‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A very clever walk over a musical tightrope - Best of 2012., 18 Nov 2012
This review is from: (III) (Audio CD)
they've transformed yet again, dagnabit!! -

i've read the reviews. but then what's a review compared to a great work of art, but then only time will tell...a great work of art - maybe/maybe not, but who really cares either way. my ears,brain and feet are loving this to no end. some have heard just one long drone from beginning to end my copy is full of spikey/odd-shaped/morphed dance tones from the past and future.

It was love at first listen for 1 (I don't think all my neighbours liked it though) each song was great but it didn't stick together and flow like an album, 2 has really great moments too and there are certain tunes which I just flat out disliked Not in Love/Violent Dreams - I like it less than 1. This is a great album - start to finish - there's not one song I don't like. Some things which are making me nervous about this record: could be played in certain parts to your mom Sad Eyes (no, not Insulin), I wish it had a few more of the short/outburst songs like Doe Deer and the 'background' vocal section in Affection reminds me of a choir - that's not a good thing.

Vocals are 'treated' but to really great effect - definitely an asset here. The tunes are so good you'll overlook anything - just accept them as part of the whole. There's almost a 1950's girl-group effect to some of this vocally - then the showroom dummies play out some great melody line from another angle (Violent Youth), Kerosene is my favourite - with a keyboard line the likes of which i haven't heard since Anne Clarke/David Harrow's Our Darkness - beautiful.

I hate long reviews too so to sum up: I want to dislike this but the horripilations running down my back say NO, my feet and nodding head say YES. I love this album. I don't see how they could possibly top this so I'm wondering if this might be their great album before the commercial fall.

I just can't say enough - a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cyberpunk future music, 9 Nov 2012
This review is from: (III) (Audio CD)
Crystal Castles deliver the usual mix of pulsing riffs, bloops and bleeps as in their last two albums with Alice Glass screeching barely audible anxty lyrics through distortion and electronic manipulation. The real music of Future Noir. A slice of a Philipdickian/cyberpunk possible future where technology and humans are indistinguishable. Still not quite premier league, but fascinating non the less. They are playing in B'rum soon, but I am working. Shame............

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present..., 12 Jan 2013
This review is from: (III) (Audio CD)
My son had this album for Christmas and has not stopped playing it. Great! Found it easy on the ear too for a change!

4.0 out of 5 stars lovely, 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: (III) (Audio CD)
Just lovely, really enjoyed this record and have been something of a fan for many years. A welcome return. Ace!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›