5.0 out of 5 stars riding high wall to wall
Published on 4 Sept. 2012 by P. Millar

2.0 out of 5 stars Not insightful or comprehensive enough
Published on 8 Mar. 2013 by pdesai_e-

5.0 out of 5 stars riding high wall to wall, 4 Sept. 2012
Easily the best guide to cycling across Britain. Useful tips on places to stay as well as where to eat and drink. Great pubs listed and interesting accommodation options. The author really makes the route come alive. It's also stuffed with good advice on how to approach each route and their relative merits. I used it for the Hadrian's route and found it made the trip a lot more fun than it would have been without so much info and detail. I am looking for more of this series for when I take the bike over to France next year.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not insightful or comprehensive enough, 8 Mar. 2013
While there is good listings and a good basic overview of the route, there is not enough information and too much advertising. Essentially each entry for places to eat and sleep is written almost as an advert. The listings take up the vast majority of the book with not enough text/graphics dedicated to actual route information. Interesting enough, but besides the point local/historical descriptions cuts the detailing of the route further still.

Maps are very coarse and do not provide much detail (fine if you are smart and carrying an OS or Sustrans map) and this is a missed trick. In some cases, places referred to in the text are not properly indicated on the maps. The route profiles are similarly basic. The poor print resolution also makes the maps and route profiles less detailed than they could be. Route descriptions and profiles are also poorly described when alternative paths are discussed.

It seems like this book might be of use to the 'born with braze-ons' types who are used to touring - it will save you from researching where to stay and eat. But for the rest of us recreational types this information can be found easily on the internet, which leaves us with not much else than a heavy listings magazine, a £10 hole in the pocket and an "it's over there guvnor" idea of where to go and what to expect.

Basically, as a recreational rider (with some experience) I do not feel this book will help me get across the route it attempts to describe.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've got a bike you can ride it if you like . . ., 19 Sept. 2012
Old Pink Floyd, anyone?

As a weekend-warrior cyclist here Maine, USA, I'd been thinking about a trip to the UK for some time, and finally did the deed this summer. But I really had no idea where to ride once I got over there, and preferred to have a plan. So before I made the trip, I Googled some different UK cycling criteria words and came across the C2C, along with a couple of others, including the Reivers and the Hadrians Wall routes, which I had been unfamiliar with. I took a chance on this book after checking out the C2C link. The book provided detailed info on myriad quaint villages along the routes, and includes great pics of the different settings and scenery. It also offers up some great bed and breakfasts, and a fine list/guide to the proximate pubs. I liked the author's tone, and ultimately found this book particularly helpful on my tour. I hope to get back in future years and do the other routes in the book. Ride on. . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Hadrians for the first time, 4 Sept. 2012
As this was my first time doing the Hadrians Cycle way I wanted to make sure i had all the info i would need. I found it in this new edition of the Coast to Coast guide book (i've had older editions but like keeping up to date). It had useful information for finding accommodation, how to split up the journey and details about the towns and villages along the way. The 'What Bike/Gear?' section was really good, I decided on my road bike and was glad i had fitted more robust tyres as book suggested. Can't imagine having done the ride without this guide, it was invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn to love these rides!, 23 Oct. 2013
As a keen cyclist who knows very little about the area, I was captivated by both the subject matter and by the author's skill in guiding me through the routes. The history of the area and the best ways to enjoy its beauty and hospitality really come through in this book and I felt like I had a tour guide along with me who loved the area and was full of practical advice on how to tackle its cycling challenges.

I'd say that the routes are a must and that this book is a must to help you get the best out of your cycling journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars This guide is a very useful addition to the C2C Guide I have,, 25 Mar. 2013
Mike P. "mick-the-lad" (Billingham, Cleveland) - See all my reviews
This is full of very useful information with lists of Bike shops B&Bs, places to eat and alternative routes with much more background info on the towns and villages you go through on the rides. Very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 3 Mar. 2013
Mr. C. I. Raper (uk) - See all my reviews
Bought this book because I am doing the c2c in August, found it informative. And the bonus is it covers 3 c2c routes. Good buy get this and the c2c map and you are ready to go.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative, 8 Mar. 2013
good tips and loads of information regarding places to stay and repair shops etc.waiting for some better weather so we can head off!! could do with more camp sites though.