Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£13.78

on 28 September 2010
I found this book quite inspiring. I am not born a bilingual but became one living many years abroad and in a multicultural family. My son is pefectly bilingual from birth. Maybe it is not a book for the parents-to-be, but for those who already tried to interprete why your own behaviour have changed through the years, and especially why your own child behaves differently from other kids.

Many things that were bothering me became clear after reading this book. Indeed, I see that my child lives in two different dimensions and even his emotional level depends upon what language he speaks in the moment and in what language he reads. It is one person with his father, and another person with me. Thismay be not easy for him, but being bilingual is an enourmous asset. He is very handy looking at things from different perspectives, in understanding somebody else's point of view, in any job requiring multi-tasking and quick switching over. Anyway, full support for this book. Completely desagree with the father-to-be in Salzburg, who is so critical about the book.
on 22 July 2010
Very disappointed. As a parent of a (hopefully) soon to be bilingual baby I was hoping for some real insights but instead I find this book repetitive and very much common sense.
You could brainstorm the diagrams yourself (e.g. Figure 14.1 Factors leading to the acquisition of another language in children) while some of the text is so obvious that it feels like padding and detracts from the anything thought-provoking that the author might wish to write. E.g. Testimony from a Dutch-English bilingual: "you are able to communicate with people in different countries" (page 97). No, really!!!