5.0 out of 5 stars Make time for this book, 3 Mar 1998
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Hardcover)
Funerals for Horses is a novel that adds an incredible physical journey to the kind of emotional voyage of The Yellow Wallpaper. Ella's "descent into madness" is more a series of frightening dips into a breathtaking clarity, where the surface of the mind is broken again and again with the haunting memories that threaten to ruin her. Ella's final aim seems not to triumph over these visions but to come to an understanding of their impact and, utlimately, of their origins. Catherine Ryan Hyde creates seamless transitions between the levels of Ella's reality. Most striking to me is the development --within Ella's mind-- of the character of DeeDee. More than a stabilizing, conscience-type voice, DeeDee is a parallel to Ella, an other-world, alternate life version of her. DeeDee's urgings to make decisions based on other-than-sensible logic may be Ella's best defense against her own emotions.

The novel's voice is a crushing one, heavy with layers of sensation that must be felt simultaneously before they can be experienced separately. Catherine Ryan Hyde has created a story that cannot be interrupted, one that will make you miss your stop on the bus, eat cold cereal for dinner, and stay up long past your normal bed time. Plan accordingly; Funerals for Horses is not to be missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for all sentient beings., 12 Mar 1998
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Hardcover)
This is a book borrowed from the library, which I must now purchase to have on my bookshelf to reread in several years to check whether I went where my instincts want to lead me now. Funerals for Horses is one of those rare books wherein a seemingly weak woman harnesses her nature to exceed even her own expectations. The protagonist, Ella, embarks on a journey to locate her missing brother and in the process discovers herself. Any woman who has suffered deeply and wanted to leave that pain for the road she can now see ahead, will feel that Catherin Ryan Hyde gave voice to her emotions. What woman has not wished to hear the words offered to Ella by an old man she meets at a critical juncture of her journey: "You have a mission. Most of us only wish we did. It's the purest, most untarnished way to live a life. All the universe envies you. All the people, the animals, even the sun and the clouds and the night. If we could trade places with you, we would. So we line up at your back in admiration. We are all with you, Ella." The lyrical prose which is Ella's voice will stay with you like the hawk on the Mesa. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars a remarkable book, well-written and powerful, 10 Oct 1997
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Hardcover)
I didn't intend to buy another book, but after I read the short passage inside the front leaf I had to lay my money on the counter. I was not disappointed: This novel was clear, clean, and compelling from start to finish. It was intense but never overdone. I loved the way Ella dealt with her search and how the author resolved the story at the end. So many good books have mildly disappointing endings. Not this one: its ending is dramatic, believable, and inspiring. Funerals for Horses could be made into a great movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 21 Dec 2013
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Kindle Edition)
Took a while to get into the story but was soon hooked. Really did not want to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute must read, 3 Oct 2013
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Kindle Edition)
This is one of the most powerfully poignant books I have ever read. A really compelling story, I couldn't put it down. It is a story of a young girl's dysfunctional childhood and her love and loyalty to her brother. It's about will and determination. You are reading the reviews, now buy the book, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funerals for horses, 26 April 2013
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Kindle Edition)
I thought this book was excellent it explained how different we all are and how we always try to fit in and conform just to be seen as normal when really the question is what is normal brilliant thought provoking book I loved it

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely story, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Kindle Edition)
You have to be in the right mood for this as it first appears to be a little gloomy. However when you get into it, it has an inspirational streak that is really lovely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funerals for horses, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Funerals for Horses (Kindle Edition)
I am so glad this book was 're-released - like all of C Ryan Hyde books, I was hooked on the first paragraph. Not a feel good book but a 'feel it in your heart' book. I love the way she narrates from a child's point of view without it seeming childish.

Funerals for Horses