5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music making in Brahms Violin Concerto.
Lisa Batiasvili is one of a very few violinist/musicians to bring a fantastic fusion of consummate violin technique and original musicality to her performances. Her Brahms concerto is superb and she is well supported by the Dresden orchestra and Thielemann. You are bound to return again and again to this performance. Attractive filler in Pieces by Clara Schumann.
Published 5 months ago by Mr. M. Hughes

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could be more enthusiastic about this disc...
Published 22 months ago by Robert Roy

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish I could be more enthusiastic about this disc..., 7 Jan 2013
Robert Roy (Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Johannes Brahms / Clara Schumann (Audio CD)
I've been looking forward to this cd since I was first aware it was in the pipeline and I had high hopes as I popped it into the cd player this morning. I suppose it's a tall order to expect one player to sweep aside many years of recording by all the greats of wood, horse tail and sheep's gut but I wasn't expecting to feel so unfulfilled by this modern mistress of the instrument.

I've followed Ms. Batiashvilli's career with interest since I was lucky enough to hear her at the Edinburgh Festival some 14 years ago, when I was bowled over by her musicianship and technique. All her recordings since then have received good reviews and I have bought them all and enjoyed them. And yet, this time...

There is, IMHO, a feeling of 'going through the motions'(albeit on a very high level!) I was expecting Thielemann to be big, beefy and slow with lashings of Brahmsian gravitas but, surprisingly, he is quite brisk in the opening tutti and I hoped this was going to be Brahms re-assessed for the 21st century. When Ms. Batiashvili enters, her octaves really burn and I thought this was going to be something really special. However, about half a minute into the solo part, the whole movement seems to lose impetus and the remainder turns into a kind of rhapsody. The sense of 'sturm und drang' seems to have been lost. The conductor seems happy enough to chug along with his dreamy soloist giving a sense of 'isn't this work so easy'. (Try Ida Haendel with Celibidache or Anne-Sophie Mutter with Karajan to hear the difference).

The cadenza is an odd affair. The timpani booms away like a thinned down Greek chorus whilst the soloist meanders around. At the cadenza's conclusion, the orchestra joins in with a few bars that Brahms certainly didn't write. Whilst I have no issue with soloists composing their own cadenzas, it would have been useful to have had some explanation in the notes about this.

The other two movements are similar in their approach. The uncredited oboe soloist is superb and this movement is the most successful in this performance. The last movement simply refuses to catch fire and is rather limp.

For me, the highlights of the disc are the Three Romances by Clara Schumann. The playing from both Batiashvili and Alice Sara Ott is gorgeous. The disc is only 47:31 so I'm sure there could have been much more of this.

A wee bit disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful music making in Brahms Violin Concerto., 21 May 2014
Mr. M. Hughes - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Knocked me out!, 21 Mar 2013
PGMorris "Petergmo" (Brighton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Johannes Brahms / Clara Schumann (Audio CD)
I'm no expert on the classical violin repertoire, indeed I've probably listened to more cello recordings over the years, but I won't hold back here - I found this recording absolutely stunning. I've never heard such beautiful playing as in the Brahms and the violin/piano duets are charming. I can't wait to hear more from Ms. Batiashvili.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lisa Batiashvili is awesome!, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Johannes Brahms / Clara Schumann (Audio CD)
Wonderful performance of the Brahms violin concerto - it really is fantastic - the Clara Schuman stuff is good too

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 April 2013
Performance: 5 stars.
Recording: 5 stars.
An excellent CD. I love her playing on this disc. This version of the Brahms is a total joy.

Johannes Brahms / Clara Schumann
Johannes Brahms / Clara Schumann by Lisa Batiashvili (Audio CD - 2013)