on 4 May 2013
I started reading this book because it was the first in a list of the Top 100 Books Of All Time and I was confused why such a title was in amongst the likes of Don Quixote and Crime And Punishment. But the more tales you read the more entrancing is Andersen's style. His recurring themes of religion, death and family take you to a world of moral fortitude and unflinching beauty. A lot of the tales feel relevant even today and the variety of location, character and length mean that they never get predictable or boring. Sure Andersen has some quirky sentences randomly thrown in but Fairy Tales is a must read for every adult with a streak of innocence left. The rest of the Top 100 have had the bar set high.
on 29 May 2013
Whilst on holiday in Paignton, Devon my wife was reminiscing about a Hans Christian Anderson book of fairy tales that she had owned as a child. A book that got lost in the mists of time. Whilst she was out I quickly looked up what Amazon had to offer and quickly came upon this gem. Using the Collect+ service I was able to have the book delivered just up the road from our holiday lodgings the very next day. She was absolutely thrilled and delighted, as were our children. The book itself is very well made and beautiful to behold. The stories contained . . . . well they are Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales need I say more? They contain a magic quality that is sadly absent from modern day children's books. It is a delight to read them for the first time of for the hundredth time. The price of the book considering its quality is almost a giveaway. I certainly and wholeheartedly recommend this fine publication
review image review image
44 comments39 of 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2015
I have been searching in numerous bookshops for original Hans Christian Andersen tales, though it being a classic many bookshops don't have them so i decided to search on amazon. Im generally not too bothered about whether the book is hard back or paperback, or anything else as obviously its the story that matters. That being said the book is extremely ascetically pleasing and i plan to expand my collection of Barnes and Noble collectors classics as they honestly look amazing.. the book is extremely well made with a ribbon attached enabling you to us as bookmark. Personally i think its worth it as i can tell these books are extremely good value for money quality wise.
The delivery was quick and efficient (i ordered it on Friday Morning and received it Sunday afternoon using standard delivery)
My only criticism is that in came in an unnecessarily large box.
on 12 January 2014
Who cannot resist the tales of Hans Christian Andersen.

We've all seen the Disney interpretations - the tales they've bulked out so they could turn them into films & the films are very entertaining but the book reads far better than I thought it would.

If you have been brought up by your parents or others, reading you bedtime stories by Hans then you should read this book. There will surely be titles that you've never heard of unless you're an avid fan of his. I certainly hadn't heard of them all.

I haven't finished reading this book yet but so far I haven't been disappointed by the titles I've read.
on 10 October 2014
Beautiful book. I bought this as a Christmas present for my 4 yearold god-daughter. In an age where some children only read books in Kindle form I wanted her to have a book she'll never forget. The leather cover of this is beautiful and the illustrations inside are of the classic engraved sort. Some people may prefer a book with bright vivid pictures but I value this for the fact that it has a wonderful old feel to it. Ofcourse I cant say anymore than the other good reviews when it comes to the stories. True fairytales the way they should be. I'll be buying the other leatherbound titles for my children and Nieces. Very happy.
on 23 November 2014
I bought this as I am a fan of fairy tales .Lovely illustrated and leather binded, beautiful book. Arrived on time and packaged really well
on 20 June 2015
The book is leather bound hardback in beautiful print, with some illustrations, and is a good addition to one's library. It has all of Andersen's short fairytale stories and many of them make an excellent read with hidden morals. The book presentation and format, and the lovely stories, give great enjoyment. I consider the book a very good value.
on 24 October 2015
Happy to have these fairy tales I started to read them to my daughters and then..... The Storks. When I was reading this story I wasn't sure to be honest if I should continue or not as it was a bit scary...(dead baby thing) but again, it may be that I just am not familiar with all Andersen's stories. Luckily, they are too small to understand but now I have to read all stories myself I guess before I read them out loud to my babies.
on 8 February 2015
This is a beautiful book with amazing illustrations. A perfect gift to all ages.
on 17 December 2014
The most beautifully presented Hans Christian Andersen collection that I have ever purchased, this leatherbound book features the classics and has gorgeous illustrations to boot. Truly feel as though this is unmatched and is the last collection of these fairy tales that I'll need to purchase.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse