My wife and I love curries, Indian and Thai. We normally prepare all of the ingredients from scratch. Every few months making up pots of Garam Masalata etc.

We were intrigued by these Kent's Kitchen Meal kits for Thai red curry.

Published 2 months ago by Paul Stewart

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky presentation for average product
Published 1 month ago by J. Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars The kits look great on the shelf and make very authentic Thai Red curry. Excellent, 23 Aug 2014
This review is from: Kent's Kitchen Meal Kits Red Thai 65 g (Pack of 4) (Grocery)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

We were intrigued by these Kent's Kitchen Meal kits for Thai red curry.

Inside the cardboard container are 4 coulourful plasic boxes which each have three pots for all of the spices and oil needed to be used with freahly bought ingredients.

We had just bought fresh chicken and several tins of coconut milk from our amazing Aldi.

The instructions are hidden behind the ingredients list in very small print. Two options, use a magnifying glass or what I did, scan them and display as a .pdf on my Samsung tablet.

The instructions confusingly say for 2 or 4 people. We cooked four chicken breasts, a whole can of coconut milk and lots of veggies and the resulting Thai curry with our favourite brown rice was as good as we have had in our local Thai restaurant.I think only two chicken breasts etc. would have resulted in too strong a flavour.

There are 14 different flavours of meal available. I wish it was possible to buy a mixed selection, They would then make great gifts and also allow us to experiment with meals from around the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gimmicky presentation for average product, 1 Sep 2014
J. Dawson (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
One can't help but suspect that this product mostly exists because of the smart packaging, for beyond that it has little if anything to offer over a jar of curry paste or a spice blend. It looks and sounds appealing in its little plastic tower containing a tub of garlic-infused oil to fry in, a tub of spice paste, and a tub of "aromatics", but the finished product is no easier nor better tasting than what you'd expect to get from any random curry paste. The spice paste has a very odd texture, sort of smooth and treacle-y, and the aromatics (dried herbs and veg) don't seem to add much of anything. You have to add your own meat, coconut milk, fresh veg and coriander. I did think the finished product tasted good - better than I had expected, in fact. However, had I been served this without seeing the packaging, I doubt I'd have recognised it as a Thai curry. Indeed the elements I'd have most associated with Thai cookery are the coconut milk and coriander which I had to add myself. It also didn't have much kick. So: palatable? Yes, not bad at all. Authentic? Didn't taste like any Thai curry I've eaten before but then I've never been to Thailand. Easy? No more so than using curry paste from a jar. Value for money? Again, much cheaper to buy that jar of spice paste. Plus, lots more wasteful packaging. Which brings me back to the conclusion that the only reason to buy this is the slightly unusual presentation.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kent's Kitchen Meal Kits Red Thai, 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are handy little pots to have all the various herbs and spices ready to cook a quick curry, especially if you're the type of person who buys a load of herbs and spices then uses them for one recipe and they they live in your kitchen and never get used again. However, you do need a few other ingredients alongside the spice pots to make a meal which might then make them a little expensive. We didn't go completely with the recipe as i'm vegetarian so we used different vegetables to the ones suggested along with quorn rather than chicken. It did turn out to be very tasty and i guess you could completely leave out the quorn and simple use lots of veggies if you wanted to. I think i would try others from this range to see whether the quality is the same across the board but these are quick useful to have in the cupboard alongside some tins of coconut milk, then as i've said just some veggies and rice and you've got a lovely meal.

Be aware that the cooking instructions are inside the sticky label on the back of the pack in quite small writing so very hard to miss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and adds an extra dimension to fresh food., 23 Aug 2014
Mike Renshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although not the most expensive thing in the world, and at just over £2 per meal kit (excluding fresh ingredients) then it's not bad value for money. It's worth it for the convenience of having them together.

Each kit contains a pot of Thai curry paste, garlic oil and garnish. You just add chicken, coconut milk and red pepper (as well as rice). The pots are simple enough to open and surprisingly robust - they look cheap but are quite solid and protective lid comes off easily. It takes around ten minutes to make the meal and it's simple to do - once you've first worked out where the cooking instructions are!

You have to peel the back label off carefully, the first time i did it the whole thing came off, but the actual cooking method is on the back of the label. Ridiculous idea and impractical.

The overall taste of the food was good, and these kits brought out the flavour - I probably won't try the Thai curry again, but looking at some of the other products that Kent's do then I'll certainly buy a few different ones simply because this kit was easy to use and make different types of food quickly. The kit serving size recommends 2-4 people but only with tiny portions. It serves an average sized portion for two.

Not something I would have bought, but having tested them I'm going to try others and the firecracker sweet & sour and rogan josh will be next ones.

Cheap enough to try different styles and make fresh food with a bit of extra zing.

Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to make, great taste!!, 23 Aug 2014
Another Weasley (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really simple, easy to make, meal kit which tastes great. All you need to add are cherry tomatoes, red pepper, coconut milk, chicken, and coriander to garnish. The instructions are on the reverse of the label - just peel it back and follow them. It doesn’t take long to make the dish (less than 20 mins) and it is really fresh and tasty. The meal kit serves two but they say you should just add more chicken if you have more people. I made it for three people so used three chicken breasts and there was plenty of curry for everyone.

Overall presentation of the dish looked really good and for a quick meal it looked nice and tasted fantastic. It is ideal for anyone working late and wanting a quick dinner but I would also have no hesitations serving it for guests coming for dinner. I am not the biggest fan of spicy food and it was hot for me but it still tasted delicious. It reminded me of some of the meals I had in Thailand and I thought it was quite authentic.

I really want to try some of the other meal kits now. It would be great if you could get a variety box which has four different meal kits (eg. Green Thai Curry, Red Thai Curry, Chicken Chow Mein and a Spicy Korma) rather than four of the same.

I am very impressed. Three of us tried this meal kit and we all thought it tasted great. Everyone gave it 5 out of 5 stars. Much nicer than a jar of sauce!

3.0 out of 5 stars Tasty., 28 Aug 2014
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think the concept of this red thai curry kit is very good indeed and I found the curry to be really nice when made. Very tasty and fresh.

However, there is a slight issue here. Let me explain.

A lot of these kits, especially for mexican food, require you to buy chicken or beef, maybe an onion and, once in a blue moon a pepper. Most people will have chicken breasts in the freezer and usually an onion lying around so there is little that needs to be done beyond getting the pan fired up.

The red thai kit requires you to add the following to the kit, 400ml coconut milk, chicken breasts, cherry tomatoes, red pepper and fresh coriander. I think most people will not have much beyond chicken breasts and, at a push, coconut milk, lying around.

What this means is you need to plan this meal in advance. No great shakes but the convenience factor goes way down which is a bit of a shame.

Anyway, the curry itself tastes nice, not too hot but with a wee kick from the chillis. One thing I thought was pretty cool is that the oil for frying your chicken is in the pack and its garlic infused, that is a nice touch and gives the chicken a nice taste.

So, a decent enough kit with some nice flavours but make sure you have the required fresh ingredients.

4.0 out of 5 stars Removing the barriers, 15 Sep 2014
Amazon Customer - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoy cooking but have never tackled a Thai dish before, mainly for lack of the necessary spices in the cupboard. Having everything you need pre-measured into three pots removed all barriers from the task and the resultant dish was really rather good - and the kit itself is suitable for vegetarians, which makes a nice change.

The suggestion that the meal can be prepared in 20 minutes was a little optimistic; it took around 40 from starting prep to serving, although I did make two versions (one vegetarian) at the same time. I decided to split one kit into two, which worked well and produced two very fragrant dishes, which smelled absolutely fantastic whilst cooking.

A recipe for a chicken dish is included on the pack and I broadly followed those instructions although I did throw in a few other vegetables (mushrooms, asparagus and spring onions) as I was preparing those anyway for the vegetarian version. I fried some strips of Halloumi to substitute for the chicken in the second dish and that worked really well.

The kits are easy to store in the cupboard and have a reasonably good shelf life, although I suspect they'll get used rather quickly as I experiment more with Thai-inspired cuisine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Unusual taste, 29 Aug 2014
Dave (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The finished meal tasted quite nice if a bit oily but not like any other Thai curries that I have tasted either home-made or at Thai restaurants. However I would not buy it in future as I do not think it is value for money.

There are 3 pots in the kit one of which is garlic infused oil. The oil need not be garlic infused as if the meal needed the garlic it could be added to the Thai red curry paste. This leaves 2 pots of which one is described as a garnish. This in my opinion is not a garnish, it is an ingredient and as such I don't see why it could also not be added to the curry paste. A garnish is used to add flavour or texture or decoration or a combination of these to a prepared dish.

This would then leave just one small pot of expensive curry paste that does not contain some of the usual ingredients of a Thai red curry paste such as - shallot, lemon-grass, cumin, fish sauce (light soy for vegetarians), and ginger which could be why the taste was new to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars but gosh I was in for a nice surprise. Each meal kit comes in its own ..., 22 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't really sure about this since I generally don't use "ready meals" or meal preparation kits, but gosh I was in for a nice surprise.
Each meal kit comes in its own cute clear box which contains 3 little pots, one with Garlic oil, one with spices and one with curry paste. The kit suggests you need to have in your possession chicken strips, coconut milk, red pepper, and tomatoes with coriander to garnish. I guess when you pick this up you would but the other bits alongside. The instructions are so easy to follow and having tested it I can conform this is a great cheat for making red thai curry. Tasted good and super simple, will be looking out for other kits now! For those who are environmentally sensitive the only gripe I have is the use of extra plastic packaging. I wonder if they could have used cardboard to house each individual meal pack rather than the (albeit nice looking) plastic box.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kent's Kitchen Meal Kits Red Thai: Simple to use and tasty., 21 Aug 2014
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What's in the box: Box contains 4 kits. Each kit contains three pots, one of curry paste, a garnish and an infused garlic oil.

You need to provide the fresh ingredients (chicken, tomatoes, coconut milk etc).

At first I was confused, the cooking method is hidden behind the ingredients label, you need to peel this off quite carefully to find out how to make your curry.

Making the curry is very easy, evan a kitchen incompetent like myself can do It without too much trouble. Not having made such a dish 'from scratch' I cannot comment on whether using a kit is significantly easier. The resultant curry was very tasty, not quite as good as from out local Thai restaurant, but then nothing off a shelf is likely to be.

IN summary, easy to use and tasty. 5 stars.

Kent's Kitchen Meal Kits Red Thai 65 g (Pack of 4)