Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 11 July 2014
I had high hopes for Lover In Law, with it's intriguing storyline, I thought I would be guaranteed the indulgence of entertaining escapism: Barristers, a celebrity TV presenter's murder trail and an interracial love triangle. Unfortunately, despite it's heavy hitting potential, this story didn't reach to the dizzy heights of compelling excellence, I had expected.

Lover In Law was a likeable read, with a steady pace, albeit a tad too drawn out towards the last few chapters of the book. Despite the author's commendable efforts in attempting to produce a sleek and intelligent prose, I still felt the story lacked a comprehensive delivery.

The character development of all three main characters was the biggest disappointment for me - especially Ali and Anthony. It felt as if the mutual attraction and intensity between Anthony and Ali that the author wrote about had developed during the 'absent chapters' between the last time the author had described them together to the next time, and as the reader, you felt somewhat cheated at having been left out of their supposedly deepening relationship. When they were together, their exchanges were far too brief and the narrative was not descriptive enough to feel any real connection between them. The manner in which Ali's long term relationship with Adam was described, only faired fractional better, however, I still felt the author was economical with her narrative with him too. Adam was depicted as an affable character, so I was very perplexed at the reason given for he's decision to split with Ali after she told him she thought he was having an affair. For plausibility, and he's said affability, would he have taken such an action - especially considering he had been in a relationship with Ali for eleven years, and she was expecting a baby? His reaction/decision was as weak play on the dramatics, on the author's part.

As I enjoy reading about matters of the law and court cases, I was really hoping to get an inside view of the gritty tales experienced by Ali whilst representing a high profile client on a murder case. For me, the author's attempts to illustrate such matters just didn't manage to incite enough stimulus or flair.

I was hoping for a gripping and enthralling five-star delivery, regrettable, Lover in Law was a languished and lightweight three-star read.
on 5 February 2013
I LOVED this book. It was so good that the last bit kept me awake way past my bedtime - it was impossible to put down! The story was well written and the characters easy to identify with straight away. It was a great story with some interesting little twists and a realistic take on modern day life and all the expectations that go with that. A mixture of detective, love, intrigue and suspense! It's the sort of book that makes you question your own morals and principals! What would I have done in Ali's situation - would I have got into it in the first place??
on 17 October 2013
I read another book by this author Weak at the Knees which I loved so much that I downloaded this one too. I love Jo Kessel's writing style - it makes me smile and the story offers something a little different and has some real oomph. Part love affair, part detective, the story revolves around a female barrister Ali who begins an affair with a sexy black colleague Anthony (he is now my official book boyfriend!) and then falls pregnant. The problem is, she already has a boyfriend and she doesn't know which man is the father of her baby. The chemistry between Ali and Anthony was brilliant and the book kept me guessing till the end - I didn't have a clue who was going to be the father of that child and I couldn't settle/put the book down until I'd found it. But I am not going to give anything away...............................
on 23 December 2012
Although I am in the Grandmother age bracket I really enjoyed this book and at times couldn't put it down. It is a real page turner and for her first book Jo Kessell has written a winner. The writing is sharp and to the point, the characters are very realistic and her description of life as a barrister very interesting. Jo kept you wondering who the father was right to the very end. I look forward to another book from Jo.
on 21 November 2013
This is one of the best romance books I've read in a long time. But if you're looking for a straight romance, then this is not it. It's so much more. Yes, the chemistry between Ali and Anthony was deliciously hot and steamy, but the backdrop of watching barristers at work and the big celebrity trial at the Old Bailey are what elevated this from a good book to a great one. It was full of twists and turns and I was kept guessing until the very end about who the father of Ali's baby was. I loved this story and it has stayed with me long since I finished.
on 19 March 2016
Lover in Law by Jo Kessel was a really good read, well recommended. Will be reading more of her books in the future.
on 27 June 2013
Absolutely loved this book and couldn't put it down! Loved all the characters which I easily identified with, the storyline was compelling with it's twists and turns and I even learned quite a lot about the Law which was an unexpected bonus! Jo Kessel is a great author, I love the way she writes, so true to life and often quite funny!

I shall definately be ordering her next book.
on 28 April 2013
I highly recommend this book even though I did not immediately warm to the two-timing protagonist of this story. This is not my usual reading fodder but I found myself looking forward to getting back to the story every time I had to put the book down. Interesting to read about life in chambers and very good storyline. I enjoyed this book immensely and find myself thinking back to it often now that I know what happens in the end. What a pickle that Ali got herself into !
on 9 December 2012
Jo Kessel is a great story teller and has written a real page turner. I was gripped from the start and could not put it down once started. Ali Klerk is a modern day woman and this book covers issues that women could easily relate to. I can't wait for Jo Kessel to bring out her next book. Brilliant!

4 stars
Hotness factor: it was, it bad but it was real - Enrique Iglesias (Escape)

I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review

I like Ali, she's 29, has a long-time boyfriend Adam and a career. She isn't the typical neurotic protagonist you usually find in chicklit novels. Her professional issues are completely legit. However, it is a new year, and her once committed relationship has become an 11 years itch and let not forget the ever-ticking biological clock. Women... Ali wants a baby and she's not getting pregnant. Enter Anthony, new barrister in her chambers, he's gorgeous, confident, a little exotic (I know just the type). What a woman to do? One thing led to many other naughty things and Ali is pregnant with Adam or Anthony's baby.
I really enjoyed the book, especially the end which I've read about three times in the past 5 days. I liked the relationship and connection with her sister Kayla, which strange enough I've had with mine (I got her morning sickness a few times). I liked the mention of Toronto, which is my home. I liked the multicultural aspect of the story and the way it was handled. And London, I love London and I just moved away after leaving there for two years. This book will make you fall in love with the city. It was written by someone that loves as much as I do. I didn't care too much about the case she was working on except for the fact that Scott Richardson oddly reminded me of Alex Zane. Also the pace was a little slow; we didn't get into the matter at hand until about a third of the book but other than that I highly recommend it!