1,342 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended
When reading at the weekend, I have some rules - I can read before getting up, but must not sit down with it again until after lunch. With this wonderful book, I tore up the rulebook and read it in one glorious sitting.

I was absolutely fascinated by this story narrated by Matthew Homes, a teenager suffering with mental illness in the wake of the sudden death...
Published 19 months ago by Welsh Annie

3.0 out of 5 stars Clearly well written but very, very sad
I think the title says it all - the story is well constructed and very well written and so it flows well to create a compelling read. However, the subject matter (mental illness and its wider effect on a family) is heartbreaking. Not one to read if you're already down in the dumps - although it may make you reflect on your relative blessings.
Published 10 months ago by acb

‹ Previous | 144 45 46135 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 25 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
Really enjoyed this book and I couldn't put it down. Bought a copy for my friend, I just hope she enjoys it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read!, 25 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book so much, finished it in a few hours as I could not put it down, would def recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
wonderfully written book with a lot of meaning. really enjoyed reading it and couldn't put it down. would definitely recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
A cleverly written book, which provides some insight into a mental illness. It was a hard book to put down.
A good story.

4.0 out of 5 stars a really great read- opens your eyes to mental illness, 24 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
I am a nurse but working with adult patients I opted out of working within mental health because I didn't like the idea of it- this book has opened my eyes to my disillusion of mental illness I really enjoyed being inside matts head and even the bits where he was muddled it all made sense. Great book

4.0 out of 5 stars A good description of mental health world, 22 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Paperback)
It gives the outsider a view of mental health world, from both sides, professional and patient. I thought it was well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 22 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
Just a lovely book, brilliantly constructed so you need to keep reading; loved the protagonist and his family. What a sad tale, but heartwarming and realistic as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual story, 22 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
This book for me, fitted into the category that I can't decide if it was really good or just O.K. As a novice, I think it put across the feeling of mental illness quite well, although reading other reviews from people perhaps more experienced with these things than me, it doesn't appear to be the case. If so, view it as a piece of literature rather than an accurate description of mental illness. In my view, if I wanted to read about mental illness, I would read a factual book and not a fictional story, so I am not sure it's fair to judge the book on that aspect. I thought the storyline was quite good, although perhaps a little predictable. I quite liked the main character, and I did like the ending. It took a while to get into, but it was worth sticking with it. I would probably read another of his books.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant writing on mental illness, 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
Liked how the style of writing and language use reflected the mental state of Matt. Full of hope and acceptance

5.0 out of 5 stars it makes you think., 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Kindle Edition)
Very. Good it makes you think there are people out there like matt , I really enjoyed reading it.thank you.

‹ Previous | 144 45 46135 | Next ›