5.0 out of 5 stars Accelerated Learning
This book is true to its title. It really does take you from zero to having your own website up and running.

What I like about it is that it assumes that although I am ignorant about WordPress, I am actually a reasonably intelligent person familiar with using a PC and modern software packages.

This means it does not insist on reproducing every...
Published 4 months ago by GreenSpangle

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good
Didn't find the basic instructions useful or correct. On following his recommendations on sites to set up name & hosting, I didn't find the instructions from there on to be correct, & had to use technical help to progress.
Published 10 months ago by Alan Gwynant

5.0 out of 5 stars Accelerated Learning, 10 April 2014

This means it does not insist on reproducing every single screen and explaining every single field in tedious (and usually very verbose) detail. Instead it strikes a very pleasing balance by explaining the things that are important and those that I am likely to get wrong and leaves the rest for me to explore.

As well as this book I also bought: "WordPress To Go: How To Build A WordPress Website On Your Own Domain, From Scratch, Even If You Are A Complete Beginner by Sarah McHarry" which has the same qualities and I recommend for the same reason.

Although the two books cover much of the same ground I found that having two experts each explaining WordPress to me in their own words and with their own insights and views, made the learning process more effective. And any problems on my part could usually be overcome by referring to the other book.

Buy both!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for new starters to Wordpress, 21 Sep 2013
What can I say...I'm a technophobe! I'm absolutely terrified of doing anything more than use a keyboard to browse and type so when I took on the task to start my own website, I wanted a guide that would show me where to start and lead me through the entire process. This book by Andy Williams does that - perfectly!
I'm now halfway through designing the site and can't wait to get it finished. I might have to get another, slightly more advanced book, but I should cope with it now after having learned my way around a wordpress site.
Only one small down-side - the book refers to an older version of Wordpress (2011) and my latest template is 2013. I did go back and use the recommended template as it was easier to follow the guide then, but there are updates in the latest version that don't exist in the book. But on a high note, it makes you learn a little more because you have to search :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Why can't all guides be like this?, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Wordpress for Beginners: A Visual Step-by-Step Guide to Creating your Own Wordpress Site in Record Time, Starting from Zero! (Webmaster Series Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I'm a technophobe at heart, especially where anything to do with IT is concerned. I suspect that the main reason for this is that, lacking any instinctive understanding, I need a detailed instruction manual to help me get to grips with anything that is new to me - and the geeks who are capable of understanding these things seem incapable of writing the sort of manual that I need.
So it was both a relief and a pleasure to find this guide. It starts at the very beginning of website creation with advice on hosting and domain name registration, and then goes through the process of creating a website/blog using Wordpress. It does it painstakingly, step-by-step, with screenshots of every stage.
It has convinced even me that I am capable of creating an attractive, effective site. If only all such instructional guides were this good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Step by step by step, 14 July 2013
An excellent, straight-talking guide. No silly buddy-buddy language, good screen-grab illustrations with each stage. Excellent for all the start-up structure with hosting and so on.

Thank you Dr Williams! The patient is doing well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, 2 Nov 2012
Although I already have a Wordpress blog, this book has been helpful in teaching me more about how I can best use it. Especially helpful were the screenshots of each step.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exemplary teaching., 16 April 2013
This book is a model of good teaching. Clear, uncluttered, direct. It takes you through the process with admirable clarity. I bought a printed guide to Word Press for twice the price which left me utterly confused - this book should be used as an example of how to teach. Very highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BEFORE YOU START, 12 Oct 2013
It wasn't perfect or I would have given a score of 5 but I managed to go from never using word-press at all to building all the functions for a pretty decent website in a single weekend. I had not entered the content but that should be done over the next few days. Then I will be able to fine tune after that. I can see there is a lot more to word-press but this book gives you a fast way to avoid many starting pitfalls. Well worth the price. Just remember, this is for building your own site using word-press from .ORG which is not the same as making a word-press.COM site. For me, I wanted to host my own domain, and if you fit into that category then DO BUY THIS FIRST before buying your domain name and your web-host. The book stops you making big mistakes even at that early stage.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 28 Sep 2013
Alan Gwynant "alang" (Wales) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 13 July 2013
Very helpful, and easy to follow. Explained a lot of background stuff, and why they were needed. I used it to set up a new website for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wordpress for Beginners, 13 Mar 2013
What a fantastic book.
Very well written and easy to understand.
I'd highly recommend this book to anyone looking into web design using Wordpress.