5.0 out of 5 stars Twists and turns like a twisty turny thing....
Great movie. A million miles away from the Hollywood conveyer belt. Unpredictable plot twists and very unusual. Great photography and cast. Check this one out. I loved it.
Published 4 months ago by BTS

Published 17 months ago by Puzzle box

3.0 out of 5 stars An initially competent suspense thriller, which soon goes off the rails., 26 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I knew very little going into The Tall Man, other than it did not have anything to do with Phantasm and that it starred Jessica Biel. To my surprise I discovered the film was written and directed by Pascal Laugier, writer/director of the 2008 film Martyrs. Anyone who's seen Martyrs knows how much of a disturbing and unforgettable film it is, so I instantly had a strong curiosity about The Tall Man based on that fact. The film takes place in a small rural town in Washington state, a place where children are known to go missing and never return. There is a fable of "The Tall Man" that is both feared and joked about amongst the townsfolk. We're quickly introduced to Julia (Jessica Biel), a nurse who lives in the shadow of her late husband. We find that she has a young son of her own, David (Jakob Davies) and lives with a housekeeper/babysitter. All seems normal, well aside from the mysterious kidnappings, that is until David is taken from Julia's home in the middle of the night by a dark hooded figure. Really, this starts off like all modern horror movies, but it was a relief to see a fresh take on a horror/thriller. The adds were also misleading as this film was just a regular thriller with a few horror moments. The film built up well but very quickly spiraled to a horrible 30-minute spoon-fed buffet of ridiculousness. The movie starts out good, with kids missing. You think it's a supernatural being as the title suggests, and then you get a dose of reality, the acting was very good from the entire cast but I felt like the script was a bit weak. However the film wasn't that bad but it could have been alot better, and considering the director behind this film only makes this seem even more disappointing. Oh well, better luck next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
After reading the reviews, I expected this to be good, but it surpassed that by far!
I don't really rate Biel as an actress, but she was better in this than I expected. Ferland is fantastic, she is clearly shaping up to be a brilliant actress in her own right, rather than keeping in line with the smaller roles she has in 'Cabin in the Woods' and 'Twilight Saga: Eclipse'.
I love horror films and rarely watch one that intrigues me in any way now. But this was fresh, different and impressive. The acting overall was top, the storyline was developed and it touches upon things that I won't describe as it may spoil the plot, but really get the audience thinking. There is no bad CGI 8ft creepy 'Tall Man' to spoil it either, which I kind of expected.
I don't understand how this is rated 48% on Rotten Tomatoes, they clearly weren't watching the same film as me!
P.S don't buy if you're looking for scares because this doesn't give you scares. This is more a Thriller than a Horror.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinarily well plotted and twisty horror-thriller, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The Tall Man suggests it's going to be yet another run of the mill thriller about a supernatural boogeyman, but delivers something quite extraordinary. Lulling you into a sense of the familiar with Jessica Biel's nurse trying to help keep a destitute small town together, it then proceeds to elevate itself hugely above the pack with inventive clever writing and good performances.
To say anything else about the plot would be to give its many pleasurable surprises away, but suffice it to say that the plot twists, of which there are several excellent ones, are carried off tremendously and feel satisfying, not like the flimsy excuses that often pass for a twist in thrillers. Jessica Biel gets to show off perhaps her best ever range of acting, given far more to do that her usual under-written eye-candy roles, and she shines as the centre of the movie. Wrier Director Pascal Laugier clearly likes to toy with his audience and is one to watch.
If you enjoy the thrill of feeling constantly wrong-footed and surprised by a movie, and never being quite certain where it's going, this is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent thriller, 5 July 2013
M. Brookes - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Tall Man [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Tall Man is a horror tale about a small town where children keep going missing. Local legend blames the 'Tall Man' a mysterious character who haunts the local woods. I have to say that I liked this, the story is excellent and develops in an interesting and unexpected way. Unusually for me I didn't figure out what was going on until near the end, it's always nice to be surprised.

It's well filmed and acted, it's dramatic, but not overly so. It takes a little while to get going, but once it does it doesn't stop until the end.

I'd love to say more, but I fear I might give something away, so I'll just say that it is well worth a watch.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
Really enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting what happened at all. I watch a lot films and was pleasantly surprised by this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars This isn't quite horror, 27 July 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
I had quite high expectations of this film that were not fulfilled. I guess that the premise is interesting enough but it was not what I expected and I won't be watching it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars a good twist to this movie, 28 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
a fantastic horror with a good twist i never expected the outcome of the film so it made for not only a horror but a thriller as well

4.0 out of 5 stars ... not what I was expecting but the film is great, 4 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
its not what I was expecting but the film is great

5.0 out of 5 stars whe be british intel, 1 July 2014
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
a weird film this,,there is a shante town in the usa where children are being abducted and taken into the forest never to be seen again ,a nurse fairly known by the town has a so and daughter,she hears someone in her house at night and goes down to invetsigate to find her son is gone,chasing the van toto deep forest she is attacked by the dog in the van and left on the road in the dark to bbe found by an fbi gent,then it turns out she is the one taking all the kids and accused of killing all of them and all the townsfolk turn on her,she is put on death row and while she is in a tall man takes another child to be sold,and then the young girl in the film that could not talk leaves and is given a new mother and a better life and asshe stays she notices the nurses young son in the same new town as the girl is now living in ,they recognise each other but say nothing ,a good film but strange

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm. Unconvinced., 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Tall Man [DVD] (DVD)
I am a huge fan of Pascal Laugiers previous film 'Martyrs' and have been looking forward to this for quite a while. To put it mildly though, I am completely underwhelmed by The Tall Man.

I think, for the most part, I just have a great deal of difficulty in accepting the premise of the movie. Im not American and dont live in a trailer park, where some of the pivotal scenarios play out in the film, but COULD this actually happen? I really cant buy that it could, especially in a small community like a trailer park situation.

I felt a decent build up quickly evaporated into thriller/horror cliche. With needlessly jarring and loud, meant to be jumpy scenes which rely solely on turning up the audio of a dog bark, chair scraping or door closing to 'scare' you, illogical double turns and actually predictable (if youve seen enough of these types of films) outcomes for the plot. I did guess who 'The Tall Man' would turn out to be, although the overall reasoning was not quite what I expected. And again, for me, it's just not plausible. And then the very end........where the girl sees the boy....apparently living in the EXACT SAME neighbourhood as her....oh forget it!!! Just so disappointingly pedestrian from the mind of the man who brought us 'Martyrs'

Its beautifully shot and well acted mind you but thats the least I expect from any movie these days. Here's hoping for a return to French filmmaking for Monsieur Laugier if this is what his dalliance with the American industry produces.

The Tall Man [DVD]
The Tall Man [DVD] by Pascal Laugier (DVD - 2013)
3.49