5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog book I've ever read
Published on 5 Sep 1999

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious dog lovers only - I couldn't take the repetition.
Published on 25 Jun 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Best dog book I've ever read, 5 Sep 1999
By A Customer
Caroline Knapp's "Pack of Two" is an excellent, easy-to-read story about a single woman and her relationship with her dog, Lucille. They have formed a very strong bond and in the book she explains all its intricacies. She has many antecdotes about other dog lovers, and tries to analyze their relationships as well as her own. I liked this book because it was not wishy-washy, nor filled with a bunch of dull statistics. Read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest, unashamed account of a woman's love for her dog, 17 July 1998
By A Customer
Eloquent yet direct, touching and honest without being sentimental -- this book comes straight from the heart. Excellently written, Caroline Knapp succeeds in verbalizing the thoughts and feelings of dog owners who love their dogs as deeply as they do their dearest family members. She captures with words what many of us have felt and known in our hearts...anyone who has felt lost and alone and turned to his dog for comfort and love will understand what she means when she describes having a dog as "solitude without loneliness." Anyone who has heard "its just a dog" and secretly thought, "No, he's my dearest friend" will see themselves in many places in this book. Those who feel a desire to get a dog but don't know why will likely find the answers in this book -- especially if they've felt deep personal pain. For those of us who love our dogs deeply, but come from families or cultures who consider this kind of love "stupid" or! ! "abnormal," this book is a vindication, a testament that the way we feel is normal, that there are many others who feel as we do. If you fit any of these descriptions, I'm sure you'll find "Pack of Two" as insightful and moving as I have. A warning: though this book is well-written and interesting in itself, non dog lovers may find it difficult to "get into" this book and may well be bored by the details which dog lovers will find delightful.

5.0 out of 5 stars a very perceptive look at human/animal relationships., 1 Sep 1999
By A Customer
i'm so sick of hearing people tell me i love my dogs only because i don't have children. if i wanted children i would have had them, but like ms knapp, i chose to live with dogs. bravo caroline! what a warm, wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for all lovers of animals, 7 Aug 1999
By A Customer
From the first chapter I knew that Carolyn was exactly where I was at. I think the system of values is a little mixed up in this country when people can say you're spending too much time with that animal but it's okay to go to night clubs and bars and "hunt" for a companion. Give me my dog any day!

5.0 out of 5 stars the most touching and compelling book I've read in years., 20 May 1999
By A Customer
This book is perfect for people who own -- and love -- their dogs, yet are stymied when their non-dog lover friends say, "Sure, Barkey is cute, but he is JUST A DOG."
Caroline Knapp has truly communicated the joys of "dog cohabitation" (as opposed to "dog ownership") in a way that even non-dog people can appreciate. Her largely anecdotal work will both resonate with those who have a dog, and will help to shade in mysterious and perplexing areas for those who don't -- and who wonder how people can get so darn attached to an animal.
And, perhaps best of all, Ms. Knapp avoids most of the preposterious dog-as-human-in-little-fur-coat anthromorphism that many writers of less talent and intelligence have used to convey that difficult to describe feeling of being engaged in a reciprocal love relationship with a dog.
As a writer myself, I am impressed -- and a little bit jealous of -- Ms. Knapp's use of language and phrasing to convey both complicated concepts and strong emotions. And, there are quite a few instances of humor in the book as well -- any dog owner who, as Ms. Knapp recounts, is convinced that a neighbor overhearing him or her speak to the dog would think "I'm a goon" will certainly empathize.
Again, the tone of this book is appropriate for both "dog people" and those indifferent to dogs alike. And, for those individuals (you all know who you are) who have fretted while dining out -- or, better yet, refused a dinner invitation altogether -- because of not wanting to leave Rover home alone, this book will speak to your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars a classic for dog lovers, 31 July 1998
By A Customer
last month, my maltese dog, priscilla, died. i had gotten her when she was 6 weeks old, fell in love with her instantly, and stayed in love with her for the next 16 years. my husband bought Pack of Two after reading a book review. in the review, the relationship between caroline knapp and lucille reminded him of myself and priscilla. my husband's concern was that my reading it might be too upsetting for me. on the contrary, knapp's insights into the interdependence between people and their dogs was enlightening, entertaining, and heartwarming. the strenght of the book lies in the psychological assessment of why we bond so strongly to these animals. knapp has really done her homework, citing interviews with psychiatrists, psychologists, veterinarians, and pet owners, as well as reporting research done on the human companion-animal bond. what results is a book that explores the connection we make with dogs. we fall in love with our dogs and they accept us for w! ho we are. we relive our past lives through our dogs and they bring out the best in us. they provide us with constancy and companionship. as i read through the pages, i kept repeating "yes, oh yes, i know houw you feel". i will grieve for my priscilla for a long time to come, but the comfort i derive from these shared experiences found in the pages of this book help ease my pain. bravo to knapp!! this book is bound to become a classic for dog lovers everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully accurate about the bond between woman and dog, 1 Jun 1999
By A Customer
I could totally relate to the book "A Pack of Two" as my dog Max entered my life at a time when I was hurting from a failed relationship. With the love of Max I am healed and reading about how Ms. Knapp and Lucille bonded brought back many happy memories for me.Incidents that she described, not wanting to leave Lucille alone for instance was especially touching. I went through the same thing with Max. I say bravo Ms. Knapp, let us hear more about the two of you.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT, 1 Nov 1998
By A Customer
I just had an arguement with my mother. "Why do you have the dogs? Why put up with the dirt? Couldn't you use the time better? Wouldn't the money be better spent elsewhere?" she asked. I know why I need the dogs, I just could not find the right words to make her understand.
Well, that's okay now. Carolina Knapp has found them and given them to me in this book. She addresses questions of need, of emotional comfort, of substitute relationships ... all things other people condescendingly say to and about involved dog owners. And she gives answers that ring true.
I plan to buy my mother a copy of Pack of Two. She swears she'll read it. If you have been in the same position - defending yourself or feeling guilty because of your love for a dog, get this book. Or if you have a loved one who in your eyes "goes overboard" for a dog, you need to read it too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heartfelt and insightful study, 11 July 1998
By A Customer
I can understand why someone not into dogs wouldn't care for this book -- it's the same reason why a dog owner or someone like me (contemplating getting one) would love it. It is a relationship like no other; friends of mine who have gotten dogs assure me it will change my life, and this book details the many reasons why, both the wonderful and not-so-wonderful ones. I find it lovely and touching. 4 stars only because Ms. Knapp keeps saying "the dog" every now and then for effect, in a kind of overly stylish way. Otherwise, I couldn't wait every night to get to it and read more.

2.0 out of 5 stars Serious dog lovers only - I couldn't take the repetition., 25 Jun 1998
By A Customer
Okay, I admit it: I am not a dog lover, so I'm probably not the prime target for this book. However, I did love Caroline Knapp's last book, "Drinking: A Love Story," and I eagerly awaited her next effort. I have to say I was a little disappointed. At 250 or so pages, this isn't a long book, but it feels like it should have been about 240 pages shorter. Knapp passes over the same territory again and again, often using the same images and descriptions. They're ones that seemed fresh to me in "Drinking" (there's never just rage, but "oceans" or "rivers" of it; "add venom and stir," a great description of anger, has multiplied into at least 5 versions of the "and stir" or "stew" images) but now seem tired and unimaginative. These are stylistic concerns, though - my biggest problem with this book is that despite its attempts at characterizing its chapters with headings like "Therapy Dog," in the end each section is more and more of the same. It reminded me a little of Stewart Smalley, the character from Saturday Night Live who repeated, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me." Caroline loves her dog Lucille more than anything; Lucille loves her (she hopes.) And, gosh darn it, she's okay with that, so you should be, too.