on 14 March 2014
I'll start with the best things I can say about Coppens' book: he provides an interesting collection of stories covering many topics of archeological interest. These topics are supportive of the idea that human civilization existed earlier than we were generally taught to believe. This what got me to read the book while I was researching related topics for my own "End Times and 2019."

Coppens covers many relatively unknown archeological enigmas in detail, starting with Chapter One's focus on the controversy over Neolithic relics and remains at Glozel, France in 1927. Peruvian pyramids at Caral, an astronomical interpretation of the Greek story of the Iliad, and the idea that copper mining in Michigan and the Bronze Age in Europe both ended around 1200 B.C. were also interesting topics not often covered by others. The book provides a great introduction to many topics that could be considered ancient mysteries, at a level I would think is perfect for curious but relatively uneducated teenagers.

Other comments will not be so supportive of the book's quality. While I agree that many sites support the idea that out civilization is at least 12,000 years old, Coppens writes that some "tools, objects, and legends - are tens of thousands - even millions of years old." (p. 10) He dwells on the carvings of the "Ica stones" for a long time, even though he knows and admits that these carvings of humans riding dinosaurs are "fake" and "controversial." He quotes Cremo and Thompson supportively when they write that "anatomically modern humans have coexisted with other primates for tens of millions of years." (p. 56) I felt that anything was worked into this book if it sounded interesting to Coppens, whether anyone could take it seriously or not.

He dives into some odd topics that make no sense and are not even related to the theme of the book, such as the claim that the American Secret Service in the 1920s was afraid of a Chinese invasion of the United States. (p. 165 - but China at that point was too divided and weak to protect itself from the Russian dismemberment of Mongolia or the Japanese invasion that came in the 1930s.) Coppens ends the book focusing on topics like Atlantis and Mu, Shambala in Tibet, finding the geographical center of Britain and Ireland during historical times, and Shamanic visions and near death experiences.

On most pages the writing was adequate but - sometimes - for no apparent reason - the author linked many phrases - together - with hyphens - or commas - in very long run-ons. Sometimes the sentences would not qualify as sentences. There were enough instances of distorted grammar to make a middle school English teacher wince... and make a reader a bit distracted. I only mention it because I've never seen an author do this so much. It really needed more editing. Later edit: I first posted this review in 2012 in the US, and later learned Coppens had been dying when he finished this book. (And I thought I was under time pressure with my upcoming "Antichrist" book!) He undoubtedly would have had more time and done a better job had his health been better.

But overall my issue with the book is that it treats all "interesting" topics almost equally, whether they merit intelligent consideration (like Middle Eastern civilization back to about 10,000 B.C.) or they claim that humans were making artifacts millions, or even tens or hundreds of millions of years ago. I judge many such things to merit ridicule; Coppens judged them worthy of lengthy commentary, and unfortunately many poorly educated readers will take them seriously.

If you're 13 years old and have never heard of Zahi Hawass, Caral, or Gobekli Tepe but are interested in the idea that the true, really ancient history just isn't taught to us, you'll love this book. If you've read books by Graham Hancock or Robert Schoch or John Michell and appreciated them, you would probably be disappointed.
on 4 March 2013
Really interesting book with some eye opening information on just how deep the cover up on pre history goes!until the academics open there eyes and mind to new(as well as old) information and evidence we will never know where we have really came from.time to throw away the text books and write new ones,and thank authors such as Phillip Coppens,R.I.P brother
on 13 January 2013
An excellent read. Pushing the boundaries of pre-history back further and further. A very insightful look at the prejudices of the establishment and how desperately we need to go back and look at the evidence of the distant past to get to the truth of where we came from.
Sadly, Philip died half way through reading this book. A very sad loss of someone who was undoubtedly at the cutting edge of investigating the ancient past.

If you like this book read The Ancient Alien Question...
on 12 December 2012
I loved this book so much. After hearing the author on the joe rogan experience pod cast, I purchased this book. I read from cover to cover in 3 sittings. It was very hard to put down. Such an eye opener, anyone interested in the history of our species should read this.
on 27 October 2013
Too many hoaxes, tall tales and conspiracy theories in a book written by an author who also believes in aliens visiting Earth. From the same publisher that gave us "Twilight of the Gods" by Erich von Däniken. You get the picture.
on 8 November 2013
Like his other book on the Ancient Alien theory this is a balanced account of some of the mysteries of history and will enable you to go off and follow up on new topics of interest you might not have otherwise discovered. I've already bought 2 other books having heard about them here.
on 22 December 2014