4.0 out of 5 stars ***BE WARNED OF HOW YOU INSTALL IT***
So I installed this fantastic cooler on my new Corsair 650d case, a Z77 Sabertooth housing a i3770k processor running at 3.5ghz. New build, hadn't even installed Windows 7 yet.

It should be noted, that I replaced the stock H100i fans with 2 Corsair SP 120mm fans, "quiet" editions, designed to push air through radiators.

I OC'd the CPU to 4.5ghz via...
Published 16 months ago by Matt

1.0 out of 5 stars beware - keep an eye on it.
It was great while it worked. kept my cpu nice and cool under a moderate overclock.

Published 4 months ago by Michael Dyer

4.0 out of 5 stars ***BE WARNED OF HOW YOU INSTALL IT***, 26 July 2013
Matt (South West UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Corsair Hydro Series H100i All-In-One 240mm Digital High Performance Rad Liquid Cooler for CPU (Personal Computers)

I OC'd the CPU to 4.5ghz via the bios straight away, Windows loaded. Good, no voltage problems then.

Checked the idle temps, they were running at around 35-40c with my CPU OC'd to 4.5ghz. Okay, fine I guessed. Seen higher.

Under full load, after an hour or so of Battlefield 3, I minimized to desktop and checked CPU-Z to see the CPU temps. 80-85c. Wow, that's hot. But hey, I'm OCing.

Turns out, that's actually FAR too hot.

Hmm, problem then. I uninstalled the H100i and looked at the CPU. Only about 3/4 of the CPU was covered in the thermal compound that comes with the H100i pre-applied. That's...weird.

I checked online, and apparently the mounting bracket, although completely symmetrical, HAS JUST ONE WAY TO BE INSTALLED on the back of the motherboard. It has 2 notches that have to be oriented upward. Because the backplate is symmetrical and fits at whatever orientation you want, you never assume you've installed it incorrectly.

This is the single, most common error H100i users make.

I re-oriented the backplate and installed the H100i again, AND swapped the SP fans to the stock ones as, apparently, they run cooler if louder.

Fired her up, checked the idle temps after leaving Windows running for about 10 minutes while I had some lunch.

Idling was now 20-25c across the 4 cores. Played Battlefield 3 for an hour again, same settings, same overclocked as earlier, max temp reached was 63c, the other cores at 59-62c. MASSIVE difference.

Turns out then, that because I orientated the backplate incorrectly, the CPU block fited, BUT, I wasn't getting full, flush contact over the CPU. So my temps went higher than they should have been.

I'm going to wipe away the stock paste and replace it with some Arctic MX-2 paste I just recieved, and I assume it will drop the temps a few more degrees. Because as we should all know - lower temps = more overclocking potential as well as longer component life expectancy.

-------------------------

The radiator, fans and CPU block are easy to install. It's all pre-sealed and liquid filled already, never leaks so don't worry. It's one whole unit, so the radiator, pipes and CPU block are all attached already. You just have to attach the backplate to your motherboard (if you can't access the back of your motherboard via your case, INSTALL THIS BEFORE INSTALLING THE MOTHERBOARD otherwise you have to take the motherboard out), screw in the fans, screw the radiator to the case's ceiling, attach the 2 fans to the adaptor, connect that to the block, connect the included mini-usb to the block and to the motherboard for the software to work, and connect the CPU fan connector to the motherboard, and you're done.

You have to hold the backplate in place as you screw in the mounting screws for the plate that attaches to the CPU block, which you then tighten into place using 4 nice and chunky thumb screws, so it can initially be a bit of a fiddling pain to get the screws into place. More annoying is holding the CPU block in place so you don't smudge the compound around too much when putting the thumb screws on.

Also, for some reason, the stock fans don't have arrows on them to show air movement/direction. I had to refer to my SP fans from Corsair to conclude that if the Corsair logo is facing you, the air is moved away from you.

The stock fans are surprisingly loud under max RPMs. And my PC sounded like a jet taking off when I installed them.

But the H100i comes with incredibly easy to use software that you can control the colour of the CPU block logo, see the CPU temps and voltage, but most importantly, the fan speeds. They were set to max because the SP fans were so quiet, so I set the software to have then running as fast at they could. I changed the setting to "performance" so the fans would throttle up and down when needed, and they instantly went from around 2000 RPM to about 1300, and quietened right down.

I do wear headphones while gaming so don't hear the fans, but taking my headphones off under full load...yeah, the stock fans could be quieter But CPUs are confirmed to run cooler on the stock fans, so it's a sacrifice I'm willing to have.

When I apply the thermal paste, I'll give the fans a run again and see what the temps do. I'll then note them and swap the stock fans for the SP ones I have so they run quieter, and see what the temps do then. Find a balance somehow.

The manual is kind of useless. It just says, for example, "install the fans" with an image. What orientation?

"Connect the backplate and use the screws to secure." Well, it's for AMD AND Intel chips, each requires a different screw type that comes with the H100i. Which type do I use? I'll use this type. Nope, wrong, that's the AMD ones after trying to mount the block and realizing the screws were too short.

Just unnecessary frustration.

Also, the fan connector/adapter you attach to the block that runs the radiator fans is a little flimsy, and hard to install as you can't see the top of the block if your motherboard is in the case (why wouldn't it be if you're installing the radiator?).

So a little finicky to install with slightly dumb instructions but does tell you all you need to do, just not how sometimes, stock fans are slightly too loud under full load but then I am OCing an Ivy Bridge chip, so it's going to get hot.

BUT.

Incredible cooling with a solid, well-made feel.

Worth the purchase.

1.0 out of 5 stars beware - keep an eye on it., 2 July 2014

The pump however failed in under 5 months. This can be very difficult to spot. You can usually hear the pump starting up when you boot up your PC to let you know its working. failing that, run some software in the background to monitor temps. I suspect the pump may have failed much earlier but crashes only became apparent when summer came around.

5 stars however for amazon customer service who have refunded the purchase, less than 20 minutes after i emailed them i might add.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Cooler for nil to moderate overclocking & stress testing, no deal-breaking complaints, 2 Nov 2014
I was never sure if I was going to need this level of cooling, but I installed it in my new system anyway.

I wanted a heavy duty gamer and high end graphics editing machine and so that meant I needed a decent processor. I also wanted to experiment with overclocking. So which cooler? I opted for water cooling and then, because I had the case for it, the H100i.

Installation was fairly straightforward, although the coolant tubes are pretty unyielding and you have to try several fitting options before you get a comfortable fit. There seems to be a lively discussion about whether the fans go on as 'push out' or 'pull in'. I tried both and have seen no appreciable difference, although that will depend on the airflow around your case and your exhaust. I've opted for 'pull in' because it increases the pressure inside my case. Dust is a bigger issue for me.

The bit that I found most tricky was the thermal paste. Too much is as bad as too little, but I think I got it right second attempt.

So does it cool? Yes. But whether it was worth the eighty quid, I don't know.
I've tested with the H100i, with stock and without anything.

Here's a tip. DON'T run a i7-4770k CPU without cooling! The temperature soared and I wasn't doing much. Not hot enough to shut down, but enough to make me nervous.

The stock intel cooler is fine for all day to day stuff, but when you stress test with Prime or overclock a little, the CPU starts to get very hot very quickly.

The H100i when properly fitted does remove a lot of the worry. The CPU warms up under prime, but is about 10 deg cooler. Overclock the CPU a few notches and the H100i manages it pretty well. Higher overclocking, again, I started to get nervous as the CPU edged 65 deg. However, I added a second pair of 120mm fans and now push/pull through the radiator and it works.

Two cons.
1.What I would like to have seen is the cooler coming with the correct amount of a top-of-the-range paste, already in place on the cooler plate. Saves guessing.
2. Using the supplied longer screws in a pull or push/pull configuration crushes the edgers of the cooling fins on the radiator. It doesn't affect the performance, but it does look kind of lazy of Corsair to not fix this simple thing.

I think, like all after market coolers, it is all too easy to fit it badly, especially the thermal paste. Don't be afraid to take off, clean up and try again.

Conclusion:
It is a good cooler and if you want to overclock, I'd recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant All in One Loop, 8 Jan 2013
I bought the H100i as part of a Chassis transplant a couple of weeks ago, sofar everything has been fantastic a exept the fan noise and the pump's SATA power cable is a bit flimsy and cracked when first connected.

It's only 4 Stars because the supplied fans are ridiculously loud at anything over 1000rpm and Corsair's alternative Static pressure fan the SP120QE is a about 50% lower performing.

The fan noise issue was resolved by swapping the SP120L's for a pair of AK-FN058's which have a much better noise to cooling ratio (because you can run them at full speed all the time without any audible noise vs the corsair fans having to run slower for silence and thus giving worse cooling performance)

Stats @ Max fan speed;
AK-FN058 are 1300rpm 57.33CFM @ -16db- & 2.64mm/H2O
vs
SP120L are 2350rpm 62.74CFM @ -35db- & 3.1mm/H2O.

For prospective buyers, get some high pressure silent fans to swap with the SP120L's and use the SP's with a fan controller as a case intake/exhaust.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed, 24 Aug 2014
Fantastic! I am honestly blown away by this item in comparison to air cooling. I had a Phanteks PH-TC14PE, which did a reasonable job. Got me to a max of 4.5Ghz but during summer, I had to stop overclocking as the temperatures were overwhelming.

This is only day 2 of having it but I am capable of clocking my 4770k at 4.7Ghz at 75c compared to 4.5ghz going into the mid 80s.

Case is a 530 Phantom and motherboard is a Hero VI.

H100i setup consists of 2 stock fans located at the top and 2 Noctua NF-F12PWM located at the bottom blowing air from outside the case.

Corsair AF140-LED on the side as intake.
Corsair AF140-LED inside blowing towards the GPU.
NZXT 200mm Silent Fan LED Red as exhaust on the front.
Stock fan on the back as exhuast - thinking of replacing this with a Corsair AF120-LED.

Thermal Compound Arctic MX-2. Pea method used when applying and evenly screwed down the waterblock.
Ambient tempatures range from 22-25c
Idle is 24-28c
Vcore at 1.37. Tests were done with 'Intel Extreme Tuning Utility'

Including this info as I know what it's like for researching online about other peoples experiences with overclocking.

Had some slight issues with installation but as this is my first closed loop, it's to be expected.

Still very early days and I have read some horror stories, so I'll try and keep this review updated.

4.0 out of 5 stars and it seemed to be working fine, until later that day, 14 Oct 2014
I really want to give this 5 stars, but after the trouble it put me through, I just can't. I built my first PC the other day, and it seemed to be working fine, until later that day, it turned off without warning. After turning it back on it worked for about 5 minutes, it turned off again. I left it for a while and tried again. It worked for longer but, you guessed it, it turned off again. At first I thought it was a fault with the motherboard, with the Q-code telling me there was a fault found. With some help from the people over at Reddit, I took the cooler off the CPU, cleaned off the thermal paste that comes with the H100i and reapplied some of my own. That stopped the unexpected shutdowns and the problem was solved. Now it is working fine and my CPU is running cooler with my thermal paste than the stuff provided with this cooler. One thing that annoyed me about this cooler was the stiffness of the tubes. It was initially very difficult to install the cooler on the CPU without the radiator getting in the way and banging off the sides of the case, and taking it off to reapply the thermal paste was an absolute chore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 July 2013
I Construct gaming PC's for a living.

I recently decided to build my own rig, and to take it look al nice i wanted one of these in.

Its amazing, very silent even with the default fans, you can customize the led glow color to make it match the rest of the rig for a really nice, sleek professional looking PC.

i love this product so i gave it 5/5 HOWEVER, from the 100's of overclocked pc's i've built, i can tell you with 100% confidence, this thing doesn't actually cool that much better then say a cooler master evo212.

now it does cool a little bit better, but not enough to justify the extra £70

but this product if :
You want a super nice tidy inside of your pc ( which also helps general airflow )
You want a good vacuum ( trust me you do ) sucking the air our of your pc.
You have spare money

Do not buy this product if:
Your building on a budget, get the coolermaster evo 212, its £20 and only just a little bit worse then this...

So yeah, overall it does the job, looks pretty neat, keeps the system clean looking, but its not something i could without guilt say to you is worth paying the extra £70 over a evo 212.

Hope this helps some people

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, this is a gamble, 19 Nov 2014
Ales Mav (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this in March 2013. Was very happy with it for about a year and a half. Then yesterday all of a sudden my machine shut down for no apparent reason followed by a smell of burned electronics. Yep, you're right, this product started leaking where the tube is connected to the CPU heat sink. And the cooling liquid was dripping right on my HD 7990 below with a water block on it, instantly sending my £800 investments down the drain. Upon closer inspection I noticed that all 4 rubber fittings (2 on the radiator side and 2 on the CPU side) have developed rubber ageing cracks on them. I see that this product has mostly positive feedback, and it is a good product - until it starts leaking, which is only a matter of time. So don't get to confident if it seems to be working perfectly for the first few weeks or months.

I will never consider a similar product again and could hardly recommend it to anyone.

2.0 out of 5 stars HAIRDRYER THAT COOLS DOWN YOU CPU, 16 Aug 2014
Mariano (SPAIN/IRELAND) - See all my reviews
The noise.. what a noise.. when I turned on the pc after installation, Lord Almighty, the noise was like a hairdryer kind of. I immediately opened the case because I was sure there was something not fitted properly.. I was wrong. That is the way it is: VERY NOISY.
Just to try, I took two 120 fans from my case (NZXT phantom) and place them instead of the corsair ones.. is like a breeze, no noise. So Im sending this back and gettting some other coolers quieter than this. Seriously, it will ruin your gaming, and you will end with a high degree of deafness over time.
So the ones that state that this product is quiet are either deaf already, or they work for corsair he he ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice piece of kit for those with smaller setups. Compatible with AMD and Intel!, 11 Nov 2014
I have just finished installing my H80i into my PC. I went from having an overheating CPU (80 degrees C +), because of a stock fan and old thermal paste, to having around 40 degrees C while playing high end games. What was great was that I thought that I would have to remove the motherboard to add a bracket to the back of it, but it turned out that I could just use my stock one! The only real, and minor, problem that I had is that I installed the cooler with the Corsair logo upside down because my RAM was in the way, but oh well. The two fans that come with it are quite loud, but if they perform better than silent ones then why complain.