4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky autobiographical concept record
Published on 6 Feb. 2013 by Mr. K. de Jong

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but its not Girls...
Published on 16 Jan. 2013 by nicholas_b

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but its not Girls..., 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lysandre [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Let me say first of all that I am a big fan of the first two Girls albums and Mr Owens's voice and songwriting talents so I really wanted to like this album but I'm afraid I was disappointed - it just didn't do it for me. If you're thinking of buying this because you liked the Girls sound/vibe then you may be disappointed too. Dare I say that much as C.O may have had his reasons for splitting with Girls bandmate and producer JR White, this record is apparently sorely missing his influence, in my opinion.
This may be in part due to the fact that the songs are liberally slathered in saxophone and flute, two instruments which I personally loathe. A disastrous production decision in my opinion. If this is what Girls would have sounded like from the start without JR then I'd bet none of us would ever have heard of them. Gone are the woozy, bi-polar peaks and troughs and bilious burned-out energy in favour of insipid jazz-lite muso noodling.
If Mr Owens had only ditched the band and played these songs un-accompanied, simply voice and guitar, then this might have been an epic album (hence the 3 stars). There are the seeds of wonderful songs here, broken lovesongs from a wounded heart, but the production and arrangements render them sadly impotent.
Perhaps this album will appeal to those who found Girls too challenging or alienating, and C.O will become a huge star, in which case I wish him good luck. My guess would be that there's a lot of hype around this record right now because it's coming off the back of his hot former band, but once the dust settles no-one will care much about this album.
I will be listening out for the next one, as I'm sure this is an artist with a lot yet to give, but with so much great music to listen to and so little time, I can't see me getting this album down off the shelf again. Disappointed but optimistic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky autobiographical concept record, 6 Feb. 2013
Mr. K. de Jong (Belfast, Antrim United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lysandre (Audio CD)
On the face of it, I shouldn't like this at all. It has concept record written all over it and the use of woodwind instruments conjure up images of Jethro Tull at its worst. Songs with 'epilogue' and 'theme' in the title would send most indie-kids running for the hills. Still it is a weirdly mesmerising record. I have to be honest, that I never cared much for 'Girls' and that the semi-acoustic and quick fire character of the arrangements is strangely appealing. Owen's songwriting is without question excellent and his voice draws you in eventually. I agree that some of the lyrics are a bit twee, which comes with the autobiographical territory. The background to Owen's life his artistic approach is a well document and this album is the perfect exponent of it, surprisingly. The single 'Here We Go', the title track and the ballad 'A Broken Heart' are highlights, but really the album should be listened to as a whole. Minor gripe is the recording of a airplane safety announcement after 'Here We Go Again', it feels like an unnecessary break in the flow of the music. Very enjoyable.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed bag, 24 Jan. 2013
Spoondog (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lysandre (MP3 Download)
Bordering on twee & lacks the punch of Girls but still enjoyable thanks to Owens' songwriting & ear for a pop hook. 3.5 stars if Amazon allowed half marks.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopeful, 14 Jan. 2013
Syriat - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lysandre (Audio CD)
There is something about the hopeful yearning of Christopher Owens that makes this debut endearing and rewarding. Its full of great songs, simple arrangements and horns and strings - it might be released in January but sometimes it feels more like summer when listening to this. New York City is a great example of a song that has horns, a female voice along with Owens and a tempo and guitar that reminds you of Shame About Ray era Lemonheads, minus the fuzziness. Or maybe that's just me. Lead single Here We Go starts with a simple acoustic guitar and a voice telling a story (stories are important on this album and songs are sequenced in terms of the story they tell) and then breaks into something more with electric guitar almost sliding in and breaking the mood with a harmonica - this is quite a heartfelt début album. The horns on something like Riviera Rock almost sound jazz infused and it seems to work well. Those are just some of the tracks and perhaps its greatest strength (its storytelling and interconnectivity of tracks) might just be its greatest weakness as on first listen it can be hard to define each track. But that's a small quibble as the album makes you want to listen again and on repeated listens it really comes on strong.

This will please fans of the previous band as much as newcomers and it really is a strong offering. If you like your easy going acoustic singer songwriters then this is for you. Its got more than that going for it though and its well worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 19 July 2013
This review is from: Lysandre (Audio CD)
I listen to this album all the time, Christopher Owens is truly one of the greatest artists of this generation. I can't get enough of it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 9 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Lysandre (Audio CD)
Been a fan of Girls for a long time, his solo album lives up to expectations. Lovely. Gg GDP gf

Lysandre
Lysandre by Christopher Owens (Audio CD - 2013)