate), Mika (quieter) and Zyra/Skringler (defiant, mouthy). When characters lack enough color, it is easy to forget about them, and the story can more easily be overlooked. The last part of the story seemed contrived to a point. There wasn't enough backstory presented to even hint at what was to come. For myself, I usually hate backstory, simply because too often it is a data dump. However, not knowing any of the big picture (at all) left me wondering if we were simply moving on to another plot. Even though I left more "improvement comments" than kudos on this review, I did enjoy the story and was pulled into a grand outer space adventure.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strong Heroine, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Rogue Hunter: Inquest (Paperback)
Zyra Zanr is a beautiful bounty hunter searching for an intergalactic terrorist named Boris Skringler. She finds him, of all places, on New Venus; a planet which has rid itself of men and kills any man who dares to set foot on it. Why he's there is never really explained. I guess if you're a cocky criminal with thick fingers, thick chest hair and a thick Scottish accent; a world filled with fluffies is the place you'd want to be. Fluffies, by the way, is Skringler's less than politically correct slang to describe women who've gone without a bikini wax for quite some time. Unfortunately for Skringler, the women of New Venus prefer the fluffer over the nutter and are planning to execute him.

Zyra Zanr can't allow that to happen. She needs to grab Skringler and haul him out of there so she can collect a hefty bounty. Why? Because she owes the mob big time. Unfortunately, she might have to compromise her relationship with Mikaela, an older woman livng on New Venus, in order to collect it. To complicate matters further, Zyra once had a relationship with Skringler,and despite herself, is still attracted to him.

I expected Rogue Hunter to be action packed and it was toward the end of the book. The first half is slow paced, based mostly around politics interspersed with a couple of trite butch guard scenes and a short romantic interlude between Mika and Zyra. It's livened up by some snappy dialogue between Zyra and Skringler. Like many action novels, the action scenes are more fleshed out than the characters. But I like a good fight scene and there's a couple toward the end. There's some awkward phrasing throughout the book; at one point even Zyra is baffled as to why she turns completely around before beginning to attack. But for the most part I enjoyed Rogue Hunter. I would recommend it to anyone looking for an action novel with a strong female protagonist.

3.0 out of 5 stars Zyra hits the spot, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
First off, I have to say that I came to this book as a lover of Star Wars-style action rather then Star Trek-style politics and diplomacy. This book mixes up both, so feel free to add an extra star to my review if you don't mind a mix of pace and style! Rogue Hunter starts off quite slowly, with much of the set-up and character development explored through conversation. It's a narrative decision that pays off though - there's a moment where 'Zyra gritted her teeth and swore. Even before she had come to this world, she had known there would be trouble' and you just know that things are going to kick off. And they do.

Zyra herself isn't the most interesting character in the book: it's when she interacts with her nemesis, Boris Skringler, that sparks really start to fly. Skringler is like an amped-up version of Han Solo ... if Solo had not only shot Greedo first, but slaughtered every living being in the cantina too. Skringler is so cool a character that my only problem with the last half of the book was that I wanted to get back to the scenes between him and Zyra. The plot switches between their exploits and an intergalactic game of brinkmanship that erupts into a massive space battle. As well conceived as this was, personally I was just itching to get back to the antics of the ex-lover bounty hunters.

But, like I said, if you enjoy all facets of the space opera genre, Rogue Hunter delivers.

Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1)
Inquest (Rogue Hunter Book 1) by Kevis Hendrickson