5.0 out of 5 stars What you really need to know

Published 7 months ago by A R Willis

5.0 out of 5 stars What you really need to know, 10 Aug 2013
A. Young - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
First the bit that you really need to know. The one very poor aspect related to this combo is the user manual, that at first glance looks very tome - like and impressive ( on account of being written in about 10,000 languages) but is in fact very scant on actual information. In order to fully configure this combo you must go to the Logitech website and download and install the SetPoint software that applies to your PC ie Win 7/8 32 bit/64 bit etc. The manual makes no mention of this at all but it is essential.
That blip is the only real negative for this bit of kit but once you have the software it is simple enough to use and Logitech support will help you on the phone if you are struggling - their number is in the manual !
Now for the good aspects ; For anyone wanting a general use wireless keyboard and mouse combo that can also do more , this is the one. There are six hotkeys that can be programmed to do one action each from a very long list of things, including opening your chosen email client ,any web page or home page as well as opening any app you can find on your PC. Once programmed these keys then just need to be pressed on their own to execute the desired action. There are also four F keys that are programmable which will then execute the chosen action when pressed in conjunction with the fn key,which is a tad inconvenient if you are holding the mouse.All this is in addition to fixed function media keys for volume,skip forward or back, pause and mute
The mouse also has some versatility as you can alter the speed at which the cursor moves in relation to mouse movement and the button's functions can be changed as can the wheel press.
The two are connected to the PC by a very neat and unobtrusive nano receiver that protrudes about seven to eight mm. It is said to work up to 10 meters away but I won't be testing that as I will never be that far away whilst expecting to do anything meaningful on my machine. Enough to say it has never lost connectivity at normal distances.
In use the combo is good. OK,the keyboard doesn't feel as silky smooth as the one on my 1000 laptop , but that's the point, we are talking of a combo that can be had for 30. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing amiss with the keypad and it gives me all the functionality that I want and which my laptop's keyboard doesn't. The mouse works well and feels very nice in the hand, there is no fatigue whatsoever. Both seem well built and I think will last the test of time. I say this because my previous combo was the MK300 which survived several trips to the floor and a full plate of spag bol being tipped on top of it. The only reason I replaced that combo was because it had a usb receiver that resembled a sledge attached by a long cord. I craved a nano receiver.
So to round off I will say this is a great piece of kit at a good price and will , I am sure , give many years of trouble free service.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good keyboard & Mouse but dissapointed with Keystroke Assigment, 22 Jan 2014
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
There's lots that is good about this keyboard/mouse combo - neat, small-footprint keyboard, decent keys, accurate mouse, reasonable price - but there was one big disappointment for me. This was replacing a Microsoft keyboard that allowed me to program my email address onto one of the hot keys, saving a lot of repeated key strokes - think about how many times you type your email address each day (and how often you include a typo and have to re-type it). It turns out that the Keystroke Assignment feature of the Logitech SetPoint software, which led me to believe it replicated the Microsoft feature, is limited to a single keystroke, so you can't assign a sequence of keys. Hence, no good for your email address. I've confirmed this with Logitech support. I'll continue to use it but it's a big disappointment. If anyone knows of another way to assign an automated sequence of keys to a single keystroke I'd be pleased to learn!
UPDATE*** I found a solution to the keystroke assignment problem: I am using a free program called AutoHotkey which allows you to assign any string of characters to any of the Function keys on any keyboard. It's a bit complicated and does a lot else besides, but the online guidance is reasonably helpful and I managed to do what I needed to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech Excellence, 15 Aug 2013
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
Plug in and play, easy installation.
Logitech never fail to please, good kit.
This keyboard and mouse have a good range (tested successfully to about 5 metres so far), good build quality and didn't cost the earth.
Not worth buying cheaper kit if you want reliability.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than fit for the purpose, 10 July 2013
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
I have bought two of these keyboards. The first to replace the keyboard for an 'All-in One' computer. (The keyboard connection had proved useless!). The Logitech proved ideal. I am not computer savvy so was unsure how I would manage to connect the new keyboard. Simple! Plugged in the gismo to the back of the computer and that was it.
The keyboard is sturdy and has many features. I love it.
The other keyboard was to replace one for an old computer which is used for playing games. I was irritated with what seemed a myriad of wires around the place. Again the keyboard proved ideal. No wires, no fuss.
The batteries are long lasting. Perhaps the only point that needs to be made: don't forget to switch off the keyboard and mouse. I frequently forget. That's not a fault of the product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Mouse is unusably tiny, 13 April 2014
ajas2 (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
After using my existing Logitech wireless combo every day for more than a decade, it finally needed replacement and I had high hopes for a Logitech product to do the job. Unfortunately, this product went straight back in the box within 5 minutes and back to Amazon. The mouse is so small that it looks like a child's toy. No hope of comfortably resting my palm on the mouse as I use it. The mouse wasn't even as long as my fingers. I have seen portable mouses this size before, for emergency use with a laptop, but I've never seen a standard-use desktop mouse in a joke of a size like this. Totally unuseable, and I'm now looking for something suitable instead. If only I could buy an exact replacement of my Logitech Y-RK56A from the early 2000's, I would be very happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech, still the best, 30 Jun 2013
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
After I tried to move away from Logitech and got my fingers burnt I bought this desktop and I have to say it they are still the masters at wireless desktops. Yes the mouse is a little on the small side but I soon got used to it, everything else about the keyboard and mouse is classic :Logitech. The mouse is smooth and responsive, the keys have just the tight amount of travel and are perfectly spaced for me.
There is only one problem, in the past you used to be able to program the hot keys so that they accessed non standard programs but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore which is a pity for rebels like me who hate Outlook and IE but with Windows 7 I can pin them to my taskbar so I've not really noticed anyway.
I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone looking for a new wireless desktop, you can even use itr further away from the screen than my poor old eyes can see what you are clicking or typing!

5.0 out of 5 stars great bargain, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
great item comfortable and quiet keyboard, took seconds to connect to my pc. always chosen logitech and they have not let me down with this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unifying Receiver is NOT bluetooth! They're not compatible!, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
If the receiver breaks you can't use a bluetooth receiver. Logitech have reinvented the wheel and made it incompatible with all other types of wheel. Judging by the Logitech forums, quite a large number of customers have had problems with their receivers dying. Logitech charge half the price of this whole keyboard/ mouse combo just to replace the receiver (whereas you can get a nice cheap bluetooth receiver for less than half the price).

4.0 out of 5 stars Good size and responsive, 12 Jun 2014
SaturdayScience (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
What can one say - it's a keyboard and mouse. I like some of the dedicated extra keys e.g. for music playback - quick mute when the phone rings. I find the keyboard keys responsive - I'm never sure what tactile keys are. These keys work well under my chubby digits. I still need to improve my typing skills.

The mouse works well.

I use a docking station with my pc and the wireless USB device does not work when plugged into the docking station. It's a fussy little unit and has to be plugged directly into the laptop. What a spoilt brat? So when I travel (most weeks) I either worry about losing the USB when away or have to remove it and plug it back in. Not what I wanted or expected. Hence a lost star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has a good feel when typing, 24 May 2014
This review is from: Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop (Accessory)
Has a good feel when typing. The function buttons work well to get to internet & e-mail. Mouse is quite responsive

Logitech MK330 Wireless Desktop