5.0 out of 5 stars This camera is out of this world., 30 Jan 2013
This review is from: SONY A99 Translucent Mirror Interchangeable Lens Camera with Full Frame (24.3MP, CMOS Sensor) (Camera)
I recently bought myself an A99 to replace my ageing Sony A900. I'm very glad I did.

I use my current Sony gear to shoot sport and action photography and have always been more than happy with the results. The only place I felt it could have improved was the low-light capability, which is why I decided to opt for the new full-frame A99. It is far lighter than my A900 and apparently the lightest full-frame DSLR currently available. This can usually mean a drop in build-quality, but not in this case. The camera feels rugged and sits in my large hands well. The A99 certainly feels bigger to hold than it actually is.

I already have a host of Sony A-mount lenses, so they all work on my new body. The A99 makes the focusing with some of the lenses even better, as not only does it use the standard phase detection system, but also enables on-sensor focusing with certain optics (the 24-70mm f/2.8 is one of these) so give faster and more accurate focussing. I honestly didn't think I would notice a difference, but it is pretty amazing. It has to be seen to be believed.

I have been using an EVF since I got an A55 a couple of years ago and it was greatly improved on the A77, but Sony has managed to improve it even more with the A99. After a couple of minutes, you don't even realise you are not looking through an optical viewfinder. The option of focus peaking and image review through the viewfinder is brilliant. The latter, particularly in bright sunshine. Having an EVF also means that outside of a studio I don't need a light meter in tricky lighting situations such as snow. I have What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get exposure preview in the EVF, so can make adjustments before the shot is taken. It also gives a fighter pilot style horizon level, which featured in the last two EVF cameras I owned, so I am happy with that.

I also shoot a fair amount of video and Sony has equipped this camera for those of us which like to shoot video too. The hotshoe has changed back towards a standard shoe (although the Sony one is far better equipped) and the control on the front is silent in operation so there won't be any annoying clicks and noises appearing on your video footage as you change volume etc. There is also a headphone socket which is a very welcome addition. The aforementioned control dial can also be used to change between photo modes, such as focusing types.

The camera takes two SD cards, which can be used in several ways. One for stills & one for video, one as a back-up or one for RAW and one for JPEG files. It is a very versatile system. The A99 can also be used tethered to a laptop, which is very handy for studio photographers.

The camera has all the functions you would expect of a camera at this level, plus things like Sweep Panorama, which may seem like a gimmick, but as soon as you use it you will be hooked.

I was happy with the image quality of my A900, but this camera is streets ahead. The images are far crisper, with punchy tones and very little noise, even at higher ISO levels. I can now shoot at ISO 800 or ISO 1600 without worrying about interference or degradation.

Am I happy with my A99? Yes, I am over the moon. Would I recommend it anyone looking to upgrade? Yes. You will not be disappointed. Please don't only consider Canon or NIkon when looking for a pro-level DSLR. The A99 wipes the floor with both of their offerings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive upgrade from the a65, 6 Sep 2013
I bought this as an upgrade from my much loved A65 with a small amount of trepidation, not knowing how much better this would be given the already excellent IQ of the A65 (which shares the same 24MP sensor as the A77) Very happy to report though that it's exceeded all my expectations, and the photos it takes have so much depth and detail. It absolutely excels in low light (the A65 was very poor here in my opinion) and I have no qualms about shooting at higher ISOs (1600 etc) as required which still results in details images with minimal noise.
The only thing I miss is the popup flash which on the A65 I used as a wireless trigger, but there are other solutions to this which I've not yet persued.

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome tool., 5 Feb 2013
Having owned plenty of DLSR and recently DSLT models from various manufacturers over the years, I was, like many others very keen to see what the unique Sony A99 had to offer upon release. Several months down the line I feel I can now make an accurate judgement of it's capabilities and thought I may take the early opportunity to share my views with anyone looking into buying one.

As I also own a Nikon D800 I am able to make a fair comparison between the two rival models. Both have their merits, so rather than just write a review on the Sony Alpha 99 I will make my own comparison between the A99 and Nikon D800. Many will potentially look at both cameras before purchasing so I hope my experiences may help someone out there. Unfortunately I have not used the Canon 5D Mk3 enough in the field to make an accurate assessment of that model here. I rarely shoot video so will write this review in reference to stills photography only.

If you want the short version, don't read any further just go ahead and buy the A99. It's a great all rounder with some fantastic glass available to use. If you want to read why I believe you should buy it over a D800, then carry on reading.

In my eyes the advantages the D800 has over the A99 are only the high resolution and the optical viewfinder. Of course image quality is great with that amount of detail but I have grown to realise where the D800 lags behind. Firstly, you will notice the huge file sizes from the 36.3mp sensor filling your buffer up, then your memory cards, then your hard drives. This quickly becomes a pain. In the first two weekends of shooting with the D800 I added more than 200GB of images to my archive which shocked me, and also shocked my wallet when I then had to head to Maplin's for more storage. File sizes are usually 50% larger than those from the A99's 24.3 mp sensor and although this represents a huge difference in your drive's capacity, I have not found it to be discernible in image quality. An image from one of the popular 16.1 mp APSC sensors will easily print up to A2 so I believe 36.3 million pixels is complete overkill for the majority of people that will be looking to buy the D800. This extra resolution really does make a difference with camera shake and motion blur meaning you have a very sensitive bit of kit in your hand. I was amazed how visible camera shake is, even using shutter speed/lens combinations that would normally have no issues. I find myself at least doubling the shutter speed just for peace of mind which then means I have to compromise with ISO. The viewfinder is large and bright, but I have issues with the eyepiece fogging over whenever it is near my face. Overall the build quality is of a high standard but I do have a couple of annoyances with the camera.

Focusing has to be the key drawback on the D800. To put it bluntly, it is slow and inaccurate. Whether this is just my copy or not, I do not know. There are issues with the focus points and not just those on the left, as many have complained before. When using ANY focus points that do not sit in the central area, I find the camera hunting in a very jerky fashion which worries me, considering my investment! It does not feel like it should be a final product, not in this respect.

Moving onto the A99, I sometimes shoot at night so I'm sure one could understand the preconceptions around electronic viewfinders here but nothing else compares to this one! I've been told the components are exactly the same as those in the Sony Alpha 77's 2.44 million dot XGA OLED viewfinder but there really are some significant improvements here. This EVF will allow you to shoot in some incredibly low light and using the exposure preview you get a viewfinder almost as bright and punchy as your final image. You have a range of information displayed here and for the more 'particular' amongst us, the digital spirit level is much better on the entire Alpha range. I find the D800's viewfinder spirit level hard to see unless you are repetitively tapping away on the shutter release, and it is far less responsive. I honestly believe anyone can fall in love with electronic viewfinders, you just have to get used to them and break free from the `old school' attitude.. Being able to review images in the viewfinder is a godsend and something you can't appreciate until you have become used to it. I often find myself checking in the D800's viewfinder now which leaves me feeling quite stupid. You also have functions like the amazing 'Peaking Focus' which makes manual focus an absolute dream, especially with lenses that do not have AF such as the 135mm STF.

Working on tripods a lot of the time I have grown to find the A99's flexible screen invaluable when trying to find interesting angles and I'm amazed none of the other manufacturers have used these on high end models. Yes it is more vunerable than a fixed screen but if several Sony SLTs can survive a year of my rugged, often careless use without one screen breaking, then I believe that is a testament to their strength and durability. You can even turn the screen around to prevent damage and also further extend your battery life. Talking of battery life, I notice little difference between the two but of course the A99's digital operating system will not last quite as long. The D800 definitely chews it's way through the ENEL-15 battery power much more than it's little brother, the D7000 does though.

I am a huge fan of battery grips. The Nikon disappointed me greatly here. Firstly, at 350 ish the MB-D12 grip is extortionate. I was offended! Not only that, but you can only get one battery in the grip (retaining one inside the camera body). You could step up and get the ENEL-14 battery which the D4 uses... Altogether, with the charger, you are looking at spending nearly another 500 for this... on top of the grip itself!!! This is just incredible and I refuse to spend that amount of money purely out of principle so I grin and bear it, sticking with the ENEL-15 batteries which just about do the job.

Sony however, used their heads! The VGC99AM grip takes 2x NP-FM500H batteries, whilst retaining one in the body. This combination has not run out of power on me once. Sony seem to be addressing these little issues in a much more consumer centric manner than Nikon here. I also like to have the extra strap loops to attach a hand strap to the grip. This and the dropped position of the grip's shutter release creates ergonomics that effectively glue your hand to the camera. I love it.

Image quality on the A99 can't be faulted. I will happily use it up to ISO 6400, which I also find to be my usable limit on the D800. I see no need to use a higher sensitivity, apart from shooting test frames while developing my composition in very low light. One thing that does stand out to me is the richness in colour and contrast of the ARW files. I often add a hell of a lot of vibrance to raw images from the Nikon, and rarely with the Sony. There is something about the colour and tone with the images from the A99 which has a much more natural appeal. Tonal graduation is a dream and so is the amount of detail. 24.3 million pixels is plenty, do not be fooled. Well, unless you have plans for that billboard over the road but even then it would cope well.

Focusing on the A99 is, in my opinion, much less hit and miss than with the D800. It is very fast, very accurate and can be relied upon with good faith, even during high speed bursts. I love the silent multi controller which I have set to control ISO the majority of the time. I would like to see the 102 focus points spread further throughout the frame but even without these I find autofocus very rapid and reliable.

Not that I often shoot wildlife, but the A99's focus range limiter is another brilliant innovation. This lets you quickly set your focusing parameters in a very intuitive manner and I have used it for some birding photography with excellent, guaranteed pin sharp results.

Well, to be honest I could go on and on but I would still be heading in the same direction. To summarise, I see the Nikon D800 as a great tool, but only to those who really do take their time and work on a tripod. I could never see myself shooting a wedding with it since collecting my A99, hell I don't think I'd even use it hand held anymore!

If you are looking for an awesome all rounder, the Sony Alpha 99 is far more fun and certainly creates some stunning images. I find using the camera a much more enjoyable experience and it also has a wide range of features available to those that want to use them. Anyone that says Sony's lens selection is limited obviously hasn't done much research. Many old Minolta lenses can be used, but Sony's current range offers some fantastic glass. Their 24-70 f2.8 is the sharpest there is and other gems like the 135mm STF and Carl Zeiss 85mm f1.4 really do make even the most experienced photographer drool. Ok Sony do not make PC-E tilt shift lenses but there is only a small percentage of mainly pro photographers that regularly use them.

Although I have not even begun to tear apart the video aspects of either camera, my views are simple. SLT can autofocus at a very good standard. SLR just can't. If you want to use video on the D800 you may as well just shovel a pile of manure onto your client's desk and call it a day.

So if you still need me to summarise, you can't have been reading!... Get the A99!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super with in handling and grip, 3 Nov 2013
Excellent in low light, even without a flash light.
Nice option the gps.
And of course last but not least the digital level for to your picture straight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camera, 2 Mar 2014
This is a fantastic camera. I've previously owned the a35 & a65, both great cameras, but Sony have really taken it to the next level with the a99 (as you'd expect, for over two grand :) .