5.0 out of 5 stars Relatively inexpensive and it works!
A family member recently bought a new all-in-one PC believing that it supported Bluetooth. Some of the range apparently do, but not the specific model purchased and several others even lower in their specs and pricing.

Published 14 months ago by Andy_atGC

3.0 out of 5 stars Linux compatible... but only just
I bought this product specifically because I needed GNU/Linux compatibility, but I was not happy with what I found. I have since returned the product (thanks Amazon.co.uk), so the following has been written in retrospect in order to inform others.

Published 12 months ago by FSHero

3.0 out of 5 stars Linux compatible... but only just, 11 April 2013
This review is from: Plugable USB Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy Micro Adapter (Windows 8 and Linux Compatible; Classic Bluetooth Compatible) (Personal Computers)

I use Kubuntu Linux 12.04 amd64 running the 3.2.0-38 kernel. When the adapter is plugged in, it enabled me to transfer files between my phone and my PC 'out-of-the-box' with no further configuration. However I was not able to use any advanced Bluetooth features such as sharing my phone's internet connection with my PC.

In Windows XP, all the functions are available. (However I had to install the adapter's own Bluetooth management programme as well as the drivers; it does not use Windows XP's own Bluetooth management options, which is a shame.)

Further inspection of the problem revealed that this Bluetooth adapter is based on a Broadcom chipset. The device ID:vendor ID is 0a5c:21e8. I noticed in the output of dmesg that the device required firmware:
[ 16.069102] Bluetooth: can't load firmware, may not work correctly

A quick search led me to this Launchpad page:

It elaborates that some users are having difficulty in uploading firmware to newer Broadcom devices. This was my experience too. Perhaps newer kernels are able to successfully upload the firmware, but I was not on my version (see earlier).

During my attempts to upload firmware, I figured out (by browsing through one of the .INF files that Windows uses to install the driver) that the required firmware file's name is:
BCM20702A1_001.002.014.0187.0259.hex

You will need the HEX2HCD utility to process it into a form that the Linux firmware loader can use. (I successfully produced a .hcd file, but I couldn't load the firmware on my setup unfortunately.)

I hope that the above helps someone in making their decision to buy, or getting it working after buying it. It seemed to work, but it doesn't integrate well with Windows XP's own bluetooth management, nor did all of the functions work in Linux 'out-of-the-box'. Thus I give this product a decidedly unremarkable 3 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relatively inexpensive and it works!, 29 Jan 2013
Andy_atGC (London UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

This adds that function and in a small, and largely forgettable once installed, adapter. Although partly plug-and-play, it will install the Microsoft Bluetooth stack and Bluetooth driver but not the Broadcomm driver sometimes needed for audio use with speakers, headphones and some other devices. It does however come with a CD that allows installation of the missing drivers. However, as the PC runs Windows 8, the AutoStart function appears not to work and you will need to run the setup program manually via a file browser. There should not be an issue with prior versions of Windows. The CD also supports Linux for those who use that system.

As this device supports Bluetooth 4.0, it is a better option than some of the cheaper offerings which support only Bluetooth 1.0 or 2.0.

Recommended!

POSTSCRIPT @ 23-05-2013

This device appears to conflict with Logitech's Unifying Adapter which is used for many of their mice, keyboards, touchpads etc and is therefore commonly employed. As the consequence is erratic cursor or keyboard behaviour, it may therefore be necessary to disconnect whichever of the two is least essential at any one time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sorted!, 22 Nov 2012
Even after installing a new driver, I couldn't get a dongle to work with W8. After great communication with plugable support..decided to give this adapter a go. Worked first time! happy bunny ^_^ ..buy with confidence! :) x

5.0 out of 5 stars Tips for Windows XP installation, 28 Jun 2013
James B. Spink "Jim" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I have two of these - one in use with a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 and the other with a Samsung Netbook running Windows XP. The first one - in use with the Vaio - installed easily first time and performed exactly as expected; the second one - in use with the Samsung - was a lot more difficult to get working!

My Samsung Netbook does not have an optical drive so I had hoped to get the dongle working with some Windows drivers and the custom software downloaded from the net - no chance! I am fairly computer-literate but after an hour or so of trying to get the wretched thing working I was about to send it back to Amazon as a failure.

However - I persevered and eventually got it up and running so here are my tips for XP users. Firstly, don't bother with the Installation Wizard that pops up when the dongle is inserted - close it and forget it. Then forget the custom software download from the web - it just doesn't recognise its own dongle and Windows may try to block the download anyway. Don't hunt for Bluetooth drivers in Windows Update - there aren't any that work.

The only way I could get this dongle working with XP was by installing the software from the provided CD - so if you are planning on installing it on a Netbook you will need to own or be able to borrow a USB optical drive. Then try this: insert the dongle into a USB socket and close the Installation Wizard when it pops up - ignore any error messages. Insert the CD into the optical drive and run it - follow the onscreen instructions until the software has loaded then reboot your computer. A final option box should then appear - choose your options and the Bluetooth should then be working OK - mine did!

Once its working this is a good device so I will give it five stars for that, and running under Windows 7 is a doddle. It has also given my old Netbook a new lease of life - eventually! Good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excelent!, 30 Jan 2013
Very easy install, excellent working on my windows 8 laptop. I recommend this product everyone who needs bluetooth adapter for their pc.

5.0 out of 5 stars does the Job!, 29 Jun 2013
Bought this to upgrade my Windows 7 laptop to bluetooth, so far works fine. Installation fairly straightforward after downloading up to date drivers.
Great price to add Bluetooth compatibility

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't make me blue., 30 May 2013
lapal25 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Excellent bit of kit. Bluetooth 4 is much better than the old '2' and cheap ones. This sends smooth music with no loss of quality over a good range. Good software to go with it to let you do all sorts of things. A very helpful company if you have any problems. 6 stars.
Neat and safe in side of laptop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb little device, 21 May 2013
K. Watts "Bricodust" (Dordogne) - See all my reviews
Received this, plugged it in but was unable to find the drivers on line for my Vista PC.
Inserted the disc supplied with the product and the necessary drivers loaded.
So, within minutes everything was up and running perfectly. Has operated 100% since.
Nice little blue light on device to indicate it is working.
Great product at a great price

4.0 out of 5 stars Value for money adaptor, 21 April 2013
I had a cheaper adapter already and had numerous problems getting it to hook up to my bluetooth devices. When I replaced it with this one there was an immediate improvement in connectivity time and far less configuration problems. There still is the occasional config problem but this may be down to my laptop being a couple of years old. This device is also very unobtrusive meaning you can put your laptop in a bag without needing to remove the adaptor. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly on win 8, 17 April 2013
Plugged it in, Win 8 recognised it, installed the relevant drivers, located and found the bluetooth mouse first go. A does what it says on the tin product.

ARRAY(0xafbe34f8)