on 4 November 2012
I've been waiting for a while for this book from RL Matthewson. It had alot to live up to after Perfection which is just fabulous. I was sooo pleased when this one didnt disappoint.

Connor and Rory have had a stormy relationship since kindergarden (well introduced by Matthewson in the prologes), they have fought, played tricks on each other, got banned from places and spent nights in the cells. After winning the same contract to redevelop a hotel their stormy relationship continues. Their frustration soon tips over into lust (as it would) and you may well cheer when it does.

As with all RL Matthewsons books the relationship of the two main charcters is forefront but the surrounding characters are as just as important. There is a welcome return of Jason (from Playing for Keeps) and Trevor (Perfection) and various members of the Bradford family (some advice read the other 2 before you read this one - its worth it). The humour, sex and in this one emotional is all there and I have to say that in Checkmate I actually shed a tear.

I loved Connor and Rory. This was Connor's story through and through, RL Matthewson writes men so well, big strong men who are more vulnerable then ever when they realise the girl is for them.

Loved this story. I love the way RL Matthewson writes whether its stories like this or Sentinal series..

I really hope she carries on the series.....Andrew maybe???
on 10 November 2012
Loved it!
I've read all of R.L's books, and I've enjoyed all of them, but this has to b one of my favourite's.
Rory and Connor are fantastic characters.
Great story line, and it was one of the most funniest books she's written. The NFH series is my favourite series.

If your a fan of R.L then you know what to expect, but if you've never read one of her I highly recommend this book, its a fantastic read.
on 22 February 2015
Childhood enemies are forced to work together on a lucrative construction project.

This book made my "keeper" list. It's funny and sexy and full of angst. Rory James (a Bradford cousin) and Connor O'Neil are equally hardheaded and bad-tempered. Their epic feud began at age six and has impacted the entire town. Some businesses have banned them for life. Others won't let them both be on the premises at the same time.

I love how Mathewson manages to give us the present day situation and yet smoothly drop in episodes from Rory and Connor's past. They have played some dirty tricks on one another. Little by little, we also realize that Connor's motivation all these years isn't what everyone thinks. We see how time and again he's protected Rory from bigger trouble than he ever caused. This makes his snit late in the plot (when he erroneously believes Rory has two-timed him) somewhat unconvincing. The single episode of drama for drama's sake is the only weak spot in an otherwise great book. The romance itself builds nicely. Lots of spice.

Rory's brothers and cousins...all male...provide plenty of comic relief. Poor Connor comes close to death-by-brother a few times.

With all the funny parts, CHECKMATE still manages to generate serious steam. Highly recommended.
on 31 October 2012
Loved this book, Rory and Connor were a blast!!!! Having the Bradfords and their food issues turn up nicely linked the book with the previous 2 A Neighbour From Hell books. Fingers crossed that there will be more of this series.
on 22 January 2013
This book has to be my favourite of the 3 books in the series so far. It's just as silly and sexy as the others but I think it's the history between the characters which makes this my favourite. I loved Rory, Connor (I'm so glad she changed it from Shia) and their little antics from the start. The author obviously has a great imagination (or a worrying past!).

RL Mathewson is currently taking some time out from writing but Neighbor From Hell #4 is on her to-do list. I'll certainly be looking out for that one.

Favourite quote:
"Sure there were about a dozen other little girls he could have tormented with paint, paste and pushed down into the mud, but why bother when there was always little Rory James around? She was just asking for it with those two little pigtails, tomboy clothes and a little know-it-all attitude. As the school bully, it had been his job to make her life a living hell and he had taken his job quite seriously all those years ago. Hell, he still did."
on 5 November 2012
After discovering R.L.Mathewson about 6 months ago I managed to finish every book written by her in about a week! And when I had finished with them I found myself desperate for more! After eagerly anticipating Checkmate I am so happy to say I was not disappointed! I don't want to give anything away but if you have read the previous books in the 'Neighbour From Hell' series you will know how the stories draw you in with likeable characters and realistic storylines that keep you reading (even when you shouldn't!) I could barely put the book down, even making myself late back to work after reading it on my lunch break! Fantastic characters with one-liners that make you laugh out loud and make you wish you knew the Bradford family for real! I would recommend you read the other series by R L Mathewson as each book is just simply fantastic! If you like books that you can't put down, are full of romance and humour, have a happy ending and are fantastic value for money, read Checkmate!:)
on 9 January 2013
Rory and Connor have known each other since they've been 5. Since day one they have hated the sight of each other. Cue practical jokes and physical beatings. 25 years later they are now next door neighbors.
Things have gotten so bad they have been banned from most of the bars, diners and shops in town. Or one is not allowed in a place at the same time as the other.
Now their separate construction companies have been selected to jointly complete a new hotel. The two sworn enemies must work together to save face and earn a massive bonus. Sparks fly!!!!!!!!
Luv this book.
I have read all of the Neighbour from hell series. I have loved every one of them. I was so glad that Jason and Trevor Bradford ( from the last 2 books) made an appearance. They add to the fun factor. Can't wait for the next one!!!!
on 18 April 2014
I absolutely LOVE this series and this author! I've never laughed so hard as I did when I read Jason and Haley's story, the first Neighbor from Hell book, Playing for Keeps. In fact I've laughed a lot with each of these books.

I actually read this one a couple of years ago, but honestly first time around I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two, for me it lacked the lol humour. However after reading it a second time a few months after that, I learned to enjoy it in other ways, and now firmly believe, whilst it's not as crazy funny, it's still funny and heart warming. R L Mathewson is without doubt one of my all time favourite author's, so naturally I highly recommend her work on this series. Can't wait for more, but not historical ones, from this series.
on 24 February 2015
I didn't realise till near the end of the book that this story is about another Bradford family member even though she has a different surname. It was really good that it was centered on a female this time because all the other books were about the males of the Bradford family and even though i do love the males we've read about already (and they do pop into this book a little) I liked the fact that they weren't in it too much, it made the story fresher. Like all the other books, i feel like you can read this as a standalone but i have to say that you should def read the first book in this series because it was a lot funnier than the others and is my favorite but that doesn't mean that the rest are not as good a read, they are and this one comes in a close second.
on 10 May 2013
Having enjoyed the neighbour from hell series up to now I downloaded this one to complete the series. It took me longer to get into it than the others did. I loved the characters again once I got into the book but I felt there were maybe a couple of things that took longer to accept in this one. Once I was about half way through I found myself hooked.

I really liked the thread running through the series. I would be reading a section and I would think "Ah! I remember him from..." I really liked the way the author did this.

There was one scene between Rory and her father that brought tears to my eyes (sorry no spoilers). Overall it was fun to read and I will be looking for other books by the same author.