5.0 out of 5 stars A real joy to use
I've been working in IT for nearly twenty years now and it's rare to find a device so perfectly crafted and simple to use. I have tested and lived with all kinds of touch devices starting with early handheld pc devices, through to kindle fire hd and a range of Android 4.x tablets up to Tegra based units on sale at the end of 2012.

None of the other units come...
Published 20 months ago by Cg //

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good for iplayer and general use
Very good for iplayer and general use. But, in spite of help from the local Apple Shop, can't get email to work at all.
Good picture and adequate sound. Responds rapidly to touch. Good for downloads and receives 3G signals well.
Published 4 days ago by DutchDirk

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A real joy to use, 30 Dec 2012
Cg // "Cg //" (Limerick, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Apple IPAD MINI Cellular 16 GB 512 MB 7.9 -inch LCD (Personal Computers)

None of the other units come close to the iPad, and with the arrival of the iPad mini I have found what seems to be the ideal Tablet device for my needs and tastes.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this conclusion, given how hard it was to find any retailer with a 16gb mini in stock between Xmas and new year 2012 but as luck would have it Holyhead Argos had one final 16gb cellular in stock just an hour before I left Wales for Ireland!

No small feat having tried hunting for stock across most of Northern England over 5 days.

Once the hard job is done, which for me was to accept the premium price and find stock, everything else slips into place. The mini is a dream to operate, just about anything I could want to do is obvious to me and to my four year old son. None of the rough edges and ill thought out menus I found in windows 8, or android.

Getting the cellular option was a little eye watering on the pocket, but having taken the plunge I am happy to have the added flexibility available to me when travelling, something I do often both alone for work and with the family when visiting the U.K. Via Ferry or Airline.

The flexibility of the iPad mini is what I enjoy most. It's as lovely as the iPhone 4S, but has a screen large enough to read books, zines and reports in comfort. it's responsive, clear and yet light and tough.

I dislike having to travel heavy and it's great to be able to downsize without compromising on function and usability.

I've now downgraded my laptop to a Dell D430, to further reduce weight but I expect now to use the laptop less often with the iPhone and iPad mini doing most of my travelling jobs.

Time will tell, though I would underline the fact that I still rely on a powerful Dell workstation for my core work in IT and Web Development. I'm not an Apple only user, far from it. When on the move though the iPhone and iPad mini are excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly light, fast and beautifully designed. Best tablet available., 30 Dec 2013
John Ryan "One man and his Kat" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This iPad Mini is not quite the most recent model (it's been upgraded to the "iPad Mini with Retina Display" and the full size "iPad Air"), but it's still an incredibly beautiful device. Oddly enough, it's so beautifully easy to use (my one year old daughter loves playing with it), it's almost doesn't feel like a computer at all.

I bought one for my daughter and she absolutely loves it. We sold the previous Android tablet as it just sat in a drawer not being used.

A word of warning - this review is written for people who've never owned an iPad before - and are wondering what all the fuss is about. Don't read this if you already own an iPad or Mini and are thinking about an upgrade - I'd recommend you simply buy a mini with Retina or an iPad Air.

Just what's all the fuss about?
--------------------------------------

I used to own a laptop for work, and (very occasionally), it'd sit on my lap on the sofa, and I'd use it for pleasure (eMail, watching films or playing the odd game). Then I bought my first iPad, and the laptop became redundant, a boring "work device". Hard to explain, but the fact the iPad is so small and light, and you navigate around with your finger by pointing and gently swiping the screen makes the whole experience a lot easier - a lot more fun.

Even my most "luddite" of friends have been won over.

It's incredibly simple and easy to use (it only has one main button), and everyone from my one year old daughter to my 85 year old dad have taken to without problems. It's size and shape also support using it like a book (literally to read a book or web page), but you can also watch TV and films.

Personally I'm also paranoid about my password getting "hacked", and someone running up a huge Amazon bill or buying stuff with my credit card on eBay. Well one of the benefits of the iPad (and iPhone) is it's "almost impossible" to get a virus - one of the most common ways to get hacked. This doesn't mean you shouldn't use strong passwords, (both Sony and Adobe got hacked), but it's reassuring to leave the Windows world behind.

Finally, I love the way these devices (iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, Apple Mac), increasingly work together. The fact you can start a Pages document on your Mac and edit it on your iPad, or take photos on the iPhone, and in seconds see them on the iPad or Mac and display them on the Apple TV.

The thing is, "it just works".

What would you use if for?
----------------------------------

* Shopping online. Obviously - you could be reading a review on Amazon about the iPad Air!
* Video Calling. With either "FaceTime" (to another Apple device) or Skype - you can make video calls to other people
* Reading web pages. As you can hold it like a book it's great to read the news online (my wife loves the Daily Mail Online).
* Reading Books. It's great for reading books from Amazon Kindle or Apple Books with the benefit of 1,000s of online book reviews
* Navigating web pages. Instead of clicking with a mouse, you gently swipe your fingers on screen to scroll around
* Watching Films. I use it to watch Netflix online videos (with an Apple TV you can send stuff to the telly)
* Watching TV. With the free BBC iPlayer app you can catch up or download BBC programs
* Reading and replying to mail. I use "mailbox" a great free app to read and reply to mails, but there's a free one included
* Showing and organising photos. Any photos on an iPhone are automatically available within minutes in "the cloud"
* Playing games. From fun puzzle games like "Cut the Rope" to fully fledged first person shooters.
* Listening to the Radio. With "Tune in Radio" you can listen to thousands of radio stations world-wide.
* Listening to music. I stream mine to an Apple TV, but you can also buy portable speakers or just plug into the AUX socket
* The list goes on and on.

Which model should I buy?
----------------------------------

I can't comment about Android tablets (apart from the Google Nexus 7 which is well regarded), but in terms of the Apple tablet line-up:-

iPad mini Size:-

* iPad mini is a lovely tablet. A 7.9 inch screen and astonishingly light and remarkably thin - it feels like a light-weight book.
* iPad mini with retina screen. Again 7.9 inch screen, but with the blazingly fast A7 chip and a "retina" (high definition) screen. Worth the upgrade if you can afford it. The HD screen is amazing, and faster chip means it will be a bit more "future proof".

Full Size iPad options. (much larger screen - makes a huge difference):-

* 1st Generation iPad. Seldom available new - best avoided - there's better options available
* 2nd Generation. Avoid the Apple iPad 2, it's a relatively old model, under-powered and with a lower resolution screen. If you really want an Apple but don't want to spend the cash, buy a 16g WIFI 3rd or 4th generation iPad from Amazon or eBay. Avoid this one.
* iPad 3rd Generation. First iPad with the "Retina" (high definition) screen. A5X chip. Excellent iPad - highly recommended
* iPad 4th Generation. With A6X chip. In short, not quite as fast as the latest chip but pretty zippy. Biggest difference is the smaller power socket and slightly faster processor.
* iPad Air. Same fast (A7) chip as the Mini with Retina - the latest and fastest iPad available. This has been re-designed to be even smaller than the iPad 2/3/4 and with the new chip making it even faster.

In terms of which to buy - if you want something REALLY small and light to read on the train, the iPad Mini or the latest version with the Retina screen is your best bet. Otherwise, the 3rd, 4th generation or iPad Air is your best option - depending upon your budget.

Me I've owned a 1st and 3rd generation full size iPad and most recently an Air. My daughter owns an iPad mini, and we've loved them all.

What are the Optional add-ons?
-----------------------------------------

Well, assuming you've dropped by the Apple Store or John Lewis (which I would highly recommend), and handled the iPad Mini (with/without retina screen), and iPad 2 and Air then your options are around memory size and cellular option.

Memory: Once bought, you can't add memory (space for apps, films, books etc). However, the basic price goes up a huge amount (+80 for the 16g to 32g iPad Air). But, having owned a 16g and then a 32g iPad - I can safely recommend the 16g unless you really want to store a huge amount of videos and downloads. Only you can decide, and if you're lucky enough that money is no object then splash out. Otherwise, 16g should be fine for most people.

Celular: Allows you to connect to the internet while you're out and about. This will add an additional +100 to the price and means you can slip in a mobile phone SIM card. This means (for an additional 7-15 a month extra), you can access the internet on the move. Alternatively, you can opt for the WIFI option, and use it at home or at at "hot spot" (eg. Starbucks, most rail stations and hotels etc).

Personally I'd buy (and indeed did), the 16Gb iPad Air WIFI. But again, it depends upon your budget.

Do I need anything else?
-------------------------------

Most people (me included) buy a cover. Apple (and now several copy-cats) make a "smart-cover" which automatically shuts down the iPad when you close it, and switches it on when you open it. There's versions which cover the back, or just the screen. Apple charge from 35 to 65 for their (admittedly) high quality fabric or leather covers, but there's many available from 10. Be aware, you do get what you pay for.

Personally,I think it's a pity to cover the beautiful aluminium industrial design of the iPad with a cover - but if you've spent hundreds of pounds you'll want to protect it from scrapes and bangs.

I also invested in a keyboard (25-80), as I tend to write a lot of mails and documents (remember it comes with a word processor). I'd recommend (for the iPad Air) the Logitech Ultra Thin iPad Air Case with Keyboard - Space Greyand the ZAGG Keys iPad Air Case Folio with Backlit Keyboard - Black although these are strictly optional unless you want to use your iPad as a proper laptop.

Word of warning: If you're looking for a case or keyboard be sure to buy the correct size (they're all different):-

1. iPad mini size
2. iPad 2, 3 or 4th generation (full size iPad)
3. iPad Air size (full size but designed to be smaller)

Finally, if you have another Apple device (eg. an iPhone, Apple TV or Mac) you'll find these work together beautifully. For example, you can create a reminder on your iPad and it appears on your iPhone. Equally, photos taken on your iPhone appear on your iPad, and you can stream music or videos from iPad, iPhone or Mac to an Apple TV.

One word of advice - make sure the entire family use the same "Apple iTunes Account" - but you all have a separate "iCloud Account". This means, when you buy an App, Music or Film on one iDevice its available to everyone, but you each have separate "Cloud Storage" to backup your iPad or store documents independent of each other. Incidentally, creating an iCloud account means your iPad is automatically backed up (no wires, no fuss) every time you charge it up. A wonderful feature - one of many.

Overall Opinion
---------------------

It's hard to believe the iPad version 1 was released just four years ago, and there's a huge raft of "me too" tablet computers to choose from, but the Apple iPad is still the one to beat. As "Which?" magazine put it about the iPad Air - "...the best tablet we've ever tested. Apple packs a beautiful screen and lightning fast processor into a slimmer-than-ever shell, and battery life is very impressive".

Yes, there are cheaper Android based alternatives, but the quality, design and beauty of this tablet just sets it apart. If it were a car it'd be a top of the range Mercedes or a BMW. Looking at the iPad 3rd or 4th generation, you've not quite got the "latest version" - but it's still a top end tablet computer.

Obviously, depending upon your budget, buy the latest iPad (full size or mini) available - but whichever one you buy you're sure to be delighted.

Highly Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 16 Mar 2013
Gabriel Kohanim "Gabrielko" (New Jersey, NJ) - See all my reviews
Like expected. Good Battery Life. Handy, aesthetically pleasant. No drawbacks whatsoever. Definitely worthed buying, just a bit expensive. (Definitely Buy a cover for it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Ever Tablet, 2 Sep 2013
Mr. Alan Nash "Alan" (Woodford, UK) - See all my reviews
I cannot fault the iPad mini. Having a series of tablet in the past (windows) and recently an Andoid 7 inch. This knocks spots off any of them. I chose a 16GB as I know the fairly limited number of apps I require. The amount of music and videos are also not a priority for me plus I think the price Apple charge for increased memory is excessive, an extra 140 for another 48GB whereas the cost of a 64GB usb stick is around 10. With apps being store on iCloud and having all the apps I require (50 apps) I still have 11.5 GB free. The screen resolution is excellent and find the size of the mini is ideal for being on the move but still large enough to use with ease. Seeing people with the standard iPad look more like they are carrying a PC around. I have a broadband only T-mobile SIM and this works perfectly. Neat on the go computing. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Execellent Gadget, 28 Jun 2014
The best price ever. very pleased with its design and performance. Very good battery life. Suitable for children and adults

5.0 out of 5 stars Best item I have bought., 28 Nov 2013
Easy to use great for gaming. I find it to be better than a PC and of course portable. Battery life good

4.0 out of 5 stars This one went KAPUT!...., 12 Aug 2014
jack v (BEXLEY KENT) - See all my reviews
Now onto my second iPad as the first one went Kaput! I had just gone to Hong Kong with it and it stopped working. I was gutted as I was using for messages home and pictures. Apple in HK had to re formulate the hard drive so lost everything. Never worked well after that. Eventually Apple changed it for a another. Others have had similar problems. So may be a little unstable at this point of its development but a very good product never the less.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must!, 8 Oct 2013
Tiggertoo (Blackpool, England) - See all my reviews
Bought to take on holiday to Portugal. Bought a Portuguese nano Sim when abroad so avoided data roaming charges when wifi not available. Easy keeping in touch with emails and face time, invaluable information source at the fingertips. Takes excellent photos. Only downside, battery runs down quite quickly....

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 5 July 2014