5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable Beard trimmer for stubble
Firstly, I already have a beard trimmer from Philips, which I have left a review for and which is actually quite good - it has a built in vacuum system to capture your trimmings and which works quite well...my father also has the same trimmer, based on my recommendation.

Published 15 months ago by Mousley

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodish product spoilt by dumb design finish
Cuts beard well, although cutter head is rather narrow so it takes more time than others I have used.

Dumb things:

Comes with a little brush ... A little tube with bristles. The brush is round so there is no way to put it down without it rolling away.

You also get a small bottle of oil as you are supposed to oil it every time...
Published 13 months ago by Mr. I. Cunninngham

3.0 out of 5 stars Goodish product spoilt by dumb design finish, 11 Feb. 2014
Mr. I. Cunninngham "IanC" (Wiltshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Panasonic Wet & Dry ER-GB40 Silver Hair and Beard Trimmer (Personal Care)

Dumb things:

You also get a small bottle of oil as you are supposed to oil it every time.

The charger stand is quite big and incredibly nobody thought to include a couple of holes to hold the roll away brush and oil bottle; mine are now held on with an elastic band.

I am used to buying devices with adjustable plugs that include clip in bits to convert from euro or us to uk. This comes with a moulded uk plug with a fixed in cable which would be a boon for many other products. But for this it is particularly dumb as you can't swap the 3 pin to a 2 pin to use a shaving socket; 3 pin sockets are rare in a bathroom (electrical safety rules).

The charger glows all the time when on ... Doesn't tell you the charge state or apparently stop when charged.

I think thought was a bit lacking during the design phase.
Shame as the device is OK.

Still, I only have to use it for 3 years as one other thing you are only told after you buy is that the batteries will only last for up to 3 years and can't be replaced.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comfortable Beard trimmer for stubble, 29 Dec. 2013
Mousley (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

However, there is one major problem (for me anyway) with the Philips and with other beard trimmers, in that the cutting teeth are quite large - similar to normal hair clippers and as such, if you use the trimmer without the guard to take your beard down to stubble, it rasps your skin and leaves you feeling quite sore.

I need a trimmer with very small teeth, similar to what the barber uses round the back of your neck etc.

There are a few available from wahl etc, but they come packaged with 20 or so extra fitments and nick-nacks like nose hair trimmers, detail cutters and so on - which amount to gimmicky tat - I just want a good quality trimmer with small teeth that does one job and does it properly.

And this is it. Small teeth, a rounded edge to the metal blade so it doesn't stick into your skin and a nice quiet operation.

It can be used in the shower also. This isn't critical to me, but it may come in useful not having to wipe up little hairs from every surface in the bathroom.

Basically, it works and does a very good job. Highly recommended.

I hope this review helps you.

5.0 out of 5 stars I was sceptical at first...., 10 Oct. 2013
I read the great reviews on this and got it at a great price but when it arrived the shaving head looked the same as a very poor cheap one that I already had. Boy was I wrong! This doesn't tug, slip or nip any hair on the face or my head! Even through thick head head it breezed through it like butter where cheaper alternatives would slip and tug and struggle. This just powers through! HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beard & Hair Trimmer, 23 Jun. 2013
First beard trimmer I've bought but have been using a normal hair trimmer for years. This baby does the job of both. The click wheel is great, really fine control down to half millimetres. I had this about a month now, I use it two to three times a week and am still on my first charge. Great to just rinse it out under the tap too. All in all, perfect for me!

4.0 out of 5 stars Look no further, 1 July 2013
I've had a number of trimmers before. Never really did the job and quality often poor despite quite expensive price tags. This one does the job. Very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful and long lasting charge, 14 May 2014
Cuts through any beard length at ease. Battery life is amazing easily lasts me a 1month+ of shaving every few days. Very good build quality and the adjustments increment in 0.5mm which is really handy. Saves me a lot of time over my old cheap Bayliss beard trimmer

Bought this due to all the other positive reviews and have been very happy with my purchase.

I'd recommend the silver version over the blue one - I got the blue one at first but think the silver one looks a lot more expensive/professional in the flesh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gives a lot of control but..., 7 Feb. 2014
I decided, after much deliberation, to buy this beard trimmer to replace my slowly dying Remington. My main reason for purchasing it, and the only reason I haven't replaced it with another already, is because of the wonderful control it gives over the length of the trim. My Remington had a huge jump between settings 4 and 5 (about 1,5mm) and it was that middle ground I wanted.

However, there are a number of things that Panasonic really could have done better:

1) There is no battery alert. I don't know when I need to charge the thing.
2) I didn't realise this when I bought it but you have to oil the blades. I'd never encountered this in the 15+ years I've been shaving so it was a big surprise.
3) It does not contour well.
4) Hair gets everywhere. Plus the little cleaning brush that comes with it couldn't dust a butterfly's eyelashes. You'll need something better.
5) I remember one reviewer mentioned that it is slow. 'How can a shaver be slow?' I asked myself. Now I know. It's like shaving with a snail that is on the verge of losing interest in the activity. Seriously slow shave.

If you're looking for a lot of control over your trim length, then it's great. But that's really its best feature.

1.0 out of 5 stars Let down by poor quality build, 20 Feb. 2015
At first it seemed like a great product, if lacking a bit in the power department. It feels nice in the hand, is easy to clean and you can precisely adjust the head for the perfect length. But...

... the biggest problem and the reason I'm giving it a one star rating, is the poor design of how the head clips on. Held on by two very small, flimsy pieces of plastic, I was always concerned that it wouldn't last. A year later and the plastic has snapped on both sides and the guide no longer stays on, rendering the whole shaver completely useless. Money wasted and electronics going straight into landfill. There isn't anywhere to buy spares either.

Don't waste your money, get something that will last.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best trimmer I have bought in years, 1 Jun. 2013
Whitefern (Ashdown Forest, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
.. and I have bought a few! Why don't most last more than a few months? This one is easy to use trimmers cleanly as is easy to adjust. Best of all it has a long battery life... yippee .

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything I was looking for in a beard trimmer - and then some!, 27 Dec. 2013
A. M. PECK (Ipswich, England, UK) - See all my reviews
First, let me say that my old beard trimmer recently died. It had served me (not necessarily well) for about 20 years! Yes, 20! It had an adjustable head that seemed to push the hair flat, or slowly get closer and closer to the blade as you used it, so I had always used a comb to lift the hair and the naked trimmer blade to cut. It was a non-rechargeable model that used 2 x AA batteries, and for about the last 2 years I had been getting fewer and fewer shaves from each set of batteries. At the point of it's total demise, I was getting one shave from a set of batteries - I guess the fact I had taken to lubricating it with olive oil hadn't helped, and it's age may have had something to do with the fact that the blades didn't exactly glide smoothly, which meant it drained a lot of power just to move the blades. But, it had been my first beard trimmer, and I was nervous to try another. Now that I was spending in two months (on batteries) what I would have spent on a new beard trimmer, it was time to take the search for its replacement seriously.

I knew what I wanted. I wanted a beard trimmer that would lift the hair from my face to ensure it was evenly cut, was rechargeable, had a distancing head that was locked in place, and was easy to clean and maintain. A quick search on Amazon showed I had about 12,000 choices... Hmmm...

After a lot of reading of reviews (both here and on other sites), I chose this Panasonic ER-GB40 beard trimmer.

It arrived quickly, took a couple minuted to unpack, and I proceeded to charge it for several hours. Finally, my first use moment was here! And (as pitiful as it may sound!) my life was changed! Oh... My... Goodness...! What a TOTAL revelation!

First, let me just say that I quickly learned that my old beard trimmer was not only blunt, but was ridiculously outdated! I hadn't even begun to consider that beard trimming technology would have come so far in the past two decades! It was immediately apparent that my hesitation to buy a new trimmer was not only completely unjustified, but had likely cost me LOADS of money (in batteries) and LOADS of time (irreplaceable).

The Panasonic ER-GB40 has an adjustable head that LOCKS where you dial it to - as soon as you 'click' it to the desired setting, you know you're going to end up with the length you wanted, and that's it won't be moving from that setting without your doing so deliberately!

The adjustable head has a 'clearing' above the blade, meaning it 'scoops' and lifts the hair away from your face for accurate cutting, rather than pushing the hair flat like certain other types.

It's rechargeable, so spending a ton of money on batteries every month is a thing of the past! And the base is well designed to have a small footprint and not take up half of a shelf.

The feel in the hand is different to what I was expecting, yet 'just right' once you become accustomed to it - clearly the designers knew a few things about bear trimmer ergonomics that would never have entered my tiny brain!

But the most fantastic thing about this beard trimmer is that you can just rinse it off under the tap! You can even use it in the shower! I want to kiss whoever finally designed such a wonderful beard trimmer! Forget beard trimmers that claim they vacuum the hairs - just trim in the shower and be done! No mess, no fuss! Pull off the adjustable head and the blades, give everything a quick rinse, shake it out and reassemble - it all takes a lot less time than having to fiddle around with a little brush to clean hair out!

The manufacturer suggests to oil before and after every use, but I believe that's overkill and I'll likely oil every second use, before I use it. What I do know is this - if the unit fails because I don't oil it enough, I'd have no hesitation to buy another in a heartbeat!

In short, this beard trimmer has turned out to be everything I had been looking for in a beard trimmer - and then some!

Buy one, now. Even if you believe your existing trimmer is perfectly fine. Especially if your existing trimmer is 20 years old! It really will be the best investment you've ever made. Unless you bought Google when it was less than $5 per share - then it might be the second best ;)