4.0 out of 5 stars Ever wanted to be 16 again?
Published on 29 May 2005 by Lis

1.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining...for a few pages
Published 19 months ago by Leyla_h

4.0 out of 5 stars Ever wanted to be 16 again?, 29 May 2005
Lis "chic_lit_addict" (Rotterdan, The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boy I Loved Before (Paperback)
Flora is a 32 year old accountant, she's bored with her job, and not too happy with Oliver her boyfriend. Fear of commitment leads her to wish as her best friend Tashy cuts her wedding cake that she was 16 again! Well life's never easy for a 16 year old espcially when that 16 year old still thinks like a 32 year old! Her parents (who are divorced when she is 32) are still married when she is 16, so she uses this second chance to help prevent their marriage falling apart. She also explores issues that dog her adult life, as well as help provide a happy ending for her best friend Tashy and herself.
This book is a witty, and enjoyable. It really takes you back to your teenage years! I would recomment this book to anyone who has gone past their teens!

1.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining...for a few pages, 12 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Do You Remember the First Time? (Kindle Edition)
I cannot believe I actually paid for this. I thought I might delve into chick-lit for a light bedtime read. This book does not make any sense what-so-ever. I got this on Kindle as I really enjoyed the sample which ends mid-way through the first chapter. I instantly regretted paying £5 for the full book when it turned out that the main character doesn't go back in time (something that may have made *some* sense) but stays in the same time frame only is 16 years old. Inexplicably, her best friends recognise her but her 32 year old life has somehow disappeared and she has taken the place of a 16 year old. The whole thing is confusing, mainly due to the rushed explanations and poor writing. The ending of the book was even more confused, rushed and unsatisfying. This could have been a good read, had the author not tried to be different and made up a strange "going back in time but not" concept. Despite the reviews to the contrary, I found it poorly written and just plain disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good read, perfect for holidays, 24 Aug. 2004
SilentSinger "Wife, mother, reader. Preferred... (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
After the disappointment of 'Working Wonders' Jenny has reverted to form and produced a thumping good read. It's very poignant in places and more than a little surreal, but captures the very essence of the early 30s and the fading of hopes and dreams imagined when one is a teenager. Flora's unworldliness as a teenager is amusing to observe and her good nature shines through.
I would thoroughly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled, 14 Sept. 2005
This review is from: The Boy I Loved Before (Paperback)
I love this book. But be aware, this is the same book as "Do you remember the first time". I've occassionally been caught out by a book being called two different things on Amazon with no reference to it being the same story.

2.0 out of 5 stars rather flawed, 9 July 2009
Rather confusing and rather flawed.I did consider rereading a couple of chapters, but decided it just wasn't worth it. At face value it was an OK read, but if you started to ask "how?" etc, then it didn't really work. Didn't find it especially funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant and Brilliant Again, 21 Jun. 2004
By A Customer
This is one of the best books ever!!!!
A fantastic laugh out loud book. I wish I could wipe it from my memory and read it again and again so that I can experience it afresh every time. Really it had me in splits and even now remembering reading it, I get a huge grin on my face.
Now this is my yard stick, any guy I want to spend the rest of my life with has to read and enjoy this book as much as me..

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Jenny Colgan's Best Yet, 17 Aug. 2004
Tora F (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
People often look back on their life and remember another time when life seemed so good. Selective memories are a common human trait. For Flo her halcyon days were when she was 16. Now she is 32 with a good accounting job, her own flat and a very nice boyfriend called Ollie but the memory of first love Clelland is still haunting her. So while at best friend Tash's wedding she makes a wish on the wedding cake to be 16 again and boom! she wakes up the next morning and she is! When I read the synopsis for this book I thought it sounded like many movies and other books but Jenny Colgan does it in such a fresh way that it is truly original.
First of all it is still 2004 and the only people who have become younger are Flo and her parents. Only a handful of people remember Flo the elder and life as a 16 year old isn't so easy after all. Jenny Colgan brilliantly depicts the modern life of a teenager and how much you change when you grow up. Flo can't understand text messages, keeps getting in trouble at school, not to mention the minefield that is school yard politics. On the plus side, her new much younger physical appearance without the sags and bags of her adult body and face.
I really recommend this book especially if you have ever thought you might like to go back and do it all over again (you know try really hard a school, a different career, that kind of thing). Jenny Colgan's last novel 'Working Wonders' also had a bit of a magical theme that didn't really work but this book is GOLD.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very silly plot relying on bad language for the ' humour', 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Do You Remember the First Time? (Kindle Edition)
Very disappointing after her 'cupcake' books. Very silly plot relying on bad language for the ' humour'. I'll be more careful what I buy by this author in the future, as I loved her 'cupcake/chocolate' books. This was NOTHING like them!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Average, 2 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Do You Remember the First Time? (Kindle Edition)
I am normally a big fan of Jenny Colgan`s books but can`t say I enjoyed this one. Stuck with it willing it to get better but it just never did. The storyline is simply weird & there is little of Jenny's usual humour. As for the ending..... well, wish I hadn`t bothered!! Have downloaded another of her books so hoping that one is better. Disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funnest books I have read, 6 July 2004
I read another of Jenny Colgans books - Working Wonders - and I wasn't too impressed. But reading the description of this one I thought I would give it a try. I am so glad I did. It was fantastic. It was funny the whole way through. It did get a bit confusing at the beginning when you try and work out where / what time she is in. But her thoughts on being a 16 year old brings back lots of memories. Unlike other nostalgia books, she is actually living the past rather then re-telling it. It was a very lovely book, and easy read, a good beach buy. I would recommend this to everyone.

Do You Remember the First Time?