Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.24

on 21 February 1999
I'm completely addicted to Diana Wynne Jones but was scared to read Eight Days because I didn't want to ruin her reputation in my opinion. When i actually got to reading it I swear I could not put it down. I read it over and over and over until I'd almost memorized it. If you are familiar with Diana Wynne Jones, you should definitely read this. It ranks way up there with Dogsbody, Charmed Life and Witch Week.
on 8 December 2000
This book works on two levels. If you just want to read a book about a young misfit and his attempts to help his enigmatic friend, you won't be disappointed. But if you know anything about Norse mythology, you will have great fun spotting all the disguised characters!
on 30 May 2008
I expect Diana Wynne Jones is tired of being compared with J. K. Rowling, though it is true one would find them on the same shelf. I'm a long-time adult fan of hers, having discovered her from my children. She shares with E. Nesbit the virtue of writing books which are enjoyable for, and re-readable, by, adults .I have just re-read this book, which I think it is one of her best. Earlier reviewers have told enough about the plot, I think.
on 6 November 2006
As a lover of Diana Wynne Jones books I read this one and loved it and set it amongst my favourites.

Based upon Nordic legend- she creates a relatively normal boy befriending Loki, a fire demon who he has released from the underworld to bring life to his decrepit family of hyperchondriacs.

A wonderful read from a brilliantly immaginative mind ( as are all DWJ books) You might have read Harry potter books- in my mind DWJ writes from the heart and has far more imagination. Every book is uniquely different.

I read three of the many JK.Rowling books and was bored because Diana Wynnes Jones creates a magic that is unique in every single book. DWJ worlds are wonderful inventions. Start with A Charmed life for the younger members of the family- continue with Witch Week, and aspire to Fire and hemlock. Read Dogsbodyt, eight days of luke, and Black Maria.

Read Spellcoats- and Archer's goon. Enter new worlds and new realities and you will also find that she is far superior to other writers of fantasy. You probably know Howl's moving castle from the movie. This is another favourite story from her pen. I love all her books and if I had my way she would be better known than many other writers of lesser works.

Both 8 days of Luke and Archer's goon have been televised for children in the past. Read and enjoy- these books are well written and beautiful stories. Enter new worlds and soak up the magic
on 12 July 2012
This is another enchanting book from a truly talented author who knew how to create quite magical stories out of what on the surface can seem everyday circumstances. Certainly not as well known as the "Howl's Moving Castle" books, this is nonetheless DWJ at her best; she allows the story to unfold at a near perfect pace and so reveals the layers (and there are a few) in a way that keeps one hooked. The way she conjures up images and paints a picture for the reader is wonderful, a pleasure to read and hard to put down. Another gem from an author whose work I have come to love, I am only grateful that she has left such a legacy of books for us to enjoy.
on 26 February 2014
Yet another masterful blend of realism and fantasy. David lives with his dreadful relatives who are so awful they are truly monstrously funny. The illness game made me laugh out loud as it reminded me of at least one relative and quite a few acquaintances. Under pinning the tale is the myths of the old Norse religions that come with their own whiff of treachery. and sadness.
A great read that all will enjoy.
on 6 September 2013
There isn't a book that I don't love by the wonderful and much missed Diana - but 'Luke' will always be special because it was the first one I ever read. Just got it on Kindle so that I don't damage my old, tatty paperback version anymore. This is not just for children - it's better than most 'adult' books I've ever read.
on 19 May 2009
This is a book that has stuck in my memory from when I read it as a child. It is quite unusual for me to remember books with such fondness, this ranking in my memory alongside "The Enchanted Wood", "Fantastic Mr Fox", "The Boy Who Wanted A Dog", "The Treasure Hunters" and The Malory Towers series. I've tried many searches on the internet to find out what this book was called, only when I remembered a few of the character names did I manage to find the title from among the seeming millions of references to Norse mythology.

I don't recall a lot of books from my childhood, one or two more gems probably lurk in the back of my memory with a bit more effort required to recall enough information to find them, but I highly recommend all of the titles I've listed as well as "Eight Days Of Luke". If you haven't ever read them, or if you have and don't remember them, I would read them again. Like the films I saw as a child, but haven't been able to get hold of - "The Masters Of Time" for instance - they are worth tracking down and getting hold of if possible. I have quite a collection of videos that haven't been on TV for many years, classics that are head and shoulders above the repeated rubbish you see on TV.

I'm off to see if I can track down the titles and author of the science fiction set of books I remember from childhood and would have included had I found them already!
on 29 January 2016
One thing DWJ is good atcis mixing the ordinary in with magic and that is exactly what happens here. David an orphan living with his relatives accidentally frees a boy called Luke from prison trying to curse his relatives. This book puts the norse gods in the real world andhalf the fun is working out what is going on.
on 28 May 2016
It was one of my favourite books when I was a kid. Mum got it out of the library and it got passed around the family healing some wounds. Schoolboy fantasy yes, but a democratic read which touches upon some salient points of adolescence and parenthood.