5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Way to Learn the Blues
This book gets a 5 star rating because it is a superb learning package, it has tab that is supported by downloadable audio files and is without doubt a very worth while value for money package.

Published on 3 Feb. 2013 by Don McWilliam

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable introduction but contains errors
I bought this book for my dad so that he had a reference for learning the CAGED system and pentatonic scales. By using the "look inside" feature I was able to see, before I bought it, that the book contained errors. I decided to buy it anyway and manually correct the mistakes. The errors are in the minor pentatonic transcriptions where some incorrect notes are notated...
Published 21 months ago by Dave

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Way to Learn the Blues, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Caged System and 100 Licks for Blues Guitar: Complete With 1 hour of Audio Examples: Master Blues Guitar (Play Blues Guitar Book 5) (Kindle Edition)

The author provided me with an instant and personalised response when I asked for a copy of the pdf files to allow me to print out my working notes. However, if you want to work off you laptop or iPad then that's great too.

The nature of the content is perfect for me, I have knowledge of the 5 postions of the pentatonic scales but the extra information on the relation of the Am7 chords to the scale patterns missed me by, not any more. The quality of the easily accessible and downloaded audio files makes this a complete learning package. The author gives you a lot but also shows you how to develop your own style so that you can go on to do your own improvisation. The backing tracks that you get to work with are great. In fact I could go on and on. I'm glad I found this book and bought it, and so will you be.
Don

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, logical system for learning the fingerboard while playing real music, 29 April 2013
Paul Bowes (Wales, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This e-book is an instructional guide to playing the guitar. Its main aims are: to teach the player a systematic understanding of the guitar fingerboard; and then to guide the player into using that knowledge to play relatively sophisticated single-note lines all over the neck over standard blues changes.

Joseph Alexander clearly knows his stuff. The layout of the material is logical and progressive. The CAGED system of basic chord shapes is used to provide a fixed scaffolding. Once the player can visualise the neck in terms of these simple chord shapes, Alexander demonstrates how this fixed framework can be used to integrate these chords with the minor pentatonic scale, so that the player can move easily between positions without getting lost.

Having taught the basic positions in one key, the book then teaches the player how to play in multiple keys in a single position. The blues scale, mixolydian mode and major pentatonic are gradually introduced. In each case the scale is integrated with a set of reference chords and related to the scales the player has already learned, so that more and more note choices are made available without losing sight of the underlying framework that keeps the player orientated.

This is a very usable manual for self-instruction. The insistence on visual mastery of the fingerboard – illustrated in clear fingerboard diagrams - pays off quickly, and Alexander's musical examples - downloadable from his site - place the emphasis on real music rather than sterile exercises. (The audio files are duplicated in the book in standard notation and tab.) I haven't seen this material laid out in such a clear and systematic manner anywhere else. Although Alexander assumes a basic familiarity with the instrument, he also covers such matters as how to select and hold a pick, and it's conceivable that with a little experienced guidance even a complete beginner could use this book to acquire the basis for a sound technique.

It should be noted that the written musical examples – rather than the fingerboard diagrams - are much more clearly visible on a tablet-sized or larger device than on the smaller e-reader screens. I used the free Kindle for PC software and had no problems. This is the only small reservation I have about the book, which offers a great deal of useful material and a learning system that will be of permanent value for later work. At the current low price it is tremendous value for money.

Highly recommended, particularly for the player who is encountering the limitations of a randomly-acquired technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 21 May 2013
I have been playing a while, but as the author observes, I always go to that same old scale position where I feel comfortable and this I feel is holding back my playing. This book is helping me to get a better grasp of playing in all positions on the neck.
I downloaded the audio files from the link in the book and they are of a very good quality and most useful.
As I bought on kindle I emailed the author for the free .pdf as suggested in the book for printing out exercises and received a mail back with the .pdf file within a few hours :) I like the licks provided, sound very cool to me and the author suggests ways of personalizing them.
Great value for money and exceptional support from the author, I have no hesitation in recommending this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent stuff, 12 May 2013
from frank....

if you are struggling with your guitar playing or don't know what direction to take your playing then try out this book,its a fun way to learn the caged system and you get the bonus of blues licks and check out the website at fundamental-changes.com for more great books and lessons,i like this book and the teaching methods and have purchased another 2 books from the same author-keep up the good work-look forward to more lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value for money, 3 May 2013
I have messed about with blues riffs and licks for years attempting to be able to produce something worth listening to but always seemed to be floundering and eventually got bored and put the old guitar away. I bought this book and asked for the PDF that comes with it. Best thing I ever did with regard to me progressing with my playing.
The book is easy to follow and contains more licks than you will ever need. It explains how the various elements of blues playing come together and so you progress steadily and build on your knowledge.
The audio section is very good and contains backing tracks at differing speeds.
Since I downloaded the PDF I can simply open it on my lap top and easily read and control the bits I want to practice. It also opens up in a far larger format so old codgers like me can read it easier than from the book. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does just what it says on the......, 25 May 2013
For any guitarist wanting an overview or a review of basic to intermediate material for blues guitar this is a must have. Moreover, the additional material and help available from the author are second to none.
GS

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues power within your grasp., 9 Jan. 2015
I've played acoustic finger-style guitar for more years than I care to remember, but have recently diversified, and finally bought an electric guitar. I would recommend this book to anyone who has some basic ability on the guitar and wants to develop blues soloing techniques. The Caged System introduces scales derived from five basic chord shapes, and these can be easily moved up and down the guitar neck to play in any key. Once the scales are mastered, they can be used to solo, with the aid of the included audio downloads. The downloads have a real sonic punch that inspire the player to try and emulate. The next step is to create your own licks alongside the suggested ones, and gradually develop an individual soloing technique. All in all, an excellent tutor that gives results, in fact I was impressed enough to also purchase " The Compete Guide To Playing Blues Guitar Compilation" The Complete Guide to Playing Blues Guitar: Compilation: 4 (Play Blues Guitar)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for learning the blues!, 31 May 2013
This is a great book for anyone stuck in one box position on the fret board.
Progressively takes you through all the five positions covering all the fret board.
I would recommend this book as it is good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big help, 2 May 2013
Although I've been playing a while and following John Ganapes Blues You Can Use programme, I still felt I was lacking a bit of basic theory and struggling to improvise in any key. The CAGED System has taken me a big step forward. It's presented in a logical step by step fashion and all makes good sense. I'm a lot happier and a lot more free on the fretboard now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues Soloing Boxes Now Connected, 9 April 2013
Having played blues style guitar for many years and been stuck in the same soloing box between frets 5-8 and being reluctant to jump up the frets without losing the thread, this book has given me a new lease of life. It shows very clearly how the five positions for the main blues scales interact with each other so you can move seamlessly up and down the fretboard.

The author also reacted very quickly to help me to download a pdf version and the audio files. Very helpful indeed.

I would recommend this book to anyone, whether a beginner or more advanced in blues playing. There is always something to learn and the audio backing tracks are there to help improve your confidence.