on 26 November 2014
I bought two of these DVD Writers to use with two Asus Netbooks. The DVD Writer does all that one would expect it to do and I think the build quality is quite satisfactory considering the budget price. A few years ago these external devices were a lot more expensive so I feel it represents pretty good value. Being able to use it without an external mains power supply is a big bonus and is seems to be able to draw sufficient power of any USB 2.0 or 3.0 socket that I have tried. The power drain, even when running on the Netbook battery, is quite minimal.

The big down side has nothing to do with Samsung but with Microsoft and using newer hardware running Windows 8.1. In their infinite wisdom Microsoft have decided that 'nobody' uses the CD/DVD format anymore so it is not included in the Windows Media Player. Fortunately there are plenty of good free DVD players available to download on the internet rather than paying to upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro to get the DVD playback capability. It's just a pity that Samsung didn't ship a full version rather than a trial version on the DVD Installation Disc that comes with unit. For those 'luddites' amongst us who still might want to rip a CD or watch a DVD rather than 'stream' all our media then this is a very worthwhile purchase!
on 12 December 2014
If you have a laptop with a low power USB port you may have a problem - a single low-power USB does not provide enough power to run this drive. The manual suggests you buy a Y-cable that runs off 2 USB ports, but that doesn't help if there is only a single USB on the laptop, as on my Surface Pro 3. I had to return the drive and buy a different one with a seperate power input.
on 1 October 2013
A very useful device which I bought to use with my Mac, since they now come without a disc drive. Works absolutely fine, no problems. However, just to clarify - this is a USB 2.0 device, so obviously is compatible with 3.0 sockets but will not work at 3.0 speeds. This may seem obvious, but I felt that the ad. was a little unclear, so I was unsure when purchasing as to whether this was in fact a 3.0 device (which it is not). Still, plenty fast enough for ripping CDs/DVDs. Well worth the money.
22 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Sadly it states it works with a mac but only partly! No software suitable for Mac and Samsung no help, just suggested buying software to use it so I returned it!
on 30 June 2013
Seems to burn DVDs at the same speed of the internal burner in my last computer (in other words, fairly slow). This device has a tray rather than being slot loading. This may be old-fashioned but I like it: there is very little risk that a disc is going to get stuck in this drive. The tray is fairly flimsy. DVDs may not be fashionable these days, but I think they are great for backups. My new computer came without a DVD drive and I had the option to pay almost three times as much for an Apple drive. Hard to improve on.

As another reviewer has said, this DVD Writer uses USB 2 not USB 3 and that information is in the product description (Hi-Speed is a synonym for USB2) so I don't know why Amazon is labelling this as USB 3.
on 7 November 2014
Stopped working after about a year. Didn't even use it much during that year as performance was patchy. Bought a new one but couldn't get that one to work either even though I was using s Samsung laptop to connect it to. In the end bought a Maplin branded one and so far so good.
on 30 December 2014
Needed a DVD player to attch to my Macbook Air and didn't want to pay Mac prices for only occasional use. Whilst this doesn't have the design flair of the Mac kit it does the exact same job. Put away your pretensions and buy one of these. At least you wont be worried about scratching it when carting about in your bag or rucksack. Buy one - it's great.
on 21 October 2015
Ultra simple to install, his worked perfectly for nearly a whole month. After plunging into a new Mac it was happily importing CDs into iTunes with no significant problems. I also used it to burn a DVD of archived files from my old PC before disposing of it. Then, after a few weeks of pretty light use - some tracks on CDs became unimportable because "the disk was not found". Uh? Then whole CDs - brand new ones too - could not be read, imported or played. Now - after 6 months - it cannot read anything, including DVDs that it has burned itself. Yes, it was cheap but COME ON! I would advise anyone needing this for a Mac to bite the bullet and pay the significant extra cash for Apple's official portable disc drive - which is what I'll have to do. It has to be better - it certainly can't be any worse - and you'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble and money into the bargain. (hopefully, anyway)
on 28 October 2013
What can I say? My DVD/CD facility on my computer stopped working a few weeks ago, a new internal writer your talking around £50 - £60, I can buy a secondhand internal player for around £10, but the question is how long would that last better new then old. I brought a cheap external player for £9.99 CIG and it was no good, I got a replacement and that did work with 80% of my dvd. I decided to look for a branded item when I found this Samsung and right away it played my DVD/CD all of them, for £19.99 brand new I was over the moon, in fact I brought another two for my other laptops and does all what I need. Not only is this at a very reasonable price it's a great brand, I might never have to buy a laptop again when the DVD player goes as this is just as good. Not only that it as only one lead most of the cheaper brands have two leads, this product is really technology at its best.
on 24 February 2014
Costing ten times less than a replacement drive for my Macbook Pro, this purchase is a non-brainer. It works fine and I have replaced the internal DVD drive with a second HDD instead.

Update: 19th Feb. 2015. The USB socket at the back of the drive has broken away from the circuit board and looks unrepairable so I'll have to throw this drive away. Pity because it worked fine with my Macbook. The socket is not supported by the casing so applying a little too much pressure with the USB plug results in it snapping off. BTW, should anyone need to open this drive up; there are two cross head screws concealed beneath the back feet and then the lid slides backward a centimetre before coming loose.